PDA

View Full Version : SmiteWorks is growing! We have acquired Tabletop Connect.

ddavison
September 30th, 2015, 14:28
I want to share some news about the growth of SmiteWorks. We have acquired all the intellectual property from Tabletop Connect, the 3D virtual tabletop application that had a successful Kickstarter roughly 2 years ago. The KS project creator, Carl Pinder, has made great progress on his own over the last 2 years and we he will also be joining us as a full-time employee. He should be able to incorporate these 3D enhancements into an upcoming version of Fantasy Grounds, along with additional support for 2D and 2.5D interfaces. Carl has been in the game industry for the last 17 years, working on well known titles such as Might and Magic, Tony Hawk, Medal of Honor, Spider-man, and Call of Duty.

I wanted to thank all of our Publishers and partners, but especially Pinnacle Entertainment, Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro for the opportunity they have presented us. Sharing the licenses for their popular game systems have enabled us to re-invest in the future development of the software so we can continue to enhance the RPG experience for players and DM's worldwide.

To read more about Tabletop Connect, you can check out the website here: https://www.tabletopconnect.com/

Here is the upcoming press release from Carl:

I am pleased to announce that Tabletop Connect has been acquired by SmiteWorks USA, LLC, the developer of the industry leading Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop. As part of this acquisition I will be joining the SmiteWorks team to accelerate the port of Fantasy Grounds to the Unity platform. "

Doug Davison, President and Co-Owner of SmiteWorks added, "We have a distinct vision of what virtual tabletops can and should look like over the coming years and how Smiteworks can accomplish those things with Fantasy Grounds. For that reason, we began porting the core engine for Fantasy Grounds to Unity so that we could streamline and enhance the experience for players and GM's alike and distribute it more easily across all platforms. We've been following the progress of Tabletop Connect since it launched on Kickstarter and we've been very impressed with what Carl has been able to produce as a one-man operation. He shares the same vision we do on many areas and brings a unique level of talent, passion and creativity that is very hard to find. After some great one-on-one discussions, we believe that together we can do more than we could working separately. Work has been progressing on the Unity rebuild for the last year and I am genuinely excited about how the addition of Carl to the team will allow us to speed up the completion of this project and provide additional enhancements to the resulting product. "

During the development of Tabletop Connect your feedback and support have been invaluable. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to the next generation of virtual tabletops and to deliver the experience that you deserve.

As a backer of Tabletop Connect, you should soon receive the details of the realignment to Fantasy Grounds and your options during this transition.

Sincerely, thanks again for all of your support and I look forward to you joining me on this exciting new adventure!

mghauber
September 30th, 2015, 14:42
This is fantastic news!!!! I backed the Tabletop Connect Kickstarter and we had always hoped that the two would merge somehow. The whole will be much stronger than the sum of its parts! Congrats and well done Gentlemen. Let us know how we can all help!!!!!! Excited!!!!!!! Wow.....

Baron Von Mandrick
September 30th, 2015, 14:52
Sounds great. I think it's when for everyone involved including the customers.

damned
September 30th, 2015, 14:56
Congratulations SmiteWorks and TableTopConnect.
You guys keep making good strong moves.

dulux-oz
September 30th, 2015, 15:06
Well done to both SmiteWorks and TableTopConnect.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this brings and how we can help keep on making FG the fantastic software that it is

Trenloe
September 30th, 2015, 15:07
Excellent news! :)

ransolot
September 30th, 2015, 15:30
This is awesome news! I cannot wait to have Fantasy Grounds taken to the next level and seeing what was being done with Tabeltop Connect just excites me even more!

JohnD
September 30th, 2015, 15:35
Congratulations on the acquisition.

maugrim8866
September 30th, 2015, 15:43
Very exciting stuff!
Congratulations to both SmiteWorks and TableTopConnect.
Cannot wait!

Nylanfs
September 30th, 2015, 15:58
I'm going to be interested to see if there will be any disgruntlement from the KS backers of Tabletop Connect.

Mask_of_winter
September 30th, 2015, 16:07
I'm going to be interested to see if there will be any disgruntlement from the KS backers of Tabletop Connect.
Of course, even though they end up with a lot more bang for their buck than they initially signed up for.

Mellock
September 30th, 2015, 16:11
There's a few comments on their kickstarter page. I get the idea that they're cautiously optimistic. I think that people with an interest in one product probably have an interest in the other too, even if their preferences lean a bit more to one or the other. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the tabletop connect people here. Can't wait for the unity port to be done already :p

viresanimi
September 30th, 2015, 16:31
So what happens, if I backed Tabletop Connect AND already own FG? I figure that Smiteworks will compensate backers with the next version of FG or even the current version. If the unity version will cost money (which it in all honestly probably should), would I then perhaps have already bought the next FG version? Just curious here.

I sincerely hope that this will be a good move for all parties involved and that we can get the next hotness sooner rather than later.

Vires Animi

mghauber
September 30th, 2015, 16:44
As a backer of TTC and a user of FG, I for one am excited. Opinion of one, but with all of the complaints about FG graphics being sub par, this will certainly raise the bar on what to expect from a VTT. If all goes well, I imagine you will have top notch graphics.....all the bells and whistles of 3d and lighting stuff, if that's what you want coupled with the integrated rules...... Can't really see what you would have left to complain about..... Except money....everyone always complains about money.....yawn....

Valarian
September 30th, 2015, 16:44
That is fantastic news. Carl has been doing some great stuff with 3D mapping in the tool. With this and the Fantasy Grounds character sheet, story and dice functionality, the two combined will be unbeatable. Seriously, I thought that Tabletop Connect (once complete) would be the only really serious competitor for Fantasy Grounds. Now Fantasy Grounds will only be the stronger through Carl's input.

viresanimi
September 30th, 2015, 16:54
And now I am complaining, when I express an interest or am curious about something. Get off your high horse will you?
For the record, as I stated, I do hope the best for FG. I just don't sound like a 13 year old fanboi, when I express myself.

Valarian
September 30th, 2015, 17:29
Who? Me? I'm enthusiastic about two products that I care about and think will do very well together. I don't really care if you find my enthusiasm offensive, or if you don't like how I express myself. Your problem, not mine.

sturtus
September 30th, 2015, 17:31
Amazing news. My friends and I have dreamt of a 3D fantasy grounds for years.

Now, how can I get on the 3D adventure module making train?!

sturtus
September 30th, 2015, 17:32
Also?

UNITY SUPPORT OCULUS RIFT! HTC VIVE!

Let's get our VR on!

Tel Arin
September 30th, 2015, 17:33
Fantastic news!

BABOONSKI
September 30th, 2015, 17:42
Amazing news, congratulations are defintely in order!

Raz651
September 30th, 2015, 17:59
So does this mean Fantasy Grounds 3 will be out before the release of the 5e DMG? :p

Great news for all. I can't wait. I love the FG rulesets and what I saw of Tabletop Connects 3d mapping and pewter figures. It is going to make for a awesome combo. :)

Zacchaeus
September 30th, 2015, 18:25
Jolly good, welcome to the new chap and all hail Fantasy Grounds.

Wazoodust
September 30th, 2015, 19:21
This sounds great, not only the intellectual property, but another developer as well! This is promising news for all of us

primarch
September 30th, 2015, 19:46
Hi!

As a backer for TC and a long time user of fantasy grounds this news means only good things for my gaming group in the future.

With this union all other VTT's are now of no consequence to me.

Kudos to the new and improved Fantasy Grounds! :)

Primarch

LuckyDragon
September 30th, 2015, 20:24
Extremely exciting news!

IrishMarshal
September 30th, 2015, 21:13
Interesting, should add to the visual displays.

Gotta ask for a couple friends of mine who backed the Kickstarter. Are they going to get their License (or whatever Tabletop Connect calls it) transferred to FG?

