PDA

View Full Version : Rest Variants

geewaagh
September 22nd, 2015, 20:01
Hey all,

Was it my imagination, or was there an option before in the 5e ruleset to set "resting" variants? Like regaining HD and not all hit points?
Anyone know how to set this?

geewaagh

Zacchaeus
September 22nd, 2015, 21:12
Not that I know of. And as far as I know there aren't any resting variants in 5e either.

Morik
September 22nd, 2015, 21:21
Rest variants are in the DMG (healing variants), pages 266 and 267.

Zacchaeus
September 22nd, 2015, 22:13
Rest variants are in the DMG (healing variants), pages 266 and 267.

Ah, of course. Well spotted. Seems like FG can handle either of those variants as is, apart from the spell recovery thing. But that should be easy enough to do manually if you really needed to.

Moon Wizard
September 22nd, 2015, 23:41
I am looking at adding a few of the options from the DMG, but this one adds the extra complexity of making 3 types of rest periods instead of 2, which each have their own mechanics. (5 min, 1 hour, 8 hours) I'm probably not going to implement this one in the short term. However, I am working on the healing variants.

Regards,
JPG

geewaagh
September 23rd, 2015, 11:31
Ah, of course. Well spotted. Seems like FG can handle either of those variants as is, apart from the spell recovery thing. But that should be easy enough to do manually if you really needed to.

How would this be done. I am interested in using the rest function in FG, however, it heals all hitpoints on long rest. I would like it to heal only hit dice.

damned
September 23rd, 2015, 11:58
methinks it was a typo - and should have been cant not can...

Zacchaeus
September 24th, 2015, 18:47
methinks it was a typo - and should have been cant not can...

No, I did mean can. :)

But I have now read Moon Wizard's post and I see now that what the OP meant was the Healing variants and not the rest variants. The first rest variant is the same as the normal rest except that the periods are 5 mins for short and 1 hour for long - so that wouldn't have any effect on FG at all. The second one is the same it's just longer periods which again wouldn't cause FG a problem, but recovering only half the spells would. This was the thrust of my response.

The healing ones are more problematic. I suppose what you would need to do would be not to click the long rest button and do everything manually. For the Action Surge one you can set up an effect with a number of uses per rest to track the number used, but you'd have problems with FG's auto reset function on a long rest (I think) so again you'd likely need to manually do whatever was needed to be done manually.

demonsbane
September 26th, 2015, 17:12
I am looking at adding a few of the options from the DMG (. . .) I'm probably not going to implement this one in the short term. However, I am working on the healing variants.

Maybe placing things like these as On/Off Switches at Options could work well, without any hassle to the ruleset & general interface.

geewaagh
September 27th, 2015, 18:59
My current work around is to just note damage taken by all characters, do a full rest, then add damage back.
Not that elegant, but it works.

Thanks for all the replies.