PDA

View Full Version : Adding dynamic labels to maps

Ken L
September 28th, 2015, 09:40
Is there a way to add dynamic labels to maps?

Say I have a world map, as the players explore locations, I want to add map markers, perhaps some simple text or even a little castle to illustrate what they've found.

From what I understand, I can use tokens for this feature, but for adding text, perhaps labeling a ruins marker with "Everom's Bane" as a name, seems out of reach aside from some crudely made text with the drawing tool.

Griogre
September 28th, 2015, 10:12
Type the name in chat and then drag and drop the text from chat onto the token.

Ken L
September 28th, 2015, 10:42
Cool, that works.

damned
September 28th, 2015, 12:31
Place a PIN on the map that links the Encounter or Story or Item or Image. It will both link to the target info and will be named the same as the target.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2015, 14:15
Place a PIN on the map that links the Encounter or Story or Item or Image. It will both link to the target info and will be named the same as the target.
This is great for the GM, but the players can't see it. If you want the players to see it then use labeled tokens (see Griogre's post about labeling).

Ken L
September 28th, 2015, 15:00
I'll check more when I get back, but where is this textual data stored when dragged to the token?

I figured out that I can simply import labels as tokens on a non-grid map, but on-the fly generation of locations I can't enter text data unless it's through labeling a token. I'll just use generic location markers 'cave/city/capital/landmark' and apply a label for now.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2015, 15:06
I'll check more when I get back, but where is this textual data stored when dragged to the token?
In the campaign database.

Nickademus
September 28th, 2015, 15:47
I'm curious what the OP meant by 'dynamic'. If he wants the token name to change when another field in the database changes, that won't be possible. Each time the new name would have to be drug to the token.

Ken L
September 28th, 2015, 18:50
I'm curious what the OP meant by 'dynamic'.

Well dynamic as opposed to statically loading a map with labels. I guess everything is relative.