Same thing happened when I backed Tabletop Forge's Kickstarter and it was absorbed by Roll20.

ddavison
September 30th, 2015, 21:22
Hello IrishMarshal,

Backers of Tabletop Connect will get the option to transfer those over to an equivalent license of Fantasy Grounds. We still hope to release the same art assets, so they can hold for those to be delivered in Fantasy Grounds or they can request a partial or full refund which will be covered by SmiteWorks. If you backed Tabletop Connect and you transfer those licenses, then you will get access to FG now and also be invited to participate in the beta version of Fantasy Grounds on Unity. For those people who didn't back TC but want to participate in the beta version of Fantasy Grounds, there will be a Kickstarter launched for this later, but still before we open up beta access.

It may take us a little bit of time to work out all the details and get everything coordinated, but want to take good care of anyone who backed the original Kickstarter.

Nylanfs
September 30th, 2015, 21:31
Announcement on the Steam Store page too maybe?

IrishMarshal
September 30th, 2015, 21:33
Thanks ddavison that will make them feel a lot better, I know one of the dumped quite a lot into the venture.

jshauber
September 30th, 2015, 21:38
Not sure what everyone is getting so worked up about...Great 3D graphics with all the built in functionality FG already offers with the various licensed products. We expected that anyway, now show us what you can REALLY do....

<restraint mode OFF>

WOOHOO!!!!! This is great news for all FG users and TTC backers!!! Even if some TTC backers weren't already FG users I hope they give it a look and quickly realize what this is going to mean for VTTs going forward.

Bar has been raised and the others will need to take a serious look at what they are offering if they want to keep up.

Espatier
September 30th, 2015, 22:03
Hello IrishMarshal,

Backers of Tabletop Connect will get the option to transfer those over to an equivalent license of Fantasy Grounds. We still hope to release the same art assets, so they can hold for those to be delivered in Fantasy Grounds or they can request a partial or full refund which will be covered by SmiteWorks. If you backed Tabletop Connect and you transfer those licenses, then you will get access to FG now and also be invited to participate in the beta version of Fantasy Grounds on Unity. For those people who didn't back TC but want to participate in the beta version of Fantasy Grounds, there will be a Kickstarter launched for this later, but still before we open up beta access.

It may take us a little bit of time to work out all the details and get everything coordinated, but want to take good care of anyone who backed the original Kickstarter.

I'm glad to hear that FG will not leave behind the TableTop Connect backers, I look forward to re-evaluating your product as a TTC backer.

ddavison
September 30th, 2015, 22:19
Announcement on the Steam Store page too maybe?

Good idea. Posted.

Koreapsu
September 30th, 2015, 22:21
Great news.

Well done FG devs.

Griogre
September 30th, 2015, 23:05
Good news, and great to hear you got Carl as a new developer. :)

Paranormal GM
September 30th, 2015, 23:36
Hello IrishMarshal,

What about those of us that hold an Ultimate license in both venues?

ddavison
September 30th, 2015, 23:40
We are still working out the details on everything and will likely send out another BackerKit survey to backers of TabletopConnect. Options could be a credit for additional purchases for FG, holding credit for first access to pledged resources for TTC once they are delivered for FG, a refund or maybe something else we haven't thought up yet. If you have some ideas for what would work best for you, please feel free to share it either publicly or privately. We want it to be as fair as possible so you can be excited about the future this change brings and not worried about an investment that you may have sunk into something.

ransolot
October 1st, 2015, 00:42
I didn't even think about that..... Will this be Fantasy Grounds 3?

Mask_of_winter
October 1st, 2015, 00:57
I didn't even think about that..... Will this be Fantasy Grounds 3?
You are already using Fantasy Grounds 3. Version 3.1.2 actually. Fantasy Grounds 2 hasn't been mentioned or used anywhere in about 2 years.

Badgered
October 1st, 2015, 01:37
Great news! Here's to the future development of FG. :)

Cheezegr8r
October 1st, 2015, 01:38
so i just checked out the tabletop connect site... and holy crap!!!!! THAT is what i've always wanted to do on my computer for Roleplaying!

amazing aquisition!

but... does this mean waiting another 2 years for a unity client?

even more important... does this mean more waiting to get the 5th edition DMG? <whimper>

leozelig
October 1st, 2015, 01:55
Oh man, I'm pretty happy you guys will be working together instead of competing with each other!

Paranormal GM
October 1st, 2015, 02:55
For those not familiar with TTC... This is how I'll run until the final product.

https://youtu.be/LYRvAxTxkL0?list=PLAN4zsNUHh4vDX3qsZn2-LHJzZW7FOXQR

Paranormal GM
October 1st, 2015, 03:00
TTC Map images

https://photos.google.com/u/0/photo/AF1QipMrVvWGDhaiRJ899TmIhQf9WhS7Ywq6ahAVoZhF

Mask_of_winter
October 1st, 2015, 03:30
Will the 3d environment replace the desktop background or be in another window like maps/images are now? Will there still be a 2d option?

Paranormal GM
October 1st, 2015, 03:34
From what I've read 2d and 2.5d will be there... how they will do the 3d I have no clue.

I've been in both environments and just mashed them together to get the best of both worlds.

stevenyuko
October 1st, 2015, 03:38
amazing News for all! I look forward to seeing any improvements that will come along with the acquisition of Tabletop Connect!

cychow
October 1st, 2015, 06:55
Congrats! Great news indeed!

Chung

hereander
October 1st, 2015, 10:33
Now add a voice and video streaming solution (video windows hovering around the virtual table in 3D?) and oculus rift and I will never leave the house again for gaming.
Probably an extension for ordering pizza online would be nice too :)

Jwguy
October 1st, 2015, 12:52
Sounds like a cool thing. Congratulations.

jshauber
October 1st, 2015, 13:48
Probably an extension for ordering pizza online would be nice too :)

That is the BEST idea on the history of mankind!!!!

OneSidedDie
October 1st, 2015, 16:30
I would like to welcome Carl and the community he brings with him! I hope you enjoy your new home here on the FG forums and look forward to your contributions to our community (and ours to yours). I have found more friends in our mutual love for this hobby than in any other source and can't wait to meet you all in turn.

Again, welcome!

kane280484
October 1st, 2015, 18:09
TTC Map images

https://photos.google.com/u/0/photo/AF1QipMrVvWGDhaiRJ899TmIhQf9WhS7Ywq6ahAVoZhFThat's 404 for me, how about anyone else?

GraytDane
October 1st, 2015, 21:44
Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean I will need to purchase a "new" Fantasy Grounds? (Currently an Unlimited License holder.)

Nylanfs
October 1st, 2015, 22:24
No, there will be additional info later if you were also a Tabletop Connect backer.

JohnD
October 1st, 2015, 22:27
That's 404 for me, how about anyone else?

Yes the same.

jh79
October 1st, 2015, 22:57
Well done and welcome Carl :) can't wait to play the new FG unity 3D build!

Knowing how long it takes to put this kind of stuff together I am of course very patient, and would rather wait for it to be done right then rushed. I also look forward to future versions after FG 4. I suspect the FG team will not stop with the great product Carl is bringing to FG, creativity does not stand still. I'm sure future iterations will perhaps have an Interface for sounds and music, video cut scenes, etc. By then there will be no competition. Can't wait to see what the future holds for FG.

