PDA

View Full Version : Can't delete images [WINE/Linux]

Ken L
September 27th, 2015, 15:28
After I delete some unwanted images, when i change focus from the window and return focus to it, they're back?
https://i.imgur.com/j5iZ1lm.gif

Valarian
September 27th, 2015, 21:05
Remove them from the campaign images folder, instead of within the tool. This will just remove the reference to it, which is refreshed when Fantasy Grounds next reads the folder contents.

damned
September 28th, 2015, 00:30
Click on the Folder icon top right and delete the source image.
I think that FG should do this but it doesnt seem to...

Ken L
September 28th, 2015, 07:08
I though it might be image size but it turns out it still occurs with small images. I'm not sure what exactly the problem is but it doesn't occur with other datum.

damned
September 28th, 2015, 07:10
I think its either a bug or an inconsistent user interface - click on folders and remove the image from your file system and when you click back in the Images in FG it will refresh and remove it. I belive that the way you are doing it both should and used to work. I think its a bug.

Valarian
September 28th, 2015, 08:56
I think it was a decision not to affect the file system, and not necessarily reconsidered in the light of the CoreRPG direct access type functionality. The delete command in images has always just deleted the reference from the database, not the file itself. Maybe it could be reconsidered and a deletion from the images folder within the campaign considered. As long as file modifications are limited to the campaign directory, it should be okay.

damned
September 28th, 2015, 11:46
I think it was a decision not to affect the file system, and not necessarily reconsidered in the light of the CoreRPG direct access type functionality. The delete command in images has always just deleted the reference from the database, not the file itself. Maybe it could be reconsidered and a deletion from the images folder within the campaign considered. As long as file modifications are limited to the campaign directory, it should be okay.

It doesnt make much sense to delete the db reference when it gets added back in the next time the window becomes active. It should either delete the image or remove the FG option to remove the entry... otherwise its useful only in limited cases.

Ken L
September 28th, 2015, 15:21
I'll confirm if deleting from the folder works when I get back. If the image is deleted, won't it leave a hanging reference then? Or does FG garbage collect that and update its internal DB correctly?

Moon Wizard
September 28th, 2015, 18:10
It's a holdover from a design decision by the original developers. If you need to remove an image from a campaign, you have to delete from the OS file folder. Otherwise, the image record will be recreated when FG loads or receives focus from another app. It doesn't come up very often, so it hasn't been a high priority to address plus I like to limit file deletion from actions within campaign when I can.

Regards,
JPG

Ken L
September 29th, 2015, 08:47
It works, but still an strange design decision. I thought it would be uni-directional in reverse in that not all images in the image directory are considered 'loaded'.