PDA

View Full Version : Multi-class Spell Slots

Gumbi.ZA
September 29th, 2015, 17:03
Hi

Noticed that the available spell slots for a multiclass character get worked out differently depending on which class you start with... As you can see from my attachment the character on the left is a Cleric 7 / Fighter 7 and gets 4/3/3/3/1 which is correct, but if you start as a Fighter and then go Cleric (ie Fighter 7 / Cleric 7) you get 0/1/3/4/1

Can this be checked and fixed at all as not all players start as a spell caster

Zacchaeus
September 29th, 2015, 18:10
I can't replicate this. Fighter 7/Cleric 7 gives me 4,3,3,1 whichever way I start and is correct since we only have 7 levels of spellcaster. If we go Eldritch Knight (which I assume you have done) we get 4,3,3,3,1 as in your first screen. And it doesn't matter whether I start with Cleric or Fighter I still get the same. Do you have any extensions or other stuff added in or did you pull in the classes any other way than 7 levels of one and then seven levels of the other? Have you tried in a completely new campaign?

Nylanfs
September 29th, 2015, 19:19
Nothing to add here except Welcome to the Community!

Gumbi.ZA
September 29th, 2015, 21:15
Thanks Nylanfs :)

So been doing some testing and even if you go Fighter 1 first, then Cleric 1 ... you don't have any spell slots

Zacchaeus to answer ... multiclass rules is that you add your character levels if they are spell casters except Fighters and Rogues you add level/3 rounded down
So a F7/C7 should be a level 9 spellcaster

Moon Wizard
September 29th, 2015, 21:22
Are you using any extensions? I was reviewing the AL extension, and noticed that it was overriding the spell slot fixes I put in a while ago.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
September 29th, 2015, 21:26
Thanks Nylanfs :)

So been doing some testing and even if you go Fighter 1 first, then Cleric 1 ... you don't have any spell slots

Zacchaeus to answer ... multiclass rules is that you add your character levels if they are spell casters except Fighters and Rogues you add level/3 rounded down
So a F7/C7 should be a level 9 spellcaster

Indeed, and what I was saying is that in my test you end up as a level 9 spellcaster with 4,3,3,3,1 slots and no matter how I enter the classes this is what I end up with. Also if I do Fighter 1 then Cleric 1 I end up with 2 spell slots as expected. So I have to conclude that there is something wrong at your end. In other words it is working as expected but not for you. If you are not using any extensions, and you have tried this on a completely new campaign and it still isn't working then we can eliminate a few possible problems. One other thing you haven't got your back up on some external syncing thing have you? If so then you should not do that since that will cause all sorts of problems with character and campaign saving.
Failing everything go into your User/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds/Rulesets folder and either rename or delete the 5e.pak file and then restart Fantasy Grounds and check for updates to redownload your 5e ruleset. It may be corrupted in some way.

TinCanKing
September 30th, 2015, 05:25
One issue I've seen my players run into is how they level their characters. Are you dragging over the character after each level? Or are you manually changing any of the levels at any point? If you manually update the levels at all, the spell slots won't update.

Gumbi.ZA
September 30th, 2015, 07:59
Morning All
Thanks for all the input, The problem is solved. Still not sure what the problem was, but I completely uninstalled, deleted all folders etc and did a reinstall.
Everything is working fine.

Zacchaeus
September 30th, 2015, 12:02
Glad to hear.