Paranormal GM
October 1st, 2015, 22:58
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/KgVFG-0zjGAUkBWVV_I0TZf5ooh6JkcucEizqirTOBiwA1_RTqyjixA8 TyB-6L3Me_BsuBJf2f84LUVI7xTXq8FTX2Dqyrtfbh7HBcqd1aBbpp AMkcBxfc-JM00_RuJXdXIcyJgHm30U3uPu4jLT5nmQB8127V6Fz03LfySJj GeUgX1Eu0hsuIRwJ1kVLFFLWWQQG02k-Hp4OWW3tPFeli2psIK9M5tas4zAyG5nNx04caVs6LXisjAkKES rqiMnmRGuChT-NWcjO-DEtS_Dypk960DVjIRpuP9SKXquNPGtasUgE9NPFXAr_ZIyg0Ck o87pH-MUj34HckCoR7cEMczNDcU0GJOQdUo3qFGgn1rgbtLa2-zIzb0R0QEdREWhXB24yoDvIU7R4gwdRD9zypKgi0rqY5yzPgUJ CcQr3XxHXZVzWFA4hUZYMHQAL19B7eBm14KBGBw4OAeZQtPUGY lk2iDe4_d6bLPIH8zopjz8M6oYwY8ipwJ4Dna5qcuSHOWpyhfS IL3n2I67iSMlBIx4jTcczO4zCrJA_vauWP0=w995-h646-no

Paranormal GM
October 1st, 2015, 23:00
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/CSCIO6jnY15BSett1C_Xt0XfihTdjLdTf6UDWHyKBfBNyO7cXK VGpUsIn2uxRUuUTiFh7zmZUB1P7owQaZH7pO7K97HEjNP35-gctCTtwWlUSyY2gN2pRyAovfLPzpV1YgpJDtyaUk6RxmbspMQi j-A-15Vu6ZnLjFr7FUa6rLV5VgWr6eXsncsxR4jWy_YyuSZah0e1kL E1Scvah3q9gbK3HWC4dBrAbssraNNJ1OLVVD1xGV4eZcecClbt nc80zP_bjOL1rinxQ_2Z25YYXFNaj-MOsMmz3EUX58-aJVrdzSmytjsDWs5fxGdR6JckNhv0pnb5IVj-6f2692X5xOlwrVCZlw5arlR2449prslDGYeKoW4MnD6iisI_ay UuzoqUA-NdoQQlON8t4TbHW01B2o2gJhzeVZ_nKLsnNi5ENYvKaW4QIfzM pLe3zEoxyCq6Ce3jgVV-uJihxeG4VQebXgozxG9S-g-Ylk4pdnJhJ_9fPKkqki6utqnkizT-vCAIIdSqU7ozwCdrzvUIG8IGAAxe600bJnNv8Nk-F08=w962-h651-no

Paranormal GM
October 1st, 2015, 23:02
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/S_Mw9KGhLj_3iMAulMW_7Jj_drVEDaIZmZdsEGWK66QAwZyyao Ptys3r64jhZKzp0NoKXW2xFtBHgDuYqasbQZGHBRDcWNuiMa_n 2OdAiE3X9iiY_b5JDi6Rv8YXmg7-v9Lp2RfWbKbLdg-ud34McQvteHefQyMhMnMRzuxCGhytuyn1eZ5uM5wM3gKxX9UhV n6-W5kAux60X7GLmcRN3UrttDiPdE9ao0cQ-ltwkWtQn1Z5cFu322BPpMItJnjY7pZx9a_IiGProtQvGwf2iZs GuWAvPdMeoIyAtBKBxjFg6WGYDq6K7fcTh7GschK0R9BMMSgkl vfXV8-33VOkDXpLu1EwzCrY9baQyk8d9DpuTv5ndxRAG6aeLUETI1lRE r0-iG6N4iZQ9CO33Z0eoptSAftXDDAa5d3h0D3UEZULoUwkLjNfUD dtnPFt2VTICXPuzbvfwNYb9TntFXNMyK8skVxShsKRXbF9Cypp DWzQVIT9FamAFlv2Gj9BIhx5KzF3plv0Z8zh02soYWgf8PRGAn 06PUBdC7L0UIRmxp0=w1024-h728-no

Raz651
October 2nd, 2015, 00:24
Nice pics. Hope it looks as good or better when merged with the Fantasy Ground Rulesets. :)

Nickademus
October 2nd, 2015, 01:23
So, is Smite Works considering selling pre-made location maps in the SW Store for this? I watched the video for making that tavern. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2015, 01:55
We are just ramping up, so we are not ready to talk about product plans yet.

Once we get the Kickstarter folks squared away and get some time to evaluate our technologies in both directions, we'll be able to provide more direction on where we're going with our products.

As Doug mentioned previously, our goal is to get the Unity rewrite done, and Carl will be helping us get there. Carl will also give us to opportunity to set the framework up for bigger and better things from there.

Cheers,
JPG

Kotawolf
October 2nd, 2015, 15:15
Good news, I hope :)

I have concerns on this. I've got the Full GM license for FG already, and the wife has the standard GM license.
We both backed TC. I know you are working through on how this will be worked out. Please keep those of use who will be affected by this in the loop.

Ferrin
October 3rd, 2015, 08:06
This all looks pretty sweet, the video on map creation kinda reminds me of making a house in the Sims.... Once you guys get the details nailed down and your plan moving forward you should do a blog post or something to roadmap it for us. I think I saw above somewhere your going to start a kickstarter for the new FG? Any ideas on what the donor levels might be at this stage?

viresanimi
October 3rd, 2015, 09:45
The "roadmap" has been announced several times: "the Unity version will take another year to make - at least". And the kickstarter will, at the earliest, take place next summer, so don't expect any concrete details until that point. This was reaffirmed by the owner of Smiteworks in the recent interview on Twitch.

Patience my young padawan.

Vires Animi

Thete
October 3rd, 2015, 12:32
Fantastic news, I heard an interview with the Tabletop Connect developer on GMS podcast (i think that was the podcast), came across as a real solid guy with a great approach. His description for modern FPS affirmed that he doesn't settle for mediocrity.

licktoren
October 3rd, 2015, 17:12
This is great, i was thinking of backing TC but since i already had FG i didn't want to have both just to let one sit unused. hopefully there can be a good mashup of the two programs without too much pain on the GM's side for learning how to deal with the 3D mapping.

dr_venture
October 4th, 2015, 19:32
Well, here I am late to the table, but I just want to add my sincerest congratulations to the SmiteWorks guys. It takes a lot of work to make a small software company viable, and to succeed in the RPG business in general -- you deserve all the success you achieve! Unfortunately, I'm far out of the gaming scene right now, but I love knowing that great things are brewing for when I get back some day. Thanks for all your hard work!

kalmarjan
October 5th, 2015, 15:17
Excellent news! I've been lurking for a while, but let me tell you, FG has grown leaps and bounds from when I first developed with it. Awesome things are ahead!

Szabtom
October 7th, 2015, 09:48
Well done! I am intrigued by the potential that can be tapped with the new technology. But perhaps even more importantly for me, I can see that Smiteworks grows as a business and increases its resources. That gives me good faith in the future.
Looking a step (many steps?) ahead, I am sure an integration with a sound/music effects technology, or supported compatibility with such solutions, would really excite many current and to-be owners of FG.

Nylanfs
October 9th, 2015, 15:19
Welcome to the forums and community Archania :)

Full Bleed
October 17th, 2015, 06:06
Bold move FG!

I'm a long time, hard core, user/supporter of MapTool... but if FG can incorporate much of what Tabletop Connect was doing it's going to be impressive. Its light, sight, 2d/3d token system, custom character sheet builder, and map/asset builder were exciting.

Couple questions:

1) What Tabletop Connect features are likely to migrate into FG first? Any timelines?
2) Will FG continue to support the local server model once it moves to Unity?
3) Are there any developer diaries anywhere?

Definitely keeping a close eye on how things proceed.

Phoxounet
October 17th, 2015, 13:49
Hi there !
I was a TTC backer and am not a FG user for now. As Carl already know, I loved the powerfull TTC interface and was able to create content for rpg I and my friends are playing at. The main reason I wasn't happy with FG is the necessity to edit XML files for non classic D20 rpg (if you want to do things properly, and the missing default D100 dice in the interface as well). I was really amazed about what Carl did with TTC, especially the sheet creating and editing interface (easy, simple, automated macros like Gen and Roll macros).. This was the feature I enjoyed the most and the reason I chose TTC instead of FG. Now, Carl reassured us (TTC backers) : all that we loved so much about TTC will be integrated in FGU. I just hope so ! In this case, FGU will be my product of choice. FG is a powerfull VTT but it currently lacks some features in my opinion. These features were the ones TTC gave us. I'm looking forward to seeing the result.

Regards.

JohnD
October 17th, 2015, 15:14
Pretty sure there are d% or d100 in FG - wouldn't be able to play Rolemaster without them for one thing.

Mask_of_winter
October 17th, 2015, 15:38
Pretty sure there are d% or d100 in FG - wouldn't be able to play Rolemaster without them for one thing.
I think he means it uses 2d10s instead. One is 00-90 and then other is 0-9.

