PDA

View Full Version : Hiding Tracker Items

Ken L
September 28th, 2015, 10:59
Is it intended that once you add NPCs/Monsters to the tracker, that they become visible as available tokens in the token window? What makes this particularly troubling is that I name my image tokens after the creature in question, and the image itself will give away the encounter.

As a side note, is there a way to hide the creature name when I display enemies on the tracke?r (outside of blanket hiding everything including their place on the turn order)

damned
September 28th, 2015, 12:43
When you drag your Monsters to the NPC window rename them there -
Black Robed Elf
Large Hobgoblin
Ugly Giantess

Thats the name that will be in the CT then and the name that the players will see and interact with.

If your monster is unseen - either in hiding or invisible or whatever - leave them hidden in CT and Map as well.

Ken L
September 28th, 2015, 14:54
I can rename them yes, it's more the token window (where players/gms can see the tokens they have access to) that displays the tokens of the NPCs loaded in the CT. Even if hidden they show up for some reason in the token selection window as long as they're loaded in the CT.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2015, 14:59
I can rename them yes, it's more the token window (where players/gms can see the tokens they have access to) that displays the tokens of the NPCs loaded in the CT. Even if hidden they show up for some reason in the token selection window as long as they're loaded in the CT.
Yeah, it's to do with how resources are shared from the GM to the players - to display tokens on the player side they need to be made available. If it's a problem for you and your players, change the base filename of the token to something more generic - but only rename token files before you add the token to an NPC/Encounter entry as the filename is used as the reference within the FG database and changing it after you've used the token within an FG campaign will break that link.

Ken L
September 28th, 2015, 15:04
Point taken Tren. I have a token database just shy of 1000 tokens, I wish I had that luxury of renaming the base names as then I would have problems finding them to bind them to NPC entries of the matching bestiary.

I guess in the end it's a matter of players themselves not indulging in spoiler material. I try to reduce this whenever possible.

damned
September 28th, 2015, 15:53
Hi Ken L - dont load 1000 tokens into FG.
It will use up larger than anticipated memory and may cause the game to lag....

If your players are metagaming - there is NO reason for them to go back into tokens once their character has been setup - inflict your usual punishments... stray lightning bolts, rust monsters, cutpurses etc...

Ken L
September 28th, 2015, 16:12
Hi Ken L - dont load 1000 tokens into FG.

FG didn't seem to have any issues from my testing, and players only receive tokens that they see. In total the tokens only total 91 or so Mb unless there's something I'm not accounting for. Last night my dry simulated runs ran quite well.

Zacchaeus
September 28th, 2015, 16:27
dont load 1000 tokens into FG.

So, I'm probably guilty of this too. But exactly how do I not load them all in?

Let's say I'm running a campaign using one of the published modules (for 5e) and since I don't like either POGs or numbered or lettered tokens or the ones that come with the module I have changed all of the monsters tokens to something I like. These, as well as the tokens used by the players, are scattered throughout the dozen or so token modules I have to open up to find those tokens. Now, I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly that I would need to have all those token modules open when we play otherwise FG isn't going to be able to find them and we'll get loads of broken links etc.

Am I doing it wrong again?

Trenloe
September 28th, 2015, 16:41
Am I doing it wrong again?
Short answer - yes. ;)

But, to be fair, it's a little known "feature" of how tokens in modules are accessed.

Links to tokens contained in modules are fine - you don't even have to have the module open. FG will try to automatically access the token module, even if it isn't open. Having it installed on the GM computer is enough.

Note: this isn't the case for any other object/entity stored in modules.

So - in summary, putting tokens in modules is better than just having them all in the tokens\hosts directory. Open the token modules when you need to have first access to tokens (to assign to NPCs/Encounters), then close them when you don't need them.

Whereas in basic testing loading up 100's of tokens might not appear to be an issue, but FG has finite memory as it's a 32-bit app, so even if you have lots of memory on your computer FG can't use it all. When you have lots of players connected, lots of PCs with loads of spells/effects on their actions tabs, lots of NPCs in the combat tracker, library modules open, images open, etc. you might be struggling for memory. Controlling which tokens are loaded (via the use of modules) is a good way of managing this memory use.

Zacchaeus
September 28th, 2015, 18:01
Short answer - yes. ;)

But, to be fair, it's a little known "feature" of how tokens in modules are accessed.

Links to tokens contained in modules are fine - you don't even have to have the module open. FG will try to automatically access the token module, even if it isn't open. Having it installed on the GM computer is enough.

Merci beaucoup, young Trenloe.