PDA

View Full Version : 5E pre-gen player characters

rob2e
September 28th, 2015, 01:03
If you wish to share some pregen characters for others to use in games please export the XML and upload them here. Please add the following information:

Character Level(s)
Race(s)
Character Class(es)
Creation Method: (e.g. point buy, roll, standard array)
Libraries Used: (e.g. none, Basic Rules, Core Classes, Par5e)

Here's a file to start...

All level 1
27 point buy

There are now several dozen total from the following Fantasy Grounds souces:

Player's Handbook
Elemental Evil Player's Companion
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Unearthed Arcana (DMs Guild)
Blood Hunter Class (DMs Guild)
Defier Class (DMs Guild)

Enjoy!

Feel free to follow me on https://twitch.tv/rob2e where I play Fantasy Grounds D&D 5E six days a week.

If you're interested in the instructions to create a new character from scratch in 12-20 minutes, see this post...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27159-Quick-Character-Build-(15-minutes)-for-Fanasty-Grounds-5E

PLEASE! If anyone spots a mistake and/or can help with better automation (spell, powers, etc.) let me know at [email protected].

Here is the updated list of the characters in this zip file:

Link to the list (Google Sheet): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qrFaqO6HANOTWdRIzNEbFXiDxF1Vkl6RY7CPV3_VRZI

The file with the XMLs can now be downloaded from the DMs Guild - https://www.dmsguild.com/product/206730/?affiliate_id=878507 (Pay What You Want)

Every race and class is represented at least once here. (Or an effort is being made to keep up with that.)

The idea is that when a DM wants to start a game with a player who doesn't have a character (and/or is a complete noob), you can literally start immediately on games where players have not created characters.

Thegroo
September 28th, 2015, 01:11
Good Idea

kane280484
October 8th, 2015, 11:36
EDIT: There have been some mistakes found in these characters, I will correct them tomorrow, until then, use with care :)

Tower of Doom characters (ToD.zip)
Creation Method: standard array
Libraries Used: DD PHB Deluxe

Crassus (level 7 human fighter / Champion)
Dimsdale (level 7 dwarf fighter / Battle Master)
Greldon (level 7 human cleric / War Priest)
Lucia (level 7 elf fighter / Eldritch knight)

1st-level characters (DnD.zip)
Creation Method: standard array
Libraries Used: DD PHB Deluxe

Half-Orc barbarian lvl 1 (two handed)
Half-Orc barbarian lvl 1 (two weapons)
Half-elf bard lvl 1
Halfling fighter lvl 1
Human barbarian lvl 1
Halfling ranger lvl 1
Dragonborn fighter lvl1

sbauer
October 25th, 2015, 17:32
thanks

Dazzar
November 15th, 2015, 02:58
thanks

ffujita
December 6th, 2015, 03:17
Today, while I was playing "An Incomplete Breakfast" it occurred to me that some PC XMLs would be a wonderful way to share how to create/use Effects in FG. For instance, I wouldn't have imagined using a "No Shield" -2 AC effect for when a character uses a versatile weapon two-handed. My thought is that I would have a campaign where I would keep these wonderful examples of how to use effects (cause you can use the hourglass to see the syntax, and which buttons need to be toggled) when my players get to the higher levels. So, if any of you have upper level characters, with extensive use of effects, and you'd be willing to post them. They'd be a great resource.

Also, "An Incomplete Breakfast" is a wonderful adventure, both the design, and the seeing of all the things that you can do in FG. For instance, I'd known there was a "Vote" command, but I had no idea how it worked. The use of mood lighting was done well, though I'm not sure if I'll be incorporating that into my campaigns. In all, I learned a lot ... in addition to having a fun time -- how often does that happen?

rob2e
December 6th, 2015, 03:39
If you have examples (class, race, spells, feats, level, etc., etc.) with certain spells and powers and all that, just let me know. I'd be willing to build a few and spec them out with all effects.

Zacchaeus
December 6th, 2015, 11:41
Today, while I was playing "An Incomplete Breakfast" it occurred to me that some PC XMLs would be a wonderful way to share how to create/use Effects in FG. For instance, I wouldn't have imagined using a "No Shield" -2 AC effect for when a character uses a versatile weapon two-handed. My thought is that I would have a campaign where I would keep these wonderful examples of how to use effects (cause you can use the hourglass to see the syntax, and which buttons need to be toggled) when my players get to the higher levels. So, if any of you have upper level characters, with extensive use of effects, and you'd be willing to post them. They'd be a great resource.

Also, "An Incomplete Breakfast" is a wonderful adventure, both the design, and the seeing of all the things that you can do in FG. For instance, I'd known there was a "Vote" command, but I had no idea how it worked. The use of mood lighting was done well, though I'm not sure if I'll be incorporating that into my campaigns. In all, I learned a lot ... in addition to having a fun time -- how often does that happen?