Phoxounet
October 17th, 2015, 15:48

Yes they are there... but not activated by default. You need to get your hands dirty to use them (XML files editing I think). I wish they could be there without this kind of manipulation. :(

Edit : well. I may apologize : i should have not correctly understood what I read several months ago. You can right clik on the D10 button and select the percentage die. Anyway, It could be so simplier to have a percentage die instead of right-clicking the D10 die and select percentage. For a full D100 based game (like Rolemaster), i find it user unfriendly to have to do 2 manipulations each time you have to roll a die. I know there is a D100 model as you can see in some FG interface screenshots. But didn't found how to have them in the interface. :(

Edit : Double apologies : thx for the shortcut tips, Trenloe. ;)

Trenloe
October 17th, 2015, 15:56
Yes they are there... but not activated by default. You need to get your hands dirty to use them (XML files editing I think). I wish they could be there without this kind of manipulation. :(
They don't automatically appear on the desktop in most rulesets. But % dice are available if you right click on the d10 (top left is the % option in the radial menu). You can then drag that to a hotkey slot under the dice which allows you to roll d%% with a single click. No dirty hands involved. :)

You can also type /die 1d100 in the chat window and drag that to a hotkey slot to roll percentage dice. You can setup quite complete dice rolls this way.

Raz651
October 17th, 2015, 16:01
you can put the percentage die roll on your UI bar for one click action. (Just right click on d10 and left click on %. Instead of throwing dice into the chat window. Put them on your bar instead. Then you can click on it at your hearts content. :)

Edit: @Trenloe You beat me to it. :p

ddavison
October 17th, 2015, 21:03
Please continue to share your thoughts on what you'd like to see in the final interface, though. That helps us shape what the final product will look like.

I think you will be happy to know that Moon_wizard and I both like the simplicity of some of Carl's choices, both for making new character sheets and for map creation. Some of his earlier stuff may actually even fit better when you start talking about building out maps quickly in a 2D interface. Currently, we have a basic system called CoreRPG that can be used to build out any interface. It serves this purpose, as well as forming a solid core system that can be used to build out more advanced systems, such as D&D 5E, Pathfinder, Call of Cthulhu, Savage Worlds, etc. For the latter purpose, I imagine CoreRPG will remain as an option for use by ruleset builders that want a very custom and specific interface. The ease of creation that is present in TabletopConnect, however, would be a great feature to make available for unsupported rulesets. Simply scanning in a character sheet and then overlaying data fields over top is very intuitive and powerful and something we hope to build out somehow within the Unity version of FG. Whether this becomes a standard feature for CoreRPG or we spin off a new version of CoreRPG to better support multiple game systems has not yet been determined. You'll be also happy to know that we have already started building out a much more robust dice mechanic language that should further make it easy to build new rulesets.

By the way, Carl's first official day with the company was yesterday. We had a great, first company meeting with him and I think it bodes well for the future of FG. If you liked what Carl did in the past and/or you like what we've done so far, I think you will be very happy with the results of our combined efforts.

@Fullbleed, those are all great questions and we don't yet have answers for all of those. The first step is getting FG pushed over to Unity the rest of the way. Part of that process will likely look for easy features to bring over from TTC as an initial launch. Once we get closer to that, we will have a better idea of the delivery timelines for the other enhancements and which ones will come before the others. Some of the TTC backers from the KS were able to participate in some developer discussions as part of their backer levels. For that reason, we will likely start doing something like that in the future so that they can continue to participate. In addition, once we launch our KS, we will put some more of those things in too. We will look for some of that content to eventually make it out to a public discussion forum as well, but probably after it's been shared and discussed with the higher-level backers and our third-party devs.

Phoxounet
October 17th, 2015, 22:41
Thank you for your message, Ddavison. :) I gained some sheet creation experience, trying to adapt an uncommun ruleset for TTC. Several months ago, I tried to do this in CoreRPG but i had to get my hands dirty and to edit xml files but i was not capable enough at it. I tried again today, just with the interface and the CoreRPG ruleset but it is far from the result I want (Carl already saw what kind of sheets I want to be able to create...). I have some ideas and I already suggested them to him. I would be happy to see FGU development and improvements and to help during the beta tests.

So far, I am just wandering about the transition beetwen TTC and FG, from a monetary point of view. Since I could still make a slight adaptation of our rpg ruleset in FG2, we could use it before the FGU release. So far, I am afraid that what we paid for TTC (GM+3 players licenses) could not be enough, regarding FG2 pricing. I guess that you will deliver us the best possible transition solution and I'm confident about this.

Moreover, the FG community seems to be a really nice one. I think it could be a good thing to be part of it. ;)

Regards.

ddavison
October 17th, 2015, 22:47
Indeed. Our community will be better off for having you and the many other TTC folks come over.

We hope to have the transition stuff worked out in the next two weeks.

Tailz Silver Paws
October 18th, 2015, 02:21
Looks like I'll have to start making 3D map tiles and tokens soon. Nice to see Smiteworks moving in this direction.

I wonder if you could do "snap together" map sections in a kind of map builder for players? That folks like me make the map sections / map tiles for? :)

Phoxounet
October 18th, 2015, 09:19
Please continue to share your thoughts on what you'd like to see in the final interface, though. That helps us shape what the final product will look like.

Well... I can have a billion ideas a day... so your risk :p

Anyway, since TTC was acquired by SW, I have made soome tests in the current software version. I have several suggestions, regarding the interface and the editing mode. What is following assumes that most of TTC features for sheet edition will be integrated.

Arrays !!!! So far i can say, all rpg come with arrays (weapons, armors, etc.). In the current version of FG, there are tables. Roll tables... For new rulesets, what can really be long is to create items, spells, etc. Arrays could be a wonderfull feature for that.
Item Collections : a weapon collection could be an Item Collection, armors could be another one, for example. Defining a collection could come with creating a template (arrays !!!) so that each time you create an item for that collection, each piece of information is easy to edit and to read.
Spells/Powers/Skills libraries powerfull edition mode : like Item Collections. For example, having a formating or naming convention (like [Fireball.spell]) could be a link to open the designed librairy (spells) and search for the Fireball spells. In this way, you can easily create the whole librairies of your favorite RPG and then easily link the content when clicking on a spell in your sheet.
Gen/Roll macros (love them so much in TTC !!! :D). And options for roll macros (explode, keep the lower, etc.) so that each roll macro can be precisely definited.
Drag'n'Drop rolls results to eventually modify another roll macros.
Tag mechanic for fields. Like the ability to identify what's the attack or the initiative roll. Let me explain. The initiative roll should be the easiest way for that. Imagine Initiative rolls are designed and identified in PC sheets. Having a tag mechanic on Initiative roll could automatically fill the Combat tracker. In fact, exactly as it is currently working in some rulesets. :p But having an editing option for that in the GUI (for ruleset and sheets edition) could be powerfull, yet easy to use. Well... excatly like in TTC. :p
The possibility to translate menus and tabs... a good part of the french community really loves FG as it is. What is coming in FGU will help this community to grow. So far, all these items can be edited (XML). It could be a good thing to be able to manually change every single tab and menu in the interface, so that non english/us speaking players could easily adapt FGU interface for their mother language : more players, more people in the community, even for non xml editing capable people. (I am french and i do have a fellow player that can't speak/read english :( ).

I am pretty sure that most of these features can actually be done in the current version but should be user friendly in the Unity version (well, I really don't like XML edition :p).

Moreover, I am pretty sure that FG could be easily be adapted for some board games : Talisman, Runebound, and more... Just an idea. For these games, no GM but adventure cards. If cards can be linked to tokens, stuff and npc, then it could be really easy to adapt these board games.

Regards.

ddavison
October 18th, 2015, 14:44
Well... I can have a billion ideas a day... so your risk :p

Thanks Phoxounet, there are some great ideas there.

Ken L
October 27th, 2015, 01:39
I wonder if they'll have better drawing tools. I think the biggest hole is simple map drawing either by image tile or map with drawing tools. System specifics FG has in spades.

