PDA

View Full Version : LF Players [5e][Every Friday 9pm EST] Ravens Coast Adventure

Daemini
September 27th, 2015, 12:20
**UPDATE** I am now full. Still inbox me if your interested if someone drops from the group. I'd like to have a few backup if possible. Thanks.

Looking for 3-4 Players for a self made adventure. I'm a new DM to 5e and Fantasy Grounds. I've DM'ed once offline with a 4e group doing Keep on the Shadowfell (completed), and played in Lost Mines of Phandelver on FG as a player once (didn't get through Wave Echo Cave). I want to run my campaign from 1 to 20, I will replace players that have left the group. I have 2 starter quest ready to go, I will wait for player backgrounds to come in before I finish writing the rest of the adventure. I want a kind of open sandbox world, where you help create things in this world, at least until after the first 2 short quest (designed for newer players to get a feel). It will have low sci-fi (think gnomish inventions with arcane magic running them). This will be a lot of work, and me being new to DM'ing 5e, I will have many mistakes. I am willing to take on new players and new Fantasy Ground users. If you see a lot of people asking to get in, still put in your application, I will look at all apps before I choose. I would like to have 1 experienced player that is willing to help me and other players.

I want to play every Friday, first session will be Oct. 2nd, between 8-10pm EST. For about 3-5 hours. Times is not set yet, but want to start around 8 or 10. I'd also like to get people in before Friday to create their character. Will be using Teamspeak for voice. Helps if you have Steam (not required), we will coordinated through a Group page, I've already have one player to post his background there.

Info about Ravens Coast: Ravens Coast is a port city with many locations, not as big as Neverwinter but still a huge city. Everything from a nobles district to the Slums and Docks. The mayor lives in a castle overlooking the city. Many of ships come and go everyday, the biggest export is grain from the wheat farms outside the city. Ravens Coast just about any shop you can want. You will start out as a member of the local Adventures Guild, looking for adventure with your new company. The city will be the main hub of activity, but you will be able to go just about anywhere. Your backgrounds will help with the story, and locations in and around Ravens Coast. You help make the world. If you say theres a run down city to the east named Neverwinter, I will make it so, and make a story around it somehow. The player should be apart of the creation process. Now saying that, you'll have to give me time to make that story line.

How to apply. Inbox me a couple of things:

1. Experience with any RP table top games. If you have none, this is still okay.
2. Age. This will be 18+ game. Some adult situations may arise.
3. What you want to play, class, race.
4. At least 2 paragraph backstory, more if you like.
5. Why do you want to play in this Campaign.

damned
September 27th, 2015, 12:38
Well done Daemini - enjoy the ride!

Andrepartthree
September 27th, 2015, 17:46
Very wise in my humble opinion, having a player experienced with FG would be a huge help :) ... if you have the time however:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php?title=Videos

when I was new to GM'ing on FG I found these tutorials to be super helpful :)

When you say " Will be using Teamspeak for voice " it sounds like it will be a primary voice based game where everything , whether in or out of character, is said verbally over Teamspeak? The reason I bring it up is if you have players who insist on text-only for in-character and others who do voice and a well-meaning GM is like " Use either, whatever you prefer" it ends up being something of a disaster for the text-only player :P .. without meaning to the voice-only players and the GM tend to accidentally ignore the text-only player since .. well it's a lot easier to respond to the voice you're hearing than it is to look at the text on the screen :P .. or that's been my experience anyways ;) ... so clarification as far as the roles text and voice play in the game can help head off that sort of problem :)

You might also want to state your policy re: players who miss too many FG game sessions... much as I hate to say it there are FG players who are flakes and don't appreciate all the hard work a GM puts in ... if you say something like " if you don't warn me you're going to be gone and you don't show you're out ! " that can help too (though I'm guessing if a player frantically PM's you a few days later apologizing about how his wife just had a baby or something you'd probably show mercy :P ) ... or "If you're only showing up to 1 out of every 2 game sessions consistently I'm going to have to ask you to leave so I can make room for a player who has the time" (that sort of thing happens too).

Statement of policy on rules lawyers can be helpful too. I know I myself have become frustrated by FG campaigns where rules lawyers drag the game to a halt constantly arguing with the GM about X, Y or Z rules .. but there are other players (sometimes GM's too ! ) who regard rules as "the sacred cow" and have no problem halting a game session for 20 minutes or longer while the rules are debated and indignantly insist on their right to do so... be aware though that players who don't like long rules debates may end up dropping out of the campaign so if you let people know in advance what your stance is as GM that helps too :)

I've also seen a lot of GM's state a " it's your responsibility to make sure your PC's get along" policy too which I fully support. You'd be surprised how many players turn FG game sessions into a "who's reproductive organ is biggest" (ahem :P ) contest.. Forums are helpful in this regard where you can set up a thread for the two quarreling players and tell them something to the effect of " Look I'm not here to babysit and you're wreaking havoc on my campaign. Work it out or you're both gone ! " (or you might be more patient and play mediator, depends on you and your GM'ing style ;) )

Not sure if you're looking for a forum to post stuff like xp, treasure, loot, players deciding who gets what, character descriptions, forum RP that takes place outside of game sessions if you or players are into that, but I found this website (free to use) to be a lot of fun for that sort of thing :)

www.epicwords.com

Tarkhel
September 27th, 2015, 21:53
I might be interested in joining this, but naturally, I have some questions first.

