PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to...

Delekahn
January 18th, 2005, 23:39
I was wondering if:

1. Can I get the token box to stay organized. I have tried to organize it. but when I open the game again, it's all a mess again.

2. Can you get the chat box to always show the die roll totals. I think it should always show the roll/modifiers/totals to the DM to speed up time. I shouldn't have to always right click, then total.

3. Can I get the die rolls to make a die roll noise? Just for atmosphere.

4. Is it possible to open a xml in excel/word and have it make sense to me, make my changes, then convert back to xml. (I want to make my own charatcer sheet and looking at the xml format makes my head hurt).

5. Can I make the chat window larger?

6. I dont have a response to my portraits question in the other forum. please help. https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/viewtopic.php?t=207

I have full version, 1.03. Sorry if these are dicussed elsewhere. I searched for some, but did not find find the answers.

Thanks,
Delekahn

p.s. I just ordered a scanner and I want to learn how to use this program so I can add the Wheel of Time mod/rules. My friends and I started it a couple years ago and then lost the time to play. Fantasy Grounds would be a great way to get it going again. (I hope)

Dupre
January 19th, 2005, 09:44
1. Can I get the token box to stay organized. I have tried to organize it. but when I open the game again, it's all a mess again.

Not at the moment, but we are aware of it and plan on enhancing the token box.

2. Can you get the chat box to always show the die roll totals. I think it should always show the roll/modifiers/totals to the DM to speed up time. I shouldn't have to always right click, then total.

We'll give this some thought. The current implementation draws its inspiration from P&P gameplay where you need to perform an action to get the dice result - in FG, that action is to select it from a radial.

3. Can I get the die rolls to make a die roll noise? Just for atmosphere.

We had dice sound support at one stage during development, but disabled it. We are undecided about sound support in general and it is fairly low on the list of things to do.

4. Is it possible to open a xml in excel/word and have it make sense to me, make my changes, then convert back to xml. (I want to make my own charatcer sheet and looking at the xml format makes my head hurt).

We plan of having some support for E-Tools.

5. Can I make the chat window larger?

Not at the moment. This has some technical challenges as the boundaries of the chat window are the boundaries for dices so if players have a different size chat window, the dice won't roll identically.

6. I dont have a response to my portraits question in the other forum. please help. https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/viewtopic.php?t=207

There is one now.

Visigodo
January 19th, 2005, 15:06
I really would like to see some sound support. Sounds that could be attached to NPCs or to the map (environment sounds).
For example PCs enter a dock district and then they could listen the sound of water laps ships creak and seagulls etc.. . Or some system that you could drag and drop sounds into an area.

richvalle
January 19th, 2005, 15:26
I really would like to see some sound support. Sounds that could be attached to NPCs or to the map (environment sounds).
For example PCs enter a dock district and then they could listen the sound of water laps ships creak and seagulls etc.. . Or some system that you could drag and drop sounds into an area.

This has come up a couple of time now and I still agree with the idea that it is not needed. You don't have those sounds when you sit around a table and play (unless your dm is really creative and has some sort of sound system setup). The dm just says "You hear the sound of water laps ships creak and seagulls as you near the docks". Volia! Instant atmosphere. :)

rv

Bagpuss2
January 19th, 2005, 15:44
While it might be nice the size of sound clips is much greater than images general and so could cause problems to folks not on boardband. I certainly wouldn't have it as a priority.

WolfStar76
January 19th, 2005, 16:04
One of the things that appeals to me so much in FG is how streamlined it is. Adding sounds to the game *sounds* like a nice idea, but as other have pointed out - this software emulates a group of people sitting around a common table playind the RPG of their choice.

I don't know about you, but I've never had a GM that had a complete sound system setup to play effects and things. I frankly thing that adding sound would cheapen the software, making it bulky, and frankly, hindering play.

I can just see it now - the GM sets the scene, drags his descriptive text about how you see a handful of moving shapes silouhetted against the night sky. You roll a listen check. . . and then wait 30 seconds for the .WAV file to transfer so you can hear the wolf howl.

No thanks.

Visigodo
January 19th, 2005, 17:08
Well i dont see it as a priority to. Personally i would like see it implemented in the program as a choice, if you use it or not is just with you.

And of course you need to have the sounds on your pc before playing.

I could talk more about this, but seems people are against this idea so i shut up.

DM Greg
January 19th, 2005, 20:00
I just use Skype (www.skype.com) for voice chat and if I need a sound I queue it up on my pc and drag it to the Windows Media player. Works like a charm:).

Later,

Greg V.
Natural Twenty Gaming
www.naturaltwenty.com

Legacy
January 20th, 2005, 08:11
I was wondering if:

I think this would be an excellent enhancement. The aim of any tool should be to make any task simplier and easier. As a DM I have many numerous tasks ongoing, having the calc auto generated reduces my tasks by one additional item. Especially with all of the die rolling that I sometimes get involved with.

The current implementation draws its inspiration from P&P gameplay where you need to perform an action to get the dice result - in FG, that action is to select it from a radial.

I like the simulation FG brings to online game play but it needs to be balanced with utility. Remember this tool is being used to run a game via the internet... not to strictly simulate desktop PnP.

A DM has numerous things going on, anything to make his job easier makes a superior tool. Also consider that if the DM is slowed down by having to do numerous mouseclicks to achieve some "simulated" end, its not going to feel like PnP table top anymore.

Personally I do find all of the radials a bit slow to navigate and utilize at times. I like them but feel they are a bit overused. It would be nice to give DM's the option of using radials or right click drop down cascade lists... yes they dont exist in RL at the table but neither do radials.

To me it would seem important to balance simulation against utilization.

BTS

richvalle
January 23rd, 2005, 03:15
One thing you can do is left click on the dice roll and drag it off to the side. When you do this it totals the dice roll and and you can see it. If you drop the number into the chat window it shows up just like the dice rolls do... like this:

Guard Captain: Longsword [1d20+3]
Guard Captain: Longsword [17]

and

Guard Captain: Fireball [6d6]
Guard Captain: Fireball [17]

Works pretty well. If you don't want the total to show up in the chat window you can drop it on the table top.

rv

WolfStar76
January 24th, 2005, 15:57
Die totals would be nice - if they were presented as a user configurable option to toggle on and off, and have FG recall that setting for future play.

Not everyone will want to see the rolls totaled all the time. An on/off option for something like this would have more utility, more flexibility, and appeal (in theory) to everyone.

Remember - options are *everyone's* friend. . . developers who have to deal with the headaches of implementing them aside. ;)