Lavahawk
November 13th, 2015, 00:45
Not really happy about this. I backed the GM edition of 3d table top connect, and a flat FG is what I'm going to be stuck with? All I see is countless add-ons for sale. I don't want to have to pony up even more money to get something that I was already supposed to have. I would rather have gotten a refund. thanks a bunch.

ddavison
November 13th, 2015, 01:02
Hello Lavahawk,

If you follow the announcement on the TabletopConnect page, you will see that refunds are available for anyone who would like them. We are excited for the future of the merger between Fantasy Grounds' best features and TabletopConnect's best features. What you see as a negative (lots of add-ons available) is something we consider to be a very strong, positive component of FG. The ability for us to actively and officially support RPG publishers means that you can get officially supported content from the publisher preloaded and ready to run. The ready-to-run adventures and content for FG receive great reviews and it becomes much easier to run content online or even at the table when you have a whole suite of tools and features built around providing that content in the best way possible for digital play.

We are also excited about the future of 3D as an optional way to play. Most RPG companies still produce all their maps and art in 2D, but we see a good opportunity to allow DM's shift from 2D to 3D or back and forth as needed to better run their campaigns.

Niles
November 13th, 2015, 06:39
I think it would be cool to see our characters in 3d like avatars are created in MMO's. To be able to spin them 360 degrees to see them at all angles. Also, an inventory tree to see what your character is equipped with. Maybe after you equip your character with items that you drag and drop, the record sheets will adjust accordingly. Just a few ideas since you're venturing in to 3d. Keep up the good work! You guys are becoming the premier virtual tabletop.

jshauber
November 13th, 2015, 14:44
I think it would be cool to see our characters in 3d like avatars are created in MMO's. To be able to spin them 360 degrees to see them at all angles. Also, an inventory tree to see what your character is equipped with. Maybe after you equip your character with items that you drag and drop, the record sheets will adjust accordingly. Just a few ideas since you're venturing in to 3d. Keep up the good work! You guys are becoming the premier virtual tabletop.

Hi Niles,

TTC had the functionality you mention above. The PCs were 3d minis that you could rotate to view from any angle. There was limited capabilities for equipping them. If you had a wizard, for example, you couple have him holding a staff, orb, wand, etc and also change cloak colors. Fighter types could have shield, sword, axe, etc. I am sure this will be something that will be further explored as the new version of FG/TTC comes on online and goes into use.

For Lavahawk, You will still get a 3d gaming environment, you will just have a whole load of DLC that is officially licensed. If you still want to input everything yourself you can, but the DLC makes life much easier as a GM to just get a game up and running. I am/was an Exec Producer level backer of TTC and also a huge FG user while I have been waiting for Carl to get TTC going. One of the things I used to bug Carl about was getting licensing for content so GMs didn't have to enter it all themselves, also the reason I use FG instead of all the other VTTs that are available.

I see the merger as a great thing for both programs. Don't give up on it yet. Maybe jump in a couple of FG games to see how the interface and content work so much better than anything else out there. You might want to go ahead and stick with FG for now and see what happens now that Carl if part of the team and the two programs are brought together.

Niles
November 13th, 2015, 17:39
Thanks, jshauber! I will always prefer old school roll the dice D&D over any MMO but I got to admit, being able to see your avatar in 3D is just too cool and hope FG will include that.

Patou
November 23rd, 2015, 16:57
Greatly am impressed by Tabletop Connect and the videos that Gherrion Lonestrider posted. I am exactly approaching the Carnath Roadhouse in my campaign with my players. Very nice!. My question is as a Licence member of Fantasy Grounds what must I do to be able to use Tabletop Connect or how long is the wait for these new goodies..... ?

Another thing that would be cool is adding the same effects such as lighting from torches and visions to a 2D configuration..... wow that would be cool! Yes... I know I sound like a kid but man i love my passion. Making my players go ''ouuuuu ---ahhh wow'' is something all DM's love

Thanks
Patou

Tivaan01
December 3rd, 2015, 19:49
I can tell you as have been using and mapping with Tabletop, it will provide lighting effects and so many other things that I love about 3d map making. I cant wait till its fully integrated and loaded with tons of new options. I forecast: There will have to be a forum just for map sharing alone.

Nylanfs
December 4th, 2015, 02:19
I can tell you as have been using and mapping with Tabletop, it will provide lighting effects and so many other things that I love about 3d map making. I cant wait till its fully integrated and loaded with tons of new options. I forecast: There will have to be a forum just for map sharing alone.

Like this one? :)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?90-Maps

ddavison
December 4th, 2015, 05:10
I spent some time playing with the 3D map building functionality in TTC yesterday and I agree. Carl and I discussed some details of the implementation to cater to both DM's who want to do something very quickly and to those other master builders who want to build very advanced things with it.

Nickademus
December 4th, 2015, 23:45
I'll just be happy if SW/people have pre-made map of quality available in the FG Store. From the looks, those things take time and I'm not opposed to buying a good map for what I need.

Tivaan01
December 19th, 2015, 15:08
Here are a few images of a map I created a few months back with Tabletop
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftteplit1x0i5gq/pic%201.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyulgxfnypdzhw2/pic%202.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/62338zixqoy72c0/pic%203.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/82qclbqbhxq805f/pic%204.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v14bvtlki4wgzvm/pic%205.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzr513rxdmvq75h/pic%206.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hg9zlw8w6edvprj/pic%207.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsnwsf1ldwjwncx/pic%208.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uixcfcls24b22pi/pic%209.jpg?dl=0

damned
December 19th, 2015, 22:58
Hey Tivaan01 they look good - thanks for sharing!

PopinFRESH
December 30th, 2015, 17:01
I want to share some news about the growth of SmiteWorks. We have acquired all the intellectual property from Tabletop Connect...

This is fantastic! Keep it up, I am extremely excited for the next generation of Fantasy Grounds! Is there any word on when you are planning on starting to beta the Unity rebuild yet?

Thanks for all your work, to the whole Smiteworks team!
-PopinFRESH

EDIT: I really hope his expertise allows for "3D" top-down 2D w/ parallax maps & creation tools. I'd love to have & create maps that have a traditional top-down perspective that has depth and feels like you are moving miniatures around a well crafted table top set.

Somewhat like this image: i41.tinypic.com/mi13sx.png

neonbasschild
January 2nd, 2016, 13:04
I am amazingly happy about this. When my group moved to playing online because of members moving we looked at both tabletop connect and fantasy grounds. I have always loved fantasy grounds but my biggest complaint with FG is the fact that you cannot make a character sheet that didn't look like crap without tons of work. We wanted to use tabletop connect but it was just not ready for prime time yet. So we ended up falling back to fantasy ground but have yet to use it because of problems with making a ruleset. The update couldn't come any quicker for me and my group and if you want any testers my and my rpg group happly volunteer.

Tycandus
January 30th, 2016, 01:24
Any idea on when this will be available?

damned
January 30th, 2016, 02:05
Any idea on when this will be available?

pure conjecture... Q4 this year.

Moon Wizard
January 30th, 2016, 02:29
It's one of those projects, where it will be ready when it's ready.

We're still in the prototyping stage on several of the subsystems within Unity, so we'll know more on schedule as we resolve and determine final implementations.

We're also working to keep the current product growing and getting better, so it doesn't stagnate while we're working on new code. Carl has been reworking a lot of the initial Unity port, so that the performance is what everyone expects for the UI.

Regards,
JPG

PopinFRESH
January 31st, 2016, 22:00
I believe the phrase you were looking for Moon Wizard was... FG Unity, Soon™ :D

I know it's often said around these parts, but you guys really do an amazing job for a small team and it's definitely appreciated. I'm really looking forward to all the improvements that the move to Unity will offer, as well as the potential new features that will become possible/reasonable.

Keep up the good work!
-PopinFRESH

Patou
February 3rd, 2016, 16:34
As a proud user of Fantasy Grounds and a bunch of 5E stuff from the store (HotDG, RoT, PHB, MM) how will the merger effect our existing stuff. Will they also update with everything else? Also will we be able to add awesome lighting effects to our 2D maps as you could with 3D (dynamic tokens 2D & 3D).