Thanks, ffujita, glad you enjoyed it. Here's the pregens for The Incomplete Breakfast

MinimumFalcon
December 11th, 2015, 19:56
Thanks!

Graylock
February 14th, 2016, 04:44
Hey all. I know I'm late to the party, and a little slow, but I'm wondering why I don't find a whole bunch of pregen PC's for 5E. Are there legalities that prevent me from sharing the PC's I've created? It seems members of these forums would freely export and share the PC's from their campaigns unless there are restrictions on doing this. Am I missing something?

rob2e
February 14th, 2016, 05:10
Post # 1 and #3 have them. Do you need more than the 35+ provided there?

Graylock
February 14th, 2016, 17:35
I saw those and certainly appreciate them but figured there might be more of varied levels. I find myself often running a game on the fly for only 2 players but have a need to flesh out the adventure with more PCs. This also gives my players a chance to test out character builds they may not normally entertain themselves. So if I needed a 5th level ranger for a particular adventure I could just import a pregen and save myself a bunch of time. I'd be happy to contribute my game's PC to the cause if this is the correct place to post them.

rob2e
February 14th, 2016, 17:37
The reason I think you don't see more leveled PC pregens, is you can just start with level 1 and it two seconds, drag in level of class to level up the character either straight or by dragging in multiple classes to multi class.

Graylock
February 14th, 2016, 17:49
Yup, but the more tedious part is selecting spells, feats, equipment, weapons/armor, magic items, etc.. Those things can take a bit more time to throw together and is what I have to do presently. Perhaps there's not a great demand for this. However, a rouges gallery of forum users favorite PCs would be of interest to me even if its just to check out other peoples builds. Are you aware of any such site on or off these forums? Thanks much

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2016, 17:57
There's about 160 of them here (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/171033/Pregen-Characters-Human-Druid-5e).

Graylock
February 14th, 2016, 18:07
Right, thanks. But they're not in a FG format that can be imported. I'd still have to reproduce them myself as a PC in FG. I'm talking about a rogues gallery of PCs that I can grab, drop and open in FG so they are ready to go. Just as my players create their PC and give them to me to import into a campaign.

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2016, 19:48
Right, thanks. But they're not in a FG format that can be imported. I'd still have to reproduce them myself as a PC in FG. I'm talking about a rogues gallery of PCs that I can grab, drop and open in FG so they are ready to go. Just as my players create their PC and give them to me to import into a campaign.

Well, you could be right in that there isn't a huge demand. You could get your players to do it of course which might save you a bit of time.

Vespa
February 14th, 2016, 20:19
I came across this post and figured I'd insert this although I realize it's not in the format mentioned above, there is roughly 800 pre-gens here:

https://www.tabletopping.net/dd-5e-pre-made-characters.html

Graylock
February 14th, 2016, 20:59
Is there any reason why I couldn't start a new thread with the suggestion for a 5E Rouges Gallery of PCs? I could start by posting those from my campaigns. What do we call these exported FG files? What suggestions does anyone have for this? Thanks much!

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2016, 21:28
Is there any reason why I couldn't start a new thread with the suggestion for a 5E Rouges Gallery of PCs? I could start by posting those from my campaigns. What do we call these exported FG files? What suggestions does anyone have for this? Thanks much!

No need for a new thread. Just post them on this one - this is what it's for after all.

Just zip up the .xml files of your exported characters and add them to your post.

Graylock
February 15th, 2016, 03:28
Okay, here's my Rogue's Gallery of 5E Player Characters ready to import into a campaign. If you ever need a PC to fill out a small gaming group and don't have the time to flesh out the details of a PC, maybe you can use one of these guys to fill the gap. These can also serve as important NPCs. They make powerful enemies or reliable patrons. My hope is folks will post their PC exports so others can use them as needed.

Summery
All rolled stats
DD PHB Deluxe and some DMG libraries
Spleef: 9th level human multiclass wizard/rogue. Major NPC protagonist
Reed Teabush: 5th halfling monk
Alovare Graysong: 5th half elf bard (new bardic tradition)
Jasper Rocklobber: 5th dwarf fighter
Tem The Fatherless: 5th tiefling warlock
Bearn Twopath: 5th human cleric (duel nature torm/eldath)
Ragnar Kiltlifter: 5th half elf ranger
Rodicc Longword: 5th human multiclass sorcerer/fighter/rogue. Major NPC Patron

ted.wallerstedt
April 23rd, 2016, 13:40
Thank for sharing your characters.

tfoxsail
April 24th, 2016, 19:28
Old thread gets bump....thanks for all your work, folks! Just downloaded some today to fill a file of "Break Glass In Case Of Emergency" characters!

lesliev
April 30th, 2016, 05:37
This is great, thanks everyone!

