PDA

View Full Version : Spell slots not expended automatically...?

CrawlingChaox
September 29th, 2015, 18:28
Hi everyone! I can't wrap my head around this, hope someone can help me.
So, when I last used Fantasy Grounds, clicking on the icon of a spell (the one on the left of the spell's name) announced its cast and expended a spell slot of the appropriate level automatically. As of now, no spell slot is expended when I have a character cast a spell.
Just to clarify the context:
- I tried this with different characters (Bard and Wizard). The slot is not expended automatically on neither of these characters.
- The SPELL SLOTS section of the Actions tab seems to be perfectly set. In Combat Mode, if I manually set that all of the spell slots have been used, the relative spells (1st level and higher) disappear - as it should be.
- The characters using spells are in the Combat Tracker, and I even tried having them cast the spell on their turn. I tried using both spells targeting the self and other targets (which, again, were correctly set). Nothing: when I click on the cast (either in Combat or in Standard mode), the Spell slot under SPELL SLOTS doesn't get marked. So one would have to click on it and expend the slot manually - but that's weird, because I remember FG expending spell slots automatically.
- I also tried applying different effects of a spell (cast, damage, healing, effects) to see if that would mark the spell slot as expended. Didn't work.

I can't really think of what setting I might have gotten wrong here. Normally I'd think that somehow the SPELL SLOTS part has not been correctly associated to the spell group, but the fact that expending all of the spell slots limit the casting just as it should is... very confusing.

Trenloe
September 29th, 2015, 18:58
Which ruleset are you referring to?

CrawlingChaox
September 29th, 2015, 19:03
Whops, sorry, I got lost in details and didn't mention the basics. D&D 5e.

Trenloe
September 29th, 2015, 19:08
The spell slots have never been automatically checked off. The main reason being that spells can be cast in higher spell slots at the time of casting, so the check is done manually to cater for this.

Where you may have seen something similar before is the auto checking of ranged attacks. But this isn't done for spell slots.

Trenloe
September 29th, 2015, 19:10
This, and other aspects of spell slots, discussed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25969-Spell-Preparation

CrawlingChaox
September 29th, 2015, 19:12
Mh, and here I thought there was some error on my part. That's a great point, actually. I must have misremembered - as you said, taking the autochecking of ranged attacks for the autochecking of spells. Great then, thanks and sorry for the silly question!

Zacchaeus
September 29th, 2015, 19:24
Mh, and here I thought there was some error on my part. That's a great point, actually. I must have misremembered - as you said, taking the autochecking of ranged attacks for the autochecking of spells. Great then, thanks and sorry for the silly question!

There are no silly questions and welcome to the community :)