I am a bit old school when it comes to maps... the transition to virtual tokens is still a think with my players.
(note: I use Fantasy Grounds projected with a group in the same room)

ddavison
February 3rd, 2016, 16:45
The first stage is to continue to support all the existing 2D assets and then enhance those. Eventually we will start adding additional options for 3D assets. As Moon Wizard stated, we still have a lot of work to do and work is ongoing.

Patou
February 3rd, 2016, 16:49
The first stage is to continue to support all the existing 2D assets and then enhance those. Eventually we will start adding additional options for 3D assets. As Moon Wizard stated, we still have a lot of work to do and work is ongoing.

Awesome stuff! Love it all so far!

Thanks DDavison

Nekkroe
February 4th, 2016, 13:53

Can't wait!!

Hadje
February 7th, 2016, 12:39
Looking forward to this. I've been following Technical Illusions CastAR (https://castar.com/) augmented reality system for a couple of years now. It is pretty much designed for role-playing games and already has a Unity SDK plug-in, so I'm hoping this will bring the awesomeness that is FG to virtual (but social) 3d gaming. It will be expensive to buy a set of glasses for the table, but it's the fulfillment of years of 'wouldn't it be cool if...'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4TAppwUMWU

sturtus
February 8th, 2016, 20:22
Wish I could contribute somehow. Very exciting.

ScooterZ
April 15th, 2016, 23:49
Late to join on thread. Awesome news!
My wishlist would include the option to enter in person dice rolls (my hope is to have a large hd tv on its back as the table, connected to a computer for the DM and each player with a surface running FG Unity)
Also, any chance with the 3D avatars, we could (future) paint our minis :)
This could lead to some interesting options with war games like 40k :)

Trenloe
April 16th, 2016, 00:27
My wishlist would include the option to enter in person dice rolls (my hope is to have a large hd tv on its back as the table, connected to a computer for the DM and each player with a surface running FG Unity)
Check this thread, the proof-of-concept extension and the other thread linked: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28235-manual-entry-dice-dialog-box-possible&p=252683&viewfull=1#post252683

You really don't need to do much manual dice entry in FG, the majority can be manually ruled by the GM. Plus, manually entering every dice roll would slooooow the game down...

Mr Hale
April 22nd, 2016, 01:10
Any Ideas on when or if a license for either Pathfinder or 3.5 Edition D&D will be issued?
Can the reason they are holding onto these be shared, assuming they have given a reason?

ddavison
April 22nd, 2016, 01:23
We can't really discuss or share any specifics of negotiations that we may have had on these. The only thing I will add is that I would very much like to be able to support both of those systems.

Mr Hale
April 22nd, 2016, 01:42
I am going to make this suggestion here cause I did not see any better place.
In the FG store I would love to see a better search engine. One that allows you to search for adventures, core books, by edition, that sort of thing. It would just be a bit faster if you did not have to look through everything to just find tokens, or just core books, or just adventures.
The other thing I would like to see is a payment method other then Paypal. Never had much luck with them and this time is no better so far. Direct pay to Smiteworks would rock.

ddavison
April 22nd, 2016, 02:03
You can search like that in the store already. Click on the dropdown arrow to show the advanced search options.

Mr Hale
April 22nd, 2016, 21:22
When I have tried it I still end up with everything instead of just what I searched for.
I must be doing something wrong, that tends to be the most common thing when I have these issues.

Zacchaeus
April 22nd, 2016, 21:52
What is it you are searching for?

ddavison
April 22nd, 2016, 23:09
It should look something like this:

dracklor
April 23rd, 2016, 09:09
I think I know what he is talking about, when you are setting filters you need to click the bottom search button, not the top one. The top search button is only for searching string data such as a product name and will ignore filters set below in the drop down.

As an aside the Deadlands Noir figure flats show up when filters are set for both 5e and Adventure even though they seem to be a token pack for Savage Worlds.

Zacchaeus
April 23rd, 2016, 10:22
Haha. I didn't even see the button at the top :)

Nylanfs
April 23rd, 2016, 13:50
Tokens can really be used with any game system. Just like mini's at the table.

ddavison
April 23rd, 2016, 14:52
That is probably the cause.

Yes, the search button on the expanded form is the one you want to use -- or just hit Enter when your focus is in that section.

Nylanfs is correct, tokens and map products are marked as being compatible with all rulesets, so they show up at the bottom of the search results no matter what else is selected. We did this specifically because people thought that there were never any tokens or map packs available for their chosen ruleset.

dracklor
April 24th, 2016, 04:35
That is probably the cause.

Yes, the search button on the expanded form is the one you want to use -- or just hit Enter when your focus is in that section.

Nylanfs is correct, tokens and map products are marked as being compatible with all rulesets, so they show up at the bottom of the search results no matter what else is selected. We did this specifically because people thought that there were never any tokens or map packs available for their chosen ruleset.

That's cool, my friends and I are really enjoying the system by the way. Thank you all for all your hard work.

Hammerhand
April 26th, 2016, 19:54
Great News. Any estimate when this will be available?

ddavison
April 26th, 2016, 20:03
We still don't have an estimate yet. John and Carl have been working hard on it since Carl first joined in October. The focus has been on all the boring, back-end stuff -- but that stuff is the most important to get right. I think we are finally reaching the point where we'll start to see more visible changes going forward.

Nylanfs
April 27th, 2016, 01:11
Soon(tm)?

Patou
May 4th, 2016, 14:18
We still don't have an estimate yet. John and Carl have been working hard on it since Carl first joined in October. The focus has been on all the boring, back-end stuff -- but that stuff is the most important to get right. I think we are finally reaching the point where we'll start to see more visible changes going forward.

Exciting stuff Doug!:)

Paranormal GM
May 6th, 2016, 23:15
I am still building in the old Tabletop Connect Software to keep form getting rusty.

Here is a link to my Youtube page (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFKhXC94Dp1-KVEZRsqoajQ) with samples

Kalizaar
May 11th, 2016, 20:05
I am still building in the old Tabletop Connect Software to keep form getting rusty.

Here is a link to my Youtube page (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFKhXC94Dp1-KVEZRsqoajQ) with samples

Oh man that's cool. Can't wait til Fantasy Grounds can do that!

damned
May 12th, 2016, 05:39
Yeah nice job Gherrion!

lochost
May 16th, 2016, 18:06
Hi there !

Quick question here : will it be possible in FG unity, to have an embedded media player to share videos (and/or webcam) with player(s) ?

Goal of this : being able, in modern or futuristic style, to show a communication with a NPC, a security cam recording, etc.

LordEntrails
May 16th, 2016, 18:17
@lochost, SmiteWorks has stated that the initial Unity release is intending to have the same functionality as the production/current version does (or will at the time of Unity release). After that, Unity is a more capable platform and their are numerous capabilities that will be added, but nothing specific has been committed to. I believe this idea is already been requested on Idea Informer, and you can vote for it there; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

lochost
May 16th, 2016, 18:19
I'll take a look ! Thank you !

:-)

Gadreun
May 18th, 2016, 10:33
Wow awesome work! Things are just on the up and up :)

CryAxe
June 4th, 2016, 17:11
I hope FG Unity is coming soon and that the functionality improvement will be as big of an upgrade as we hope. Tabletop Simulator just announced that VR support is live.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/TabletopSimulator/announcements/detail/869572631011205420

sturtus
June 4th, 2016, 17:39
I just can't with Tabletop Simulator.

Patou
June 6th, 2016, 00:53
I think that everything that has been happening lately in the world of D&D (Wizards of the Coast) see Meltdown on there site and Doug being present is pretty awesome stuff. With the future of Fantasy Grounds coming I hope the feel of playing with the books will still be present. To have the 3d is cool but to feel like your your playing on a map straight out of the module as we are now ..is like laying the printed map out in front of the players. .which to me is pretty fraking cool! Add lighting effects and a dynamic fog of war and ouuuuu lala. Sweet potatoes indeed.

Cheers to things to come ��

lochost
October 30th, 2016, 21:48
Hi there !