JohnD
May 19th, 2016, 18:22
Thanks for sharing everyone.

Fudly
July 13th, 2016, 20:45
I converted all 10 levels of this dragonborn sorcerer: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/171015/Pregen-Characters-Dragonborn-Sorcerer-5e

Zacchaeus
July 13th, 2016, 21:31
Sorry, I've removed that attachment. As far as I'm aware at the moment you can't distribute that or anything else from the DMs guild and certainly not from WotC.

rob2e
July 13th, 2016, 21:56
Zacchaeus, doesn't Doug's Witch Hunter class qualify as distributing something that is based from the same at the DMs Guild?

Zacchaeus
July 13th, 2016, 22:07
Permission from the author was granted to produce that particular module. And it also exists outside the DMsGuild I think, and it doesn't come from WotC. At any rate on the basis that Doug produced the original I'm going with it's fine :)

rob2e
July 13th, 2016, 22:13
Got it. ThanX!

Fudly
July 13th, 2016, 22:18
I mailed WotC a letter asking for permission. We'll see what they say.

Myrdin Potter
September 20th, 2016, 06:33
It there any reason why the WoTC examples could not be converted to FG format and distributed via the DMs Guild for free? Wouldn't that follow their general rules?

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2016, 10:28
It would be a lot of work that's for sure. I don't know the answer to your question though, I'm afraid.

damned
September 20th, 2016, 12:54
It there any reason why the WoTC examples could not be converted to FG format and distributed via the DMs Guild for free? Wouldn't that follow their general rules?

My thinking is that this would be ok on the DMsGuild.

LordEntrails
September 20th, 2016, 16:53
My thinking is that this would be ok on the DMsGuild.
I think the same, i.e. you could distribute it via the DMsG. You just wouldn't be able to distribute it outside the DMsG.

Myrdin Potter
September 21st, 2016, 06:25
As an experiment, I have done level 1-10 of the dragon born sorcerer. It does take quite a while but pretty mindless work and most is automated.

I will quality check it tomorrow when my blurry vision from staring at the screen goes away and then upload it to the DMs Guild. Will make it "pay what you want" which is free for anyone that needs it.

I noticed that the included Wand of the War Mage +1 bonus assuming that it will be used every time when maybe it will not be. Will just add a note to the character sheets explaining that.

Myrdin Potter
September 23rd, 2016, 01:48
I think I have the previous issue solved.

Should be 11 characters (and more to come) found here:

https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?author=Michael%20Potter

Myrdin Potter
September 24th, 2016, 02:21
I will be doing the Human Barbarian next. If you have downloaded a character, please leave a review on the DMS guild. Eventually I will have all of them done, just 5 more to go now.

donpaulo
December 23rd, 2016, 06:44
Wonderful stuff, thanks to everyone for sharing !

One could do the leg work, but why when others have already done the heavy lifting ? :bandit:

LordEntrails
January 19th, 2018, 01:32
I've put together a dozen pregens for FG Daze and have put them up on the DMsGuild. Feel free to grab them for FGDaze or any other use.

I believe I've automated what can be automated and everything is correct. But, I'm human, let me know if erred :)

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/231741/2nd-Level-Pregens-for-Fantasy-Grounds

They contain the following characters;
[Name, class, background, race, sex, other, alignment]
- Niserie, cleric (Mieliki), acolyte, wood elf, female, domain of nature, NG
- Edgar Scarface, cleric (Tempus), gladiator, half orc, male, domain of tempest, CN
- Rhogdinn, barbarian, urchin, dragonborn (white), male, CG
- Rorgo Rockhelm, paladin (Ilmater), soldier, dwarf (mountain), male, LG
- Rrohd Grimcutter, fighter, folk hero, half-orc, male, NG
- Alunair Songdancer, ranger, outlander, half-elf, female, CG
- Drake Grave, rogue, noble, human, male, CN
- Fate Nemisis, rogue, pirate, halfling (lightfoot), female, CG
- Comet Darksilver, warlock (fey), charlatan, tiefling, male, NG
- Quake Royal, wizard (evocation), sage, elf (high), male, NG
- Talon Lordkiller, sorceror (wild magic), hermit, gnome (forest), male, CG
- Paradox, monk, spy, human, male, LN

MOD/Mr. Z.: Can one of you add this to the sticky; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27298-Extensions-Modules-Pregens-and-other-5E-resources

doseyclwn
May 5th, 2019, 18:51
Does anyone know where I can get pregen characters of level 15? I want to run Level 15 of Rappan Athuk, and need some pregens so I can just play.

