PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Abyss Stream

FSHSchmo
September 20th, 2015, 00:47
Are you scared of the Dark??? Join us in 15 minutes at Twitch.tv/fshschmo as the party ventures into the Underdark using the Out of the Abyss module. Hope to see everybody there!

TASagent
September 21st, 2015, 14:35
Heya FSHSchmo,

Thanks for posting this. It's nice to have resources out there to see how others run this adventure, and DM in FG in general. I popped in while it was live for a little bit, and reviewed the VOD later.

In case you find it helpful, I wanted to point out a couple things about FG/OotA.

You can hold control and click and drag to resize windows without having to hunt for the corner/edge. This is especially helpful with large images. Also, for images, "Adjust Vertical" will keep your currently width, and change the height to fit the image.

When I created the encounter tables for Out of the Abyss, I wanted to streamline their use as much as possible. So, whenever there is a die roll that you'll need immediately for a given entry, it should roll that die automatically as well. In this case, the Temple encounter table also rolls the 1d4 when you get the "plus 1d4 drow worshipers" option. Though you can obviously free-roll that as much as you like as well.

If you haven't seen it, Zacchaeus created a bunch of maps (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26028-Zacchaeus-Out-of-the-Abyss-Map-mod) to help fill out various map-less parts of the adventure.

This one is personal preference, but when handling a reusable random encounter record, like the 1d4 Drow, I like to set the encounter to the desired size, add them to the combat tracker, then add them to the map from the CT. This keeps the tokens in the encounter record from showing up as "placed on the map" the next time you want to use it.

Thanks for sharing, and keep us updated on your games!

FSHSchmo
September 21st, 2015, 21:27
Heya FSHSchmo,

Thanks for posting this. It's nice to have resources out there to see how others run this adventure, and DM in FG in general. I popped in while it was live for a little bit, and reviewed the VOD later.

In case you find it helpful, I wanted to point out a couple things about FG/OotA.

You can hold control and click and drag to resize windows without having to hunt for the corner/edge. This is especially helpful with large images. Also, for images, "Adjust Vertical" will keep your currently width, and change the height to fit the image.

When I created the encounter tables for Out of the Abyss, I wanted to streamline their use as much as possible. So, whenever there is a die roll that you'll need immediately for a given entry, it should roll that die automatically as well. In this case, the Temple encounter table also rolls the 1d4 when you get the "plus 1d4 drow worshipers" option. Though you can obviously free-roll that as much as you like as well.

If you haven't seen it, Zacchaeus created a bunch of maps (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26028-Zacchaeus-Out-of-the-Abyss-Map-mod) to help fill out various map-less parts of the adventure.

This one is personal preference, but when handling a reusable random encounter record, like the 1d4 Drow, I like to set the encounter to the desired size, add them to the combat tracker, then add them to the map from the CT. This keeps the tokens in the encounter record from showing up as "placed on the map" the next time you want to use it.

Thanks for sharing, and keep us updated on your games!

Learned a few new tricks there and will be downloading the maps for sure!