It's been said somewhere (in this thread if I remember well) that a beta version of the FGUnity was to be released around Q4 of this year ? Any news about the work in progress ?

Zacchaeus
October 30th, 2016, 22:16
Hi there !

It's been said somewhere (in this thread if I remember well) that a beta version of the FGUnity was to be released around Q4 of this year ? Any news about the work in progress ?

No Unity release this quarter or even this year. No definite information on a release. More in this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22089-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-engine)

lochost
October 30th, 2016, 23:52
Thanks for the quick answer ! I've subscribed to the thread now.

I know how it can be boring for you guys, to receieve alle these "any news ?" kind of messages, sorry for bothering. But I really can't wait to put my hands on FGU; il like so much FG (and play with it once to twice a week), that I'm really impatient to "open the package" as a kind on christmas eve ;-)

Thanks for the job done !

celestian
January 19th, 2017, 01:31
I've been trying to find a virtual tabletop that would fit my needs more than what I use now. After checking out FG I found it didn't fit my needs but I ran across Tabletop Connect which did (and that it was swallowed by Smiteworks). The ease of which you could create a character sheet ontop of a image was amazing. The 3d maps/etc are a plus.

So I'm curious, how much of Tabletop Connect will be in this new version of FG and how much of Fantasy Grounds? The former being easier to use compared to the latter IMO.

Is there a release schedule of any sort for the upcoming version or at least a feature list that you expect to have when it is released? Will users that purchased (not subscribers) FG now need to purchase upgrades for the new version?

lostsanityreturned
January 19th, 2017, 01:42
No Unity release this quarter or even this year. No definite information on a release. More in this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22089-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-engine)

I just read this without reading when the post was made and became a bit worried ;) :P

Moon Wizard
January 19th, 2017, 01:43
We generally don't announce features until they are almost complete. In this way, we want people to be happy with the solution we have now vs. what we might build in the future. We are continuously adding new features on the current version, as well as working on a re-architected solution in the background (referred to as FGU or Fantasy Grounds Unity) that will allow improvements in some areas that are not possible with the current version. We have not committed to any new features in FGU, though we have some ones internally identified for potential inclusion. We are hoping to have a release later this year for FGU, but no firm timelines yet.

Regards,
JPG

damned
January 19th, 2017, 02:13
I've been trying to find a virtual tabletop that would fit my needs more than what I use now. After checking out FG I found it didn't fit my needs but I ran across Tabletop Connect which did (and that it was swallowed by Smiteworks). The ease of which you could create a character sheet ontop of a image was amazing. The 3d maps/etc are a plus.

So I'm curious, how much of Tabletop Connect will be in this new version of FG and how much of Fantasy Grounds? The former being easier to use compared to the latter IMO.

Is there a release schedule of any sort for the upcoming version or at least a feature list that you expect to have when it is released? Will users that purchased (not subscribers) FG now need to purchase upgrades for the new version?

Hi celestian - MoreCore ruleset will let you do some of the things that you could do in the TTC character sheet. You can create your own Actions/Attacks/Spells/Damage on the character sheet in the 6 rolls frames (they scroll to allow additional content and the bottom three will expand if your screen is big enough to extend the sheet lengthways). It doesnt have any of the 3d mapping of course and you cant import a pdf r graphic of our charsheet but this might do a chunk of what you are after.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsgd1zJLdiKW3HysWZRsX4cqFlcerBvW3
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset

celestian
January 19th, 2017, 05:52
Hi celestian - MoreCore ruleset will let you do some of the things that you could do in the TTC character sheet. You can create your own Actions/Attacks/Spells/Damage on the character sheet in the 6 rolls frames (they scroll to allow additional content and the bottom three will expand if your screen is big enough to extend the sheet lengthways). It doesnt have any of the 3d mapping of course and you cant import a pdf r graphic of our charsheet but this might do a chunk of what you are after.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsgd1zJLdiKW3HysWZRsX4cqFlcerBvW3
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset

Indeed I was hoping to be able to use a image of a character sheet (blank) and easily build a "template" for my players to use (with inputs/etc).

We generally don't announce features until they are almost complete. In this way, we want people to be happy with the solution we have now vs. what we might build in the future. We are continuously adding new features on the current version, as well as working on a re-architected solution in the background (referred to as FGU or Fantasy Grounds Unity) that will allow improvements in some areas that are not possible with the current version. We have not committed to any new features in FGU, though we have some ones internally identified for potential inclusion. We are hoping to have a release later this year for FGU, but no firm timelines yet.

Regards,
JPG

Thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye out for FGU and see what it brings. My biggest reason for not choosing FG right now is it's just to complicated to justify me switching from what I use now. I'm hoping the update will alleviate my concerns. The fella you guys got from Tabletop Connect really did some brilliant stuff that I hope you guys take advantage of.

lee100868
February 19th, 2017, 10:57
I am still getting used to FG but I have to say it is awesome, and now seeing what is being held for the future I love what you guys are doing.

Thank you for bringing all of us long distant role-players together.

Bidmaron
February 19th, 2017, 13:31
Hey, lee, welcome the forums and FG! Don't hesitate to ask when you run into stumbling blocks, as you likely will. As many have observed, the UI here is not something people are accustomed to. But the real issue is that automating the drudgery in GMing is hard, and it is naive to expect that ANY UI would make the methods employed for that somehow easy.

We have lots of resources besides the forum stickies to explain things. The wiki available through the top banner of this screen is one, and there are a number of videos that will help (I'm sure Dulux will be along momentarily to give you an excellent dump on those if you haven't already discovered them). So take a moment to explore those, but you will likely need to ask us things as you wrap your mind around this wonderful thing.

We are all excited about Unity, but, as ddavidson (owner) has repeatedly said, buy and use his software for what it does, not what will eventually arise, because SW's strategy is not to publish many definite coming features and no schedules. Unless I missed something, all we really know about FG Unity is that it will do exactly what the existing version of FG non-Unity will do at launch plus, perhaps, some additional as-yet-unannounced things. It is the potential of Unity that excites us. Personally, multi-threading is the thing that I think will help the most, followed closely by (I think?) a more user-friendly hosting mechanism.

lee100868
February 19th, 2017, 13:47
Thanks for the welcome Bidmaron and thanks for the offer of help if needed, not doing to bad at the moment but like you said there is a lot to get my head around, but I am a frim believer in use it and learn which is why I am running a campaign for a friend.

Thanks again and happy playing.

Nalfien
April 2nd, 2017, 17:55
How exciting! I love how FG has continued to grow since I first bought it. I am a guy who can't afford to jump into VR right now, but one day I hope that I will be able to sit at a virtual table with my friends and control a VTT in ways that combines the strength of technology with the in person feeling of being with my friends. Using something like 3D minis and some models that sit atop virtual maps would be great! I was a big fan of the first Neverwinter Nights and had made my own custom Underdark tile set. Tabletop Connect reminds me of that art, and sparks the passion I held back then of bringing the table top experience online.

Valacar
April 16th, 2017, 07:49
Checking in on the 3d part of Tabletop Connect / Fantasy grounds as its been 1.5 years since the acquisition. Glad to hear Carl is it pounding away at it as a backer of Tabletop connect, it was a fun and easy VTT to use and was eye candy while playing. Heck Carl even had wind effects for the trees outside the inn!!!

Keep at it Carl, I'll wait until you got it ready :)

g0ntzal
April 16th, 2017, 12:21
As a TableTop Connect backer and MacOS user I can't wait for a FG native app for OS X. Wineskin helps, of course, but my fan is working all time and it is too power demanding... It is a matter of keeping the faith but we can see how is passing every month... I hope we will have good news "soon"...

BTW, here you got a volunteer to test alpha/beta FG Unity macOS app...