Zacchaeus
May 5th, 2019, 18:57
Does anyone know where I can get pregen characters of level 15? I want to run Level 15 of Rappan Athuk, and need some pregens so I can just play.

DMs Guild possibly?

LordEntrails
May 5th, 2019, 19:01
15th Level? Not that I know of. I've got 2nd level pre-gens on the DMsGuils, Rob Twohy has an exhaustive set (261) pregens of levels 1-3. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/206730/Fantasy-Grounds-Pregenerated-Characters

Maybe you could build off of one of those.

rob2e
May 5th, 2019, 19:03

I have a free module on the DMs Guild that has (one example of) every archetype available. There are 87 archetypes and levels 1-3. You could grab those and level a few up to 15.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/206730/?affiliate_rem=878507

Edit: LordEntrails... Like minds!

Coveny
May 5th, 2020, 03:54
5e Fantasy Grounds PCs
Magic items I felt like were fair at the levels I felt like they were fair.

1) Human Cleric(Life) from 1st to 20th (my current favorite build as he can fill every role at once at 5th level and beyond)
This PC has some of the best healing in the game and great AC
- Healer feat at 1st is best in class healing for the first few levels (and not that shabby later game either)

Damage 5th+ is based on Guardian Spirits is insane if you can keep up the concentration
- With Dodge, Warcaster and Resilience it's highly unlikely that you're Guardian Spirits will be interrupted early.
- 7th level Guardian Spirits is 7d8 (31.5) a round radiant damage (save for half) to everything within 30 ft of you for 10 minutes TEN I say! It's like a constant moving fireball that creates difficult terrain around you allowing you to kite the critter bugs.

This build uses "Distant Spell" from the 5e Feats book. (just like the 3.5 version where you cast a level higher to double the range or make touch spells range 30 feet)
- While the Distant Spell feat isn't required it has great synergy with all your touch heals as well as allowing you to kite with Guardian Spirits 30' Radius of difficult Terrain. (they DM could nix it though)

This build also has the Knave's Eye Patch from the Dragon Heist module in it. Again your DM may baulk at this. Also, this build has the most magic items of any of the other builds but they aren't as strong as some of the other builds magic items <ie Cloak of Displacement>, so you may need to dial it back a bit if you're playing in a magic starved game.

2) Kobold Fighter (Battlemaster) from 1st to 20th (My second favorite build because of the insane damage output 6th level and beyond)
The Hand X-Bow expert with sharpshooter will have advantage most of the time. (until your DM nerfs you)
- Best in class DPR with great novas and decent HPs, but low AC and issues with Sunlight.

Human comes online at 4th but they don't have pack tactics, so I feel like waiting 2 levels more than makes up for it.
- With X-Bow Expert and Sharpshooter at 6th, you're getting 2 attacks and 1 bonus attack a round and you can action surge for an additional 2 attacks
- +4 to hit with advantage doing 1d6+14 damage for 3d6+42 or 52.5 base DPR and you're going to hit a lot more than GWM/PAM because of archery and advantage. You can nova for an additional 2d6+28 and throw in some combat superiority dice for an additional 1d8 when you crit or use them when if you miss to make your damage as consistent as possible. Again I feel like this is best in class DPR.

This build uses "Giant Slayer" from the 5e Feats book. (Gives you advantage on large+ creatures, some AC against said creatures, and +1 crits against Giants)
- While Gaint Slayer isn't required it is great later game against creatures like Dragons that are both large and do a lot of damage at a range where pack tactics can't be applied.

3) Dwarf Fighter (Samurai) from 1st to 20th (Great damage, and HPs with respectable AC)
The GWM-PAM-Sentinel build provides some very good control and attempts to maximize the hits. If you haven't figured it out by now I'm a big fan of advantage and with 2 rests a day the samurai can nova with action surge and advantage 3 times a day. PaM allows for additional attacks in boss fights. While not a Raging barbarian with a shield (who isn't running reckless attack) this builds the ability to frontline is respectable.

4) Drow Elf 1 Sorc (Divine), 3 Warlock (Hex blade), then 17 Sorc "Sorlock" (I got a bunch of hype on this build, but I was a bit let down after I built him, you're mileage may vary)
This build uses Devil's sight and Darkness to attack with advantage. (if you didn't notice a theme before on advantage you should now haha) This build does well for cleanup as the range is great, and when the combo is up and running the damage is good. The problem is that the combo requires several rounds to build up. It feels clunky out of the gate as you start stacking spells to make each attack a little bit better. Again your mileage may vary but waiting for round 3 or 4 for the damage to come online is a bit much IMO. Not to mention you can't do it 3 times a day without sacrificing other spells as you are burning Sorc point every round to cast spells as a bonus action. It was a let down for me.

Go forth and keel stuff in my name! hehe