PDA

View Full Version : General questions about Fantasy Grounds

LupaShiva
September 24th, 2015, 11:28
Hello fellow adventurers

I discovered Fantasy Grounds 2 days ago and i was completely blown away, saw 6 tutorials in a row and im starting to get the hook of it, i started playing pen and paper RPGs 17 years ago, tried ADD 2 edition to 4th, vampire, alternity, cyberpunk, and even DM Ravenloft and Planescape, but i have some questions that i would really apreciate if someone can help me:

1-In the free version i cannot save created adventures right?
2-How do i get modules, like new books?
3-What are the differences between player license and Unlimited License, its only that Unlimited can DM or is there anything more?
4-Is there a way to test the free version as a player (note that my mic is broken)?
5-Is there any way to put musics in the DM sessions, so all players could hear it?
6-I love creating adventures, is there any place in the forum where i can post the modules to get some feedback from other players and DMs?

Sorry for my english and for the lot of questions
Thank you for the help and keep on criting

Nylanfs
September 24th, 2015, 12:20
Welcome to the community!

1-Yes
2-Create them yourself, find and download them in the forums, but them from the store. When purchased everything is tied to your forum account so you just need that in the settings
3-The only difference is that the Ultimate lets people with the free demo connect and play.
4-Look in the LFG for a DM with the ultimate license and see if you can join in a game
5-Quite a few DM's use a seperate teamspeak channel to pipe music to the talking channel
6-As long as it's all your own material there's the Armory section of the forums

LupaShiva
September 24th, 2015, 13:17
Thank you for the quick reply Paul =) Sorry to insist but:

1-With yes you mean that i CANT save right?

Thank you

Mask_of_winter
September 24th, 2015, 13:29
Check out FG Con 7 coming up October 16-18th. There are many convention format games you can join. We'd love to have you Lupa Shiva!
https://www.fg-con.com/events/

damned
September 24th, 2015, 13:41
LupaShiva thats right. the free version will not save your campaign once you close the session. you can share your original work providing it doesnt contain any copyrighted material belonging to someone else. there is no voice/music/sounds with fg. many people use teh community provided teamspeak server - ts.fg-con.com - details elsewhere on these forums.
Oh - and welcome!

LupaShiva
September 24th, 2015, 13:47
Awesome already checked the calendar, gonna see if i can get on it :) i would LOVEEEE to try cthulhu, lovecraft is awesome.

Its weird yesterday i started a small adventure to practice and it doenst let me save and now i open and theres nothing :cry: cant wait for the end of the month, i really want to buy the unlimited version :cry:

damned
September 24th, 2015, 13:58
LupaShiva you can start with a $4/month subscription to get you started. That will give you a client that will let you create and share content and join in on games.
There will be several Cthulhu based games running at FGCon!

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/fgcon7-banner5.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 7 – Fright Night! October 16-18th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

LupaShiva
September 24th, 2015, 14:57
Thank you but honestly i dont like monthly subscriptions, because im paying for something that will never be mine, but i cant resist it, i think ill buy for this month and then buy the ultimate license :square: looking forward for lot of adventures :)

Trenloe
September 24th, 2015, 15:29
Welcome LupaShiva. I can't add anything that hasn't been added above. Except: get your microphone fixed! :) Whereas a few games will use text entry, the vast majority will require you to have a microphone - so not having one will restrict the games you can join. The best way is to get a headset with built in microphone - this reduces feedback, etc..

LupaShiva
September 24th, 2015, 16:00
Yeah i totally understand that Trenloe, and im afraid that my spoken english is not that good too :cry: but problably gotta try it

Trenloe
September 24th, 2015, 16:07
Yeah i totally understand that Trenloe, and im afraid that my spoken english is not that good too :cry: but problably gotta try it
You might find a game that is text only or that is OK you listening in, but replying by typing. Just make sure you let the GM know this is what you want to do - some GMs will be fine with it, others will want you to use voice for responses.

GunnarGreybeard
September 24th, 2015, 17:01
LupaShiva, I have a text only D&D 5e game going if you want to drop in and lurk. The next session is not until Wednesday, Sept 30th
at 7:00 PM (CST). We play bi-weekly.

LupaShiva
September 25th, 2015, 01:15
That would be awesome Gunnar =) really thank you, but gotta first take a quick look at 5E, but im up first to watch some in game play =)

damned
September 25th, 2015, 01:16

This is a global community :) It is dominated by Americans but in my game at the recent gamergeekend.com I had players from Scandinavia, Greece and the US and Im in AUS. If there are some language differences it can still work out if everyone is mindful of it and remembers to speak clearly :)

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/fgcon7-banner1.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 7 – Fright Night! October 16-18th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

LupaShiva
September 25th, 2015, 09:40
Woa! nice! cant wait for the end of the month to buy the ultimate license =)

Nickademus
September 25th, 2015, 12:48
You might find a game that is text only or that is OK you listening in, but replying by typing. Just make sure you let the GM know this is what you want to do - some GMs will be fine with it, others will want you to use voice for responses.

I've done this before. I had the character just be really shy and only whisper (in-game) to another character that she trusted. I think you'll find most community GMs are willing to meet you halfway. A lot of GMs, in my experience it seems, value voice chat more for being able to explain things without having to type a bunch of text rather than strictly for voice role-playing.

Willot
September 25th, 2015, 13:26

Hey alot of us are from English speaking countries and WE don't speak English that well!

So no worries mate, she'll be right! Bonza!

dulux-oz
September 25th, 2015, 13:47
Hey alot of us are from English speaking countries and WE don't speak English that well!

Yeah, most Americans and most Englishmen, for starters! :p

<runs for cover as he slips on his Aussie Asbestos Suite />