Valacar
April 16th, 2017, 14:15
Besides the great looking 3D map, towns, etc a person could build with Tabletop Connect, the one thing I'm beginning to realize I miss is the dynamic lighting/fog of was Carl had integrated. Truly a head of the times 2 years ago that no VVT has embraced or installed so elegantly. Fog of war was the reason I came back to FG to see how it handles it now and besides blocking off the map our add fog you then have to take out, doesn't have it like Carl had it with tabletop.

ddavison
April 16th, 2017, 14:42
We will probably look to put together some new highlight videos before too long. Carl has finally gotten to the point to where he is past most of the boring stuff and is now working on some of the map and image features. There is still plenty of boring stuff to go, but the latest team meetings were full of new stuff for Fantasy Grounds.

Valacar
April 16th, 2017, 15:03
Awesome!!! Thanks for the reply. I'm debating FG right now as our group is fortunate enough to play face to face but I recently added a flat screen tv to the table for digital map as I was spending a bit of gold on maps. With FG I could use the maps from the official product and was looking at the aforementioned fog of war as the players could see the entire map as the tv would only be showing the dm view...or i could be showing the player view on the tv and dm view on the lap top and unmask as we went.

chillybilly
April 16th, 2017, 15:53
Just last week, my FG gaming group said that the pittance we paid for FG has been the best money we've ever spent for gaming. Keep up the great work, guys and gals!

Valacar
April 16th, 2017, 16:35
Just tried the ultimate monthly subscription to try it out...looks like I'l be using it for the maps /masking into the flat screen on the table. Thanks Doug and team, now wheres that wish spell to help Carl knock out the 3d in record time :)

Trenloe
April 16th, 2017, 17:20
... I'l be using it for the maps /masking into the flat screen on the table.
I use Fantasy Grounds on a flat screen all the time. Look at this extension to help you get your maps on the flat screen just the right size for minis: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33834-Map-resize-to-TV-resolution-for-Face-To-Face-games

Valacar
April 16th, 2017, 17:40
Thanks Trenloe, checking out the link now! Do you also by chance have any videos of it in use on youtube or anything else?

Trenloe
April 16th, 2017, 17:53
Thanks Trenloe, checking out the link now! Do you also by chance have any videos of it in use on youtube or anything else?
I don't have any videos - don't know if anyone else has. As most videos of FG are taken using the computer (i.e. not using a video camera) I think it would be rare to get a video of using this. There are some pictures I've taken in post #2 of the thread which should give you an idea of what it does - it's pretty simple really.

ColinBuckler
April 16th, 2017, 23:28
I use FG as a flat screen battle mat when playing face to face games.

The setup config is as follows:

(1) Laptop (to be portable) with an HDMI port.
(2) 27" flat monitor with HDMI port - it is important to have the screen with a wide viewing angle (178/178 degree). The wide viewing angle is for the screen to be layed down and visible from all angles - not all screens are capable of this!!! I also made sure the screen does not rock when on its back and that the hdmi ports do not stick out.

I run on the laptop two instances of FG:

The first FG instance displays the standard GM view on the laptop screen so that I can roll dice and un-mask maps.
The second instance I run on the HDMI connected screen and connect to the GM's session via local host. This runs the players view using the program Trenloe describes with plastic figures on this screen.

I was tempted to use the in game token images but that means each player has to move the tokens via a computer program (not all had electronic devices) and players like the tactile touch of moving figures. I also let players roll dice as normal and I apply any damage the players do to enemy manually. I roll mine electronically of course against PC's in the game and let the trackers/software do most of my work.

Oh and remember to switch off the centre on active character otherwise that will drive you nuts with the map jumping around.

It does work very well.

Trenloe
April 17th, 2017, 01:15
Screenshot of my setup here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28752-Looking-for-suggestions-regarding-using-monitor-as-table-for-FG-IRL&p=286155&viewfull=1#post286155 And other people's setup in that thread too.

GalloEX
January 8th, 2018, 04:20
What happened to Tabletop-Connect?

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2018, 04:32
What happened to Tabletop-Connect?
Welcome :)

Most of the information is in the first post. If you were a backer of TTC you should have received emails with the details.

In short, the developer of CCT (Carl) has joined the developers of SmiteWorks and has been forwarding the development of the next major revision (generation) of Fantasy Grounds, known informally as FG Unity. CCT is not going to become a product, but the technology and knowledge from CCT will be used in FGU.

There is no release date for FGU, and specific details of it's capabilities have not been announced other than to say (in general); all current DLC will be usable with FGU, that it will support native 64 bit architecture, and networking is being reworked.

Their are more details and discussions you can find if you search the forums here for "unity" or "fgu"

Ken L
January 8th, 2018, 10:42
He got acqui-hired.

As for TTC, unknown. current FGU targets are replication of legacy features, 3d seems leagues away.

ddavison
January 8th, 2018, 14:10
Carl (the creator of TTC) is still busy helping us rebuild Fantasy Grounds into FGU. Unfortunately, it's a bigger project than we hoped, so development is still ongoing. We need to get that done before we can begin incorporating the advanced features from TTC. Several big enhancements have been ported over so far, though, for imaging.

Nylanfs
January 8th, 2018, 16:50
Maybe you just need to learn how to flog better? Perhaps put some twist into the handle when whipping them?

Mellock
January 8th, 2018, 19:33
And like, feed him lots of sugar and caffeine.

dberkompas
January 8th, 2018, 20:07
I'll gladly donate twinkies & Jolt (or Mtn. Dew).

Dave

Erin Righ
January 10th, 2018, 03:16
They banned Jolt in BC, sucks, I loved that stuff as a teen ager, helped me through Basic

celestian
January 10th, 2018, 06:24
They banned Jolt in BC, sucks, I loved that stuff as a teen ager, helped me through Basic

You are in luck my friend. The future is NOW!

Amazon.com JOLT COLA (https://smile.amazon.com/Carbonated-Energy-Drink-Original-Recipe/dp/B075VFWSPD/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515565397&sr=8-1&keywords=jolt+cola)

I prefer Mexican Coke in Glass (https://smile.amazon.com/Mexican-Coke-Glass-Bottle-Pack/dp/B0012ZYZ5I/ref=sr_ph_1_s_f_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515565486&sr=sr-1&ppw=fresh&keywords=mexican+coke)... and no, not the white kind.

AzgrymnThePale
August 16th, 2019, 07:56
Is tabletop Connect still happening?

Paranormal GM
August 16th, 2019, 10:44
Nope

Trenloe
August 16th, 2019, 13:38
Welcome to the FG Forums. No, it’s not. But FG Unity is!

ddavison
August 16th, 2019, 15:19

When we brought Carl on board in 2015, we wanted to task him with helping us merge the best features of TTC with FG. Fantasy Grounds Unity demonstrates the first pass of this. Our focus is more on the 2D mapping improvements for this initial phase. We plan to move into 2.5D in a future phase and then 3D beyond that. We will continue to evaluate what features make the most sense to the audience going forward. Carl has been a great addition to the team and we are happy that people are now getting a chance to see some of the fruits of his labor. Fantasy Grounds Unity is now in Alpha testing for a limited set of users who backed at the appropriate levels for our Fantasy Grounds Unity Kickstarter. Beta and an official release are planned for later this year.

Henrique Oliveira Machado
August 16th, 2019, 22:44
When we brought Carl on board in 2015, we wanted to task him with helping us merge the best features of TTC with FG. Fantasy Grounds Unity demonstrates the first pass of this. Our focus is more on the 2D mapping improvements for this initial phase. We plan to move into 2.5D in a future phase and then 3D beyond that. We will continue to evaluate what features make the most sense to the audience going forward. Carl has been a great addition to the team and we are happy that people are now getting a chance to see some of the fruits of his labor. Fantasy Grounds Unity is now in Alpha testing for a limited set of users who backed at the appropriate levels for our Fantasy Grounds Unity Kickstarter. Beta and an official release are planned for later this year.

Awesome. Was goint to ask about beta today.
All respect for you guy's work.
I am looking forward to see the results of it all!

Valacar
September 2nd, 2019, 19:14
Those 4 years since Carl joined the team went by quick in the grand scheme of things....doesn’t seem like 4 years. Looking forward to FG unity soon.

DwightLee
October 26th, 2019, 18:58
I am glad to hear Carl is still on the team, and looking forward to the future of Fantasy Grounds... we are at the doorstep of the first step... Unity... the future looks great