PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying, got a question

Keltyrr
September 30th, 2015, 05:23
So I am looking at buying Ultimate in about 2 months. I've got a pair of good sized groups that I would be hosting for so it's easier for me to pay for ultimate than to try to convince everyone else to pay for regular.

My question is if I will be able to make my own libraries/data modules for use in my games so players can access them. I am not talking about publishing for others, I am talking just for use in my games.

Trenloe
September 30th, 2015, 05:44
Absolutely, you can make your own libraries.

Depending on the RPG system you're going to play you might be able to create a lot within Fantasy Grounds, with a parser, or you may have to do some XML editing.

Which system/s are you planning on playing?

Griogre
September 30th, 2015, 05:48
The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is it might take a fair amount of time depending on just how much stuff you want to make for them. Keep in mind it might well be better for you to just keep using whatever it is you use to disseminate information now if its in something like a work doc or PDF.

Welcome to the boards, by the way.

Edit: Ninja'd by Trenloe.... :p ;)

dulux-oz
September 30th, 2015, 06:00
Hi Keltyrr, and Welcome!

On a related topic, if you haven't checked out the various Tutorial Videos on the FG Wiki then you (and your players) could spend your time in a lot worse ways - damned's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available via the links in my sig, below). Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all of the games we play with FG, so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll cover about 80% of what need to know to run any RPG with FG.

Cheers

Keltyrr
September 30th, 2015, 06:02
Surprisingly quick replies. A lively community it just might seem...

The system we currently play on is D&D 3.5

Trenloe
September 30th, 2015, 06:13
The system we currently play on is D&D 3.5
You'll pretty much have to edit XML to create library modules for the 3.5e ruleset.

However, you'll find plenty of examples of community produced library modules here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16074-List-of-Modules Whereas most of these are for Pathfinder, these are 99.9% compatible with 3.5e (the Pathfinder ruleset is built on top of the 3.5e ruleset, so shares the same structure).

dulux-oz
September 30th, 2015, 06:38
Surprisingly quick replies. A lively community it just might seem...

Lively, and very, very friendly :)

Seriously, I've never encountered an online community quite as friendly, helpful and generous as this one - you'll enjoy your stay, beleive me!

Cheers

Callum
September 30th, 2015, 13:52
Yes, you can most definitely do this. Take a look at my thread on creating a new spells module for 3.5E (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21762-Creating-a-new-spells-module-3-5e-PFRPG), if you'd like an example of how it can be done.