- Is this a completely homebrew world, or is this just part of another? (Like the Realms, for instance)
- Anything you want to discourage as far as character creation, etc?

Also, if possible, send me a PM with a better way to contact you, and I'd be happy to chat further about some ideas. Thanks!

Daemini
September 27th, 2015, 23:48
When you say " Will be using Teamspeak for voice " it sounds like it will be a primary voice based game where everything , whether in or out of character, is said verbally over Teamspeak? The reason I bring it up is if you have players who insist on text-only for in-character and others who do voice and a well-meaning GM is like " Use either, whatever you prefer" it ends up being something of a disaster for the text-only player :P .. without meaning to the voice-only players and the GM tend to accidentally ignore the text-only player since .. well it's a lot easier to respond to the voice you're hearing than it is to look at the text on the screen :P .. or that's been my experience anyways ;) ... so clarification as far as the roles text and voice play in the game can help head off that sort of problem :)
I will primarily be using voice for everything I do, If its someones turn and you don't want to interrupt you can text if if you want. I will read everything, but want the voice chat to be used primarily. I don't want any text-only players. Using voice will speed up the session.

You might also want to state your policy re: players who miss too many FG game sessions... much as I hate to say it there are FG players who are flakes and don't appreciate all the hard work a GM puts in ... if you say something like " if you don't warn me you're going to be gone and you don't show you're out ! " that can help too (though I'm guessing if a player frantically PM's you a few days later apologizing about how his wife just had a baby or something you'd probably show mercy :P ) ... or "If you're only showing up to 1 out of every 2 game sessions consistently I'm going to have to ask you to leave so I can make room for a player who has the time" (that sort of thing happens too).
I agree. I want to be warned if you cant make it. I wont take you out the game completely, I know things can pop up here and there, and I understand. But yeah, if you constantly not show up without a good reason I will replace you.

Statement of policy on rules lawyers can be helpful too. I know I myself have become frustrated by FG campaigns where rules lawyers drag the game to a halt constantly arguing with the GM about X, Y or Z rules .. but there are other players (sometimes GM's too ! ) who regard rules as "the sacred cow" and have no problem halting a game session for 20 minutes or longer while the rules are debated and indignantly insist on their right to do so... be aware though that players who don't like long rules debates may end up dropping out of the campaign so if you let people know in advance what your stance is as GM that helps too
This being my first time, I would like a little lawyering, but nothing to drag out. You can state your rules, this shouldn't take but 2 min, I'll make a quick decision to get the game back rolling. If they wanna talk more about it, we can do it after the session.

I've also seen a lot of GM's state a " it's your responsibility to make sure your PC's get along" policy too which I fully support. You'd be surprised how many players turn FG game sessions into a "who's reproductive organ is biggest" (ahem :P ) contest.. Forums are helpful in this regard where you can set up a thread for the two quarreling players and tell them something to the effect of " Look I'm not here to babysit and you're wreaking havoc on my campaign. Work it out or you're both gone ! " (or you might be more patient and play mediator, depends on you and your GM'ing style
I do not want total evil in my game, you will be in favor of the group. If you go around doing stuff the group doesn't I will talk with you privately so we can work it out. If your constantly doing evil, I will have paladins find you. I have plenty of scenarios to put players in there place rpg wise, but if something out of character arises I will ask the group how they feel. Its the players game too. I wont put anyone on blast.

Daemini
September 27th, 2015, 23:59
- Is this a completely homebrew world, or is this just part of another? (Like the Realms, for instance)
The rules are not home brewed, but the world will be. The reason for this is I don't know much of the FR Lore to keep it true. It will be like the FR world, as apposed to Dark Sun, Eberron, ect. I'll even let you come up with major events if you like. If you want a Sword Coast, we can have it, I like to say Raven's Coast is more to the east of Sword Coast.

- Anything you want to discourage as far as character creation, etc?
No total evil characters, other then that, play what you want. Standard array for stats (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) I will try to balance the group, but your not guaranteed a cleric, meat shield.

Also, if possible, send me a PM with a better way to contact you, and I'd be happy to chat further about some ideas. Thanks!
Will do