PDA

View Full Version : Moving Data and License to New Computer

LordEntrails
September 19th, 2015, 22:57
I know most of this has been asked and answered elsewhere on the forumns, but I can't find it.

I'm looking to move my campaign (data and license) to my work laptop so I can DM while travelling. Four issues that I know of;

1) License - Since I won't be using my current GM host, I can just enter my license key into my work laptop and run an update and it should all work right?

2) Data - How can I move all my campaign data etc to my laptop? What do I have to be careful with/about?

3) Hotel Firewalls - Anyone tried to host while in a hotel? Can I expect port forwarding type of trouble? Since I don't control the firewall, I won't be able to do any port forwarding or setting exceptions etc. Anyone know what I can expect?

4) Server Alias - I imagine I will need to use/get a different alias server alias from FG? Will my normal host be able to keep its current alias?

Thanks in advance!

damned
September 20th, 2015, 03:04
1. Yes.
2. Copy the \campaigns, \extensions, \portraits, \modules folders over. Typically only your \campaign folder will change while between computers.
3. Ive been in hotels where I got a public IP and I was able to host without issues. Id personally checkout Hamachi or a VPN provider BEFORE game night....
4. I believe your laptop will get a different ALIAS - even if it is often pointing to the same IP Address it will be recorded under a different alias.

LordEntrails
September 20th, 2015, 03:16
Thanks