PDA

View Full Version : License Moving Issue

shemantis
September 28th, 2015, 15:01
I use two computers for Fantasy Grounds: one to make the campaigns (desktop), and one to run them in-person (laptop). I usually manage this by entering my license and login information into the desktop, build the campaign, then delete the license and login info OUT of the desktop, and enter it into the laptop to run the games in-person. I then run the updater to make this change "stick," and am on my way.

For some reason, this has stopped working. I removed the license/login info from the laptop (we're done playing for another couple months), and tried entering it into the desktop. I don't get any errors, but it just keeps reporting that it's v3.1.2FREE, and won't let me create/work on any campaigns. The "Update Available" button is also lit up, and stays that way even after running the updater.

I don't want to pay for two licenses just to run FG on two computers at two completely separate times. Is there something I am missing? Thank you all!

Trenloe
September 28th, 2015, 15:05
It looks like your license key isn't being recognized. How did you purchase your license? Is it via a subscription or a one off purchase? If a subscription, check that the subscription is still active.

If a one-off purchase, re-open the settings window and double check the license is entered correctly - no spaces at the end/beginning, etc..

As an aside - you don't need to do what you've been doing (deleting license keys etc.). SmiteWorks have said that you can use the same license on two computers, as long as they are your own computers (i.e. it's you using FG, not anyone else) and you don't use them at the same time.

shemantis
September 28th, 2015, 15:10
I have double-checked the licence number, because of course my first assumption was user-error, haha. And it is a one-time purchase license, not the monthly subscription.

Good to know that I didn't need to be doing this, and I will refrain from doing it in the future, and save myself a bunch of hassle!

But in the meantime, it still doesn't seem to be working. I tried entering the license key into both the top of the Settings section and the "Activate License" section, with the same results.

Honestly, I'd be willing to buy two licenses (I *do* eventually plan to use the two computers at the same time to display maps via a projector), but I'm not sure how I'd go about that, either, since they'd both be connected to my same FG forums username/email.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2015, 15:15
But in the meantime, it still doesn't seem to be working. I tried entering the license key into both the top of the Settings section and the "Activate License" section, with the same results.

I don't see an "Activate License" section in my setting window. Please provide a screenshot of your settings window.

but I'm not sure how I'd go about that, either, since they'd both be connected to my same FG forums username/email.
The FG forum username is just used for updates - it isn't used when you're running a game. It's the license key that's used to determine a valid product.

shemantis
September 28th, 2015, 15:17
THis is what my FG "start" screen looks like. I tried using the "Activate License" button at the bottom, and entering the License Key directly into the top of the settings window.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2015, 15:40
Email your license key and a description of your issue to [email protected]. They will be able to check if there is an issue with your license key.

In the email also include a screenshot of the "settings" window (where you enter your license key) with the license key entered - there have been occasional issues reported with some strange characters appearing.

damned
September 28th, 2015, 15:45
There are multiple threads about projectors etc for the player view. Attach the projector as a second screen. Load a second instance of FG on your computer and connect to your game using a different username and the server/alias of localhost. Drag the second instance to the projector screen. No second license required.

shemantis
September 28th, 2015, 15:52
I can't attach the projector to my laptop (which is what I use to run the games); it has to be attached to the desktop. I usually just turn the desktop version into a free version (I only need it to display the maps), and that worked fine (up until this issue, lol).

Trenloe
September 28th, 2015, 16:01
I usually just turn the desktop version into a free version (I only need it to display the maps), and that worked fine
Yeah, you can do that too (but you'll have to keep running updates to convert from full to free then back). You can have one free/demo client connect to a GM/full license.

Nylanfs
September 28th, 2015, 17:24
Unless he has players that also log into the game while at the table and playing, then he would need two licenses..

tomcook
October 12th, 2015, 18:26
I have the same problem. Perfectly good license will no longer show/load "Ultimate". Has anyone found the fix?

Trenloe
October 12th, 2015, 18:31
I have the same problem. Perfectly good license will no longer show/load "Ultimate". Has anyone found the fix?
See post #6 for how to contact SmiteWorks to check your licence out.

tomcook
October 12th, 2015, 21:26
See post #6 for how to contact SmiteWorks to check your licence out.

The trick was to uninstall and reinstall. All data is still there and now I have the "Ultimate" version. Seems onerous to do each time I switch PCs.

Trenloe
October 12th, 2015, 21:30
The trick was to uninstall and reinstall. All data is still there and now I have the "Ultimate" version. Seems onerous to do each time I switch PCs.
You shouldn't have to do that, you should just have to enter your licence key and run an update. This *should* change the base executable to the appropriate version. If this isn't happening then it is more than likely local file access/overwrite permissions on the computer.

Nylanfs
October 12th, 2015, 22:26
Try running the updater at admin level should this happen again.