PDA

View Full Version : FG Offline question

MonsterVT
October 1st, 2015, 20:22
Considering purchasing FG with all the 5e bells and whistles but I have a question. I run games out of my local gaming store so I am wondering if Fantasy grounds can be run with a connection but in an Offline environment. Can the maps and characters be printed and projected onto a large monitor or projector? I've been playing since the late 70's so I appreciate the books like anyone else but having a resource at the table is a time saver.

Valarian
October 1st, 2015, 21:20
There's no need for an online connection unless you're hosting a game for others over the internet. You can start up two instances of Fantasy Grounds, one as a GM and one as a Player. Connect using "localhost" as the network address for the Player instance and move that on to the second screen. You're players will see anything you share as if they were players in an online game.

MonsterVT
October 1st, 2015, 21:27
How about printing? Can you print character sheets? I run young kids (hard to get them away from video games) to spark interest in RPG's and they have issues with leveling and such, it would be nice to help them level on a screen and just print when done?

Moon Wizard
October 1st, 2015, 21:30
In addition to Valarian's answers,

* The maps and characters can be projected on another monitor or projector using the player instance. They can not be directly printed from FG.
* There is a thread about a tool from a community member about generating a PDF from a character export here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22440-5E-Character-sheet-from-XML).

Cheers,
JPG

Wazoodust
October 1st, 2015, 22:30
In a similar vein, could you play FG over a local connection (switch/router/hub) not on the internet? I don't see a reason why not, but I'm not very adept at networking either.I was thinking of doing this at the local store for Adventure League games.

Trenloe
October 1st, 2015, 22:32
In a similar vein, could you play FG over a local connection (switch/router/hub) not on the internet? I don't see a reason why not, but I'm not very adept at networking either.I was thinking of doing this at the local store for Adventure League games.
You can play without an internet connection as long as there are no free/demo licenses connecting to an ultimate license. When connecting to an ultimate license the free/demo client needs a brief internet connection to verify that the ultimate license is still valid.

Wazoodust
October 1st, 2015, 22:37
Thank You, I wasn't thinking in terms of licenses

damned
October 2nd, 2015, 06:01
Considering purchasing FG with all the 5e bells and whistles but I have a question. I run games out of my local gaming store so I am wondering if Fantasy grounds can be run with a connection but in an Offline environment. Can the maps and characters be printed and projected onto a large monitor or projector? I've been playing since the late 70's so I appreciate the books like anyone else but having a resource at the table is a time saver.

There are a number of other recent threads very similar to this one, including using projectors etc as well.

Mgrancey
October 3rd, 2015, 00:58
Heck, even without others logging in, I generally use FG running RL games when I have the chance. Saves tons of time if I need to reference something rather than having to search for it online or look through a book.

Bigfirie
October 11th, 2015, 03:41
I think that this has answered my questions too. I'm looking at setting up to run with a group in the same room. Not everyone has a PC, but having a shared map that they can see while I can still track PC and NPC locations, ranges etc is an extremely useful tool. I run with a PC and an Android tablet now as it is with rules etc set up, but its looking more and more like FG II will do everything that I want it to do, and probably more. My system of choice is Savage Worlds and the campaign is Slipstream - both well supported from the looks of things.

Anything that eases the book keeping and allows for me to focus on the atmosphere instead is a bonus. Its possible that we will have a 20 inch touch screen PC that we can lay flat on the table for the players to use while I run on a lap top

damned
October 11th, 2015, 08:30
Hey Bigfirie - welcome - and ask questions if you get stuck on anything - lots of help about.
If you havent played with FG yet consider signing up for a session at FG Con 7 - there are 12 or 13 Savage Worlds sessions - just about every flavour going - but alas - no slipstream this time round!
https://www.fg-con.com/events

Bigfirie
October 12th, 2015, 13:46
Thanks mate. I've just installed it with the appropriate module so now its just a question of figuring out how to get the most out of it. The potential is massive I think