PDA

View Full Version : Ranger: Defensive Tactics

Morik
September 21st, 2015, 18:07
Is there a way to automate the Ranger's Defensive Tactics class feature? It has three effects.

Escape the Horde: Opportunity attacks made against you, are made with Disadvantage.

Multiattack Defense: When a creature hits you with an attack, you gain +4 AC against all further attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn.

Steel Will: You have Advantage on Sves vs being frightened.

What I did, was make effects for it with just the text and activated them. That way, they come up on the combat tracker as a reminder.

TASagent
September 21st, 2015, 19:19
Escape the Horde:

The 5E Effects page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects) shows that Advantage and Disadvantage effects support conditional triggering on opportunity attacks. However, in order to capitalize on that, you have to make sure that opportunity attacks are rolled with the appropriate modifier (so FG knows they're opportunity attacks). This can be done either with the Modifiers window, or by holding Shift when making an attack. In this case, I believe you want "GRANTDISATK: opportunity"

Multiattack Defense:

I can't think of any good way to automate this one. I would either use, or have the player use, an ability that gave him +4 AC and expends on the next roll, and have him manually trigger it when appropriate.

Steel Will:

This one might have to be full manual. I can't think of any way to trigger advantage based off of what would happen if you fail.

I think the tactic you described is best for the latter two.

Morik
September 21st, 2015, 22:31
So, holding Shift when attacking tells FG that it's an Opportunity attack? Didn't know that! Awesome! Thanks!

TASagent
September 22nd, 2015, 14:01
Similarly, holding shift while rolling damage rolls it as a crit.

Morik
September 22nd, 2015, 15:45
Awesome! tyvm :)

Morik
September 22nd, 2015, 15:48
This is probably a silly question, but: What's the difference between Fantasy Grounds and Fantasy Grounds 2? I just got mine a week or two ago, but the splash screens only says Fantasy Grounds. Should it say 2?

TASagent
September 22nd, 2015, 15:50
Nawh, I believe it was just a partial rebranding after a major update to the way the core rulesets work. There is only one fantasy grounds.

Also, you may find this stickied post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24644-Advanced-Fantasy-Grounds-Usage-5E-Ruleset-Edition) helpful.

Morik
September 23rd, 2015, 04:33
Oh, that's good stuff! Thanks :D

rumsdew
February 4th, 2018, 03:15
Is there a way to automate the Ranger's Defensive Tactics class feature? It has three effects.

Escape the Horde: Opportunity attacks made against you, are made with Disadvantage.

Multiattack Defense: When a creature hits you with an attack, you gain +4 AC against all further attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn.

Steel Will: You have Advantage on Sves vs being frightened.

What I did, was make effects for it with just the text and activated them. That way, they come up on the combat tracker as a reminder.

I'm pretty certain you only get to choose one of the three when you reach that level