PDA

View Full Version : AC proficiency check

seanarcher
September 22nd, 2015, 06:11
Hi all

Am I missing something here?

I've only just got into 5e(this week) and as far as i understand your AC is Armor + dex(depending in armor) + proficiency(if you're)

So at 1st level

studded leather 12 + 4(dex mod) +2(prof) = ac 18 is this correct?

If so when I check proficient on the character sheet nothing happens other than the star turning gold, is the check meant to add the proficiency stat or is it there just as a flag?

Any help is appreciated
Sean

PS So far I'm really impressed with FG :)

Blackwolf
September 22nd, 2015, 06:53
iT ISNT CLEAR EVEN IN THE HARD COPY PHB Players Hand Book AC armor class is either 10 plus any Dex mods and a shield, or what ever armor they wear plus Dex up to limit of the armor and a shield within the limits of armor proficiencies. Its like a sentence in the 5E PHB page 144 top right.

Trenloe
September 22nd, 2015, 06:55
Armor proficiency doesn't increase your AC. It means you don't get the penalties when wearing armor you're not proficient in: "disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and you can't cast spells" (PHB p144).

seanarcher
September 22nd, 2015, 07:02
iT ISNT CLEAR EVEN IN THE HARD COPY PHB Players Hand Book AC armor class is either 10 plus any Dex mods and a shield, or what ever armor they wear plus Dex up to limit of the armor and a shield within the limits of armor proficiencies. Its like a sentence in the 5E PHB page 144 top right.

AHHHhhhh, ok thanks for the heads up :) I understand the mechanics of it now. Proficient = no penalties, Non-Proficient = disadvantage

So the check(gold star) on the AC in FG's performs disadvantage rolls of the char is not proficient....

Cheers!

Griogre
September 22nd, 2015, 11:59
Yeah and watch those monks. I had a few of them check off the proficiency toggle since they don't wear armor and then it took a bunch of time to figure out why they were getting all the disadvantage rolls. :p