PDA

View Full Version : 5e DMG Content

Dragontail
September 28th, 2015, 18:13
I though I read in a post somewhere that the DMG would be or is being worked on. Can anyone confirm this and if they have a release date?

Redemption77
September 28th, 2015, 18:25
The DMG is probably the hottest wanted title which hopefully is coming. Zeus who was doing the work on it had real life issues which I think he has overcome and may be back to work on it. Its a dificult task making the DMG due to all the tables and parsing that needs to be done and double checked. So no current release date, but one we all hope is coming soon

Nylanfs
September 28th, 2015, 19:08
And if you listed to the latest interview Doug lets slip somethiug about the magic item creation system is brand new.

GunnarGreybeard
September 28th, 2015, 19:14
And if you listed to the latest interview Doug lets slip somethiug about the magic item creation system is brand new.

I caught that too. Definitely looking forward to see something like that come to fruition.

Baron28
September 28th, 2015, 19:22
It took me hours just to create the treasure, lingering injuries, system shock, carousing, gems and art objects tables. This is no small project to parse the DMG.

jshauber
September 28th, 2015, 20:21
From Doug's interview he said it was about a month out yet, and then might not have every single aspect of the DGM implemented. They want to get out as complete a product as possible that works well from the get go, but as with any software, updates will be required to work out some niggling issues.

JeffKnight
September 28th, 2015, 20:42
It took me hours just to create the treasure, lingering injuries, system shock, carousing, gems and art objects tables. This is no small project to parse the DMG.

Yeah, you could delete that lingering injuries table....... ;D

Dragontail
September 29th, 2015, 00:06
Side note. any plans on having FG aviable for Ipad or other tablets?

midas
September 29th, 2015, 00:33
There has been mention in other posts that this is being considered after the Unity version comes out, but my guess would be that it'll be something that'll need to wait until after release.

damned
September 29th, 2015, 03:16
Par5ing the DMG is one thing. Actually coding FG to take advantage of some of the optional rules etc is a whole other ball park. They go hand in hand and its a huge task. As someone alluded to above this will probably be a product that will mature over time - of course there is the bug fixing etc - but also over time I think we will see some feature creep as ideas and features introduced in the DMG become a part of the ruleset too.

GunnarGreybeard
September 29th, 2015, 06:31
I'm really looking forward to see how the optional stuff gets implemented. Wanting to try the Resting and Healing variant rules in my new campaign.

TASagent
September 29th, 2015, 15:19
I'm not sure if the FG DMG release will come with the ability to swap out the Resting and Healing idiom used by the ruleset. That alone is a lot of work for what probably amounts to a paragraph or two in a several hundred page book. It seems like one of the bigger focuses for the DMG is expanded support for magic items, which I think will have the biggest value to work ratio. It simply won't be feasible to have an implementation that allows you to modularly enable/disable a bunch of optional rules. It's possible we'll see a few key options, but certainly not for all.

What does that mean for gamers who want to use Resting and Healing variants? Well, the best bet would be making (or convincing someone else to make) an extension for the particular rules modification you want. When the Unearthed Arcana article on Vitality came out, I whipped up an extension in just a few hours that takes care of most of the calculations. It's really not so bad, and is your best bet for getting the system to behave the way you want. Plus, if resting variants are the main thing you're waiting for, an extension would mean you don't actually need to wait to start using it.

Baron28
September 29th, 2015, 17:36
Yeah, you could delete that lingering injuries table....... ;D

Eh, no. I even implemented a house rule that you roll at advantage on that table so your character doesn't get completely screwed by a single bad roll, only by two bad rolls. :)