PDA

View Full Version : 2 quick questions from a European player.

Squeak
October 2nd, 2015, 00:13
I just installed Fantasy Grounds and have two quick questions:

(i) I live in Europe and was wondering how easy it is to find a game for European players. I have managed to find a one-shot game that was hosted in America at a time that id decent for me, but am a bit worried about the general availability of games for European players at reasonable times. Note that I would prefer 5e but would be okay with other D&D/Pathfinder.

(ii) If I purchase the Standard edition (or even the Ultimate eventually to DM without worrying about my players needing to buy licenses) will I have to repurchase when the Unity upgrade takes place? Because if so that is rather off-putting...
(Also might it be better to NOT purchase the Ultimate edition so that this way any potential players would have had to make a commitment of at least buying the game?)

Thanks!

dulux-oz
October 2nd, 2015, 02:11
Hi Squeak, and Welcome!

There's plenty of our people spread all around the world - including "the Old Countries" - you've just got to be patient but you will find a campaign, if that's what you're looking for.

As far as the Unity-port goes, nobody knows as of yet - we haven't been informed. Considering I purchased FG back in 2011 and have gotten free upgrades since then, I've more than gotten my money's worth. :)

My advice, go ahead and jump in - you won't regret it and Doug and Moon (the SmiteWorks owners and Developers) will make it right for all of us - it's the type of guys that they are. FG 4/Unity/Next/Whatever is a fair way off yet (so we've been told), so I wouldn't worry too much.

Cheers

JohnD
October 2nd, 2015, 02:21
Players who have skin in the game are generally more reliable, although that is by no means a blanket statement.

Nylanfs
October 2nd, 2015, 02:53
You forgot to mention FG Con 7 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26079-FG-Con-7-October-16-18-2015) next month, there will definitely be European gamers there.

dulux-oz
October 2nd, 2015, 02:57
You forgot to mention FG Con 7 next month, there will definitely be European gamers there.

I did, sorry :p

damned
October 2nd, 2015, 05:46
Hey Squeak there are more and more Euro players all the time - though definitely it is still quite US centric.
Last night I was working with a Greek GM who was about to start running campaigns for 2 different groups. He just moved over from roll20.

Do come and try it out at FG Con. You can try different systems and you will meet other players and GMs and expand your network helping you find more games in the future.
Fantasy Grounds was begun by 2 Finnish(??) guys I think :)

damned
October 2nd, 2015, 05:54
Unity is at least a year away.
It is unknown what the upgrade path will be.
It is very likely there will be some discounting at the very least for those who bought the product most recently.
It may remain a free upgrade but I suspect there will be some cost to it.
What you say about buy-in is a good point. Some GMs run only a Full license for that very reason. I have an ultimate but I encourage all my players to buy a license anyway.

Wolfheart
October 2nd, 2015, 07:52
I just installed Fantasy Grounds and have two quick questions:

(i) I live in Europe and was wondering how easy it is to find a game for European players. I have managed to find a one-shot game that was hosted in America at a time that id decent for me, but am a bit worried about the general availability of games for European players at reasonable times. Note that I would prefer 5e but would be okay with other D&D/Pathfinder.

(ii) If I purchase the Standard edition (or even the Ultimate eventually to DM without worrying about my players needing to buy licenses) will I have to repurchase when the Unity upgrade takes place? Because if so that is rather off-putting...
(Also might it be better to NOT purchase the Ultimate edition so that this way any potential players would have had to make a commitment of at least buying the game?)

Thanks!

Yup, I've met about 50% Europeans, 50% outlanders, not that I have met that many yet..
Also planning to start a campaign as a European DM once I find out when during the week it is most likely I can actually run a game. I'll post an updated Wanted list here when and if.

Squeak
October 4th, 2015, 01:20
Thanks for all the replies - I am hoping to join a couple of Pathfinder games at FG Con 7.

I am still a bit worried that the upgrade to Unity in a year or two might require me to repurchase Fantasy Grounds. Can I take it that at least the 5e Modules I purchase will still be usable when the upgrade comes out? Also are there usually sales around Christmas, and if so what have previous discounts been?

damned
October 4th, 2015, 01:31
SmiteWorks have pointed out several times that a key element of the upgrade to Unity involves backwards compatibility with existing materials.
You probably will have to pay some sort of upgrade for the base product.
No mention has been made either way of any DLC upgrade costs - my impression is that there wont be costs for DLC upgrades.
Sales are not advertised in advance. The Sale you can probably count on is the Steam Summer Sale. Waiting for that though just means you miss out on all the gaming in between now and then!

Blacky
October 4th, 2015, 05:19
I don't know where you're from, but you might look into your own country communities. For example in France, communities like VirtuaJDR (https://www.virtuajdr.net/) have existed for over 6 or 7 years and provide plateform-agnostic way to find players and GM for remote tabletop rpg in French for a variety of rpg and styles. Other may exist in Germany, Italy, or wherever your from.