PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way the DM can modify the players roll, from the DM side?

jajen2003
September 20th, 2015, 22:15
Hey all,

So I've been testing out a few things, and I can't seem to figure it out. I'm attempting to use the various quick modifiers and even the ones like Cover, Sup. Cover, etc. to be applied to my player's rolls from my DM screen, but it doesn't seem to be working. It only modifies rolls that I, the DM make. Is there a way that I can make my player's rolls come in at ADV/DIS, +2, +5, against Cover, etc.? Surely there must be a way. So I must be missing something.

Currently, I have to tell my players to click on "ADV" or go to the "+/-" modifier window and click "Cover". Is there a way that when I click these from my interface, the incoming rolls have those modifiers applied, without the need of my players needing to do anything?

Thanks,

Jake(DM)

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2015, 22:32
Short answer is no; you tell the players to roll with advantage or that they need to make the attack against cover etc and they do the modifier. If your players are super lazy and have difficulty with this then you can always make the rolls for them and those rolls will use whatever modifier you have up on your screen.

jajen2003
September 20th, 2015, 22:33
Short answer is no; you tell the players to roll with advantage or that they need to make the attack against cover etc and they do the modifier. If your players are super lazy and have difficulty with this then you can always make the rolls for them and those rolls will use whatever modifier you have up on your screen.

Thanks, Zacchaeus. That is unfortunate. In that case then, I'm having trouble finding documentation regarding "Use Current Target for Rolls" and "Do Not Use Current Target for Rolls". Can you please explain what that means?

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2015, 22:43
Use current target uses whatever target the attacker has targeted. So if Bob has a Goblin targeted and 'use current target' is on all of Bob's attacks, damage etc will be directed at the Goblin. If 'use current target' is off then the rolls Bob makes will simply be made into the chat box with no effect on any NPC - even one he has targeted. Once such rolls are made the entry in the chat window can then be dragged onto whatever target the player (or DM) wants. I can't think when this would be useful but someone will no doubt tell you :)

jajen2003
September 20th, 2015, 22:48
Hmmm. Perhaps we're not talking about the same thing. I'm referring to this tiny crosshair next to the modifier stack window.

On Image

Off Image

If we are talking about the same the thing, then, ok. Cool. Thanks again, Zacchaeus.

jajen2003
September 20th, 2015, 22:49
Does anyone have the link to the FG Suggestions website. I believe Moon Wizard hosts it. I'm not sure. Thank you.

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2015, 22:54
We are, indeed talking about the same thing.

One other thing about your first point. You can set up effects if you wanted to and drag these onto the NPC before the players attack rolls. For example if you created an effect (in the effects tab) GRANDATVATK: and drag that to an NPC then the players will get advantage against the target. You can do the same thing using COVER and SCOVER keywords to set those up too. Not sure if this would be worth the effort though and the players must do some of the work - you have enough to think about :)

jajen2003
September 20th, 2015, 22:57
We are, indeed talking about the same thing.

One other thing about your first point. You can set up effects if you wanted to and drag these onto the NPC before the players attack rolls. For example if you created an effect (in the effects tab) GRANDATVATK: and drag that to an NPC then the players will get advantage against the target. You can do the same thing using COVER and SCOVER keywords to set those up too. Not sure if this would be worth the effort though and the players must do some of the work - you have enough to think about :)

Yeah, I thought about using custom effects and applying them via the CT. It is a bit of a hassle. It would be much easier to just use the Modifier Stack to apply the modifier to any incoming roll. Or use the Modifier Window to do the same thing. It is a pain to ask a player to go to the modifier window, click the modifier and roll the attack. Plus, it takes some of the mystery away. But that's preference I suppose.

Do you have the link to the suggestions website? I seem to have lost it.

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2015, 22:58
Does anyone have the link to the FG Suggestions website. I believe Moon Wizard hosts it. I'm not sure. Thank you.

Linky (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16269-Official-wish-list)

jajen2003
September 20th, 2015, 22:58
Thanks, Zacchaeus

damned
September 21st, 2015, 07:53
Modifiers is easier than effects and works well but teh modifier only applies to the very next roll.
In most cases you will not use "Do Not Use Current Target for Rolls". If you roll attack or damage you want it to apply to the target. Saving throws etc ignore the target anyway.
I recomend that you DONT use effects straight away until you get the hang of other things. Effects are very cool, very awesome and very powerful. Also Distracting and time consuming while you are trying to learn lots of other things. You will know when you are ready to add a few effects.

kylania
September 21st, 2015, 13:59
Same way as you would at the table. Either have them roll it properly in the first place or do the math in your head after they roll or ignore their result entirely. :)

jajen2003
September 21st, 2015, 14:09
Agreed. It would be convenient though as the DM to add modifiers to player rolls. But it can't be done yet. So I posted a suggestion on the Wish List. Thanks all for the responses.