PDA

View Full Version : Game Running Speed

RedNinja
September 22nd, 2015, 13:18
Hello,

Im having a bit of a unique problem here. I downloaded and installed the demo to see how this is for right now but im having an issue where when i launch the game my mouse movements are laggy and stuff takes a bit to load as if the computer is having an hard time computing the information. This cannot be the case since i have a very high end computer. is it possible that my computer is too beefy for the game to work properly?

Quick PC stats:
Intel 8core
64Gb Ram
4x Titan x @ 12GB Vram each SLI Bridged (48GB total)
installed on 250GB SSD

ddavison
September 22nd, 2015, 14:45
That is a very nice setup. I'm running on a fairly high-end rig most times as well, but without the SLI. I had a lot of problems with an earlier SLI system I had with other games, but not with FG, so I've avoided it since and just went with a single high-end graphic card.

The current system is not going to take full advantage of your system and will run single threaded. With that said, a single thread should be more than enough to run it very smoothly. We also run on low-end test machines quite well. The load times depend pretty heavily on how many modules you have loaded and open and what you have in your portraits and tokens folders. These currently get loaded into memory when you launch your campaign.

There are three things I would recommend checking.
1. Launch FG and go to settings. Make sure the Cross-platform compatibility for Linux and Mac is unchecked if you are running Windows
2. Make sure your App Data and Data Directory are not set up on a shared service like OneDrive or Dropbox because the syncing can cause issues in a live game enviroment
3. Double check your portraits and tokens folders to make sure you don't have too many things loaded into there. If you do, you might want to build them as modules that you can open or close when you need them.

demonsbane
September 22nd, 2015, 16:21
For what is worth, even in a netbook (first generation Intel Atom processor, 1GB RAM, no dedicated GPU, Win7 Ultimate/Win 10 Pro), loaded with Deluxe Core D&D 5E PHB, MM and more heavy mods, the mouse movement is normal, even when dragging FG windows and objects; only the dice animation is more or less laggy there.

Part of my point is that it seems to me very hard to overload a PC like RedNinja's with Fantasy Grounds. Now, of course the problem must lie somewhere.

Moon Wizard
September 22nd, 2015, 17:36
Also, if you are running through Steam, disable the Steam overlay for Fantasy Grounds in the Steam Library properties for FG.

Regards,
JPG

damned
September 23rd, 2015, 01:22
Hello,

Im having a bit of a unique problem here. I downloaded and installed the demo to see how this is for right now but im having an issue where when i launch the game my mouse movements are laggy and stuff takes a bit to load as if the computer is having an hard time computing the information. This cannot be the case since i have a very high end computer. is it possible that my computer is too beefy for the game to work properly?

When you say "stuff takes a bit to load " what do you mean exactly? If I load a largish image - say 2mb on my 8g, i7, SSD it can still lag a little (couple of seconds) while it loads the image. The current FG engine is single threaded and is no speed demon as a result.
Mouse is another issue...
In Settings make sure you are on Live and you have not enabled Cross platform compatibility.

RedNinja
September 23rd, 2015, 03:10
I have it direct download im not through steam. Also just in the main menu clicking join or create game its vary slow and sluggish. clikcing create game is taking 15 seconds to load the next screen. moving windows around its like old school windows where it makes multiple copies then catches up. :/ nothing is in a synced folder and im running windows 10 and cross system is unchecked.

Moon Wizard
September 23rd, 2015, 03:13
The only other thing I can think of is to mess around with the graphics driver settings to see if it's a graphics driver/card issue. We've seen it occasionally where a certain graphics card/driver doesn't run well, and disabling settings or updating driver can fix it. In most graphics driver software, you can even configure settings via app. Try starting with various antialias settings.

Regards,
JPG

Nylanfs
September 23rd, 2015, 03:44
That definitely sounds like a video driver issue.

kylania
September 23rd, 2015, 03:53
Only 4 Titans? https://i.imgur.com/DAaNDFN.png ;)

RedNinja
September 23rd, 2015, 05:29
lol i dont even know how i would adjust anything. do i dumb it all down?

RedNinja
September 23rd, 2015, 05:36
So i totally brought everything down in settings to its lowest settings for my graphic cards and now it works smooth as butter. thank you everyone for you help if you want you can close thread or make a FAQ for it for other beefy systems :D

Wolfheart
September 23rd, 2015, 07:42
I would trade several family members and everything they own for that rig :square:

RedNinja
September 23rd, 2015, 12:28
I saved up for a long time over 5 years. everytime i was gonna buy all the parts new better stuff came up which made the budget go up so i had to keep waiting lol