PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding problem

diablodevil2
September 17th, 2015, 14:33
Heya, I've got the ultimate license, and I'm trying to work out how to forward my port 1802. I've looked through no less then 3 step by step guides, followed them, and it's just not working. I'd go with Hamachi, but one of my players can't get it to work right.

Attached is an album of pictures of the settings I've made for my internet adapter and router. https://imgur.com/a/fZWOY

I'm not so sure about the Lan Setup page, or the Internet Setup page on the router, if they're correct or not. I've tried switching the Subnet on the Lan page to .248 like it is on the Internet page, and it still didn't work. I've also tried setting the Internet Page to the Use Static IP, and Use These DNS Servers options (with the same actual numbers) and it didn't work, so I set it back to what it was.

I'm at a loss, I wouldn't have posted a new thread, but I just couldn't work out what was causing this. I appreciate any help, thanks.

Marswipp
September 17th, 2015, 22:00
Any time you're port forwarding on any network, it is usually better to forward to a static IP.

Edit: I doubt the subnet needs to be changed. Let the Internet router and firewall assign that part automatically. The DNS server, and/or hosting device should be set such that the hosting device's MAC address sticks to one IPv4 and possibly one IPv6.

I'm aware that some OS developers try to help with automating some things in the networking department, which can cause problems for many users.

Zacchaeus
September 17th, 2015, 22:29
Have you also set up port forwarding in your Firewall? And also set up rules in your Anti Virus software?

diablodevil2
September 17th, 2015, 23:41
Have you also set up port forwarding in your Firewall? And also set up rules in your Anti Virus software?

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials, and I don't really see anything about forwarding on there. I'm also using the Windows firewall, and while I can see something that looks close to forwarding, it kinda seems like FG should be clear.

https://imgur.com/a/dBAQf

But I also had my Windows Firewall turned off for a while when trying to get this to work, so I'm not too convinced that it's the issue.

damned
September 17th, 2015, 23:46
Disconnect from Hamachi first.
instead of forwarding to your own IP address use the radio button to select your PC - DiablosDevil And then you can stay on DHCP - not that it matters much if this is a PC and not a laptop.
The Subnet should be 255.255.255.0

Im with Zaccheus at this stage - go into your Windows Firewall and allow incoming connections to TCP1802 from all sources, all networks. PM me if you still cant get it.

damned
September 18th, 2015, 01:39
It looks like diablodevil2 had it all setup ok. I redid some settings but I think the thing that fixed this one was a reboot of the router after putting in the changes. he is all working now.

diablodevil2
September 18th, 2015, 01:40
All set, now. Apparently UPnP being on was stopping things from working, somehow. It went back to failing after trying to turn it on again, Damned, so I'll just leave it off. Thanks again.

damned
September 18th, 2015, 01:41
Ahh cool - that's good to know. Thanks diablodevil2.

azrael2112
September 21st, 2015, 18:49
I've been having a similar issue. Every time I try a connection test as a host while in Fantasy Grounds it comes up as a failure and I've tried all of the above advice in this thread but I still can't get a solid connection. CanYouSeeMe.org isn't detecting me either. I've set up a static IP address, disabled UPnP, and restarted my router. Is there anything else I could try?

midas
September 21st, 2015, 21:43
When you go into your router, is there a status page that shows you what IP address it received from your ISP? It'll usually be called something like WAN IP address, etc.
If so, make sure that IP address matches what you see when you go to canyouseeme.org. That's just a quick way of ensuring that there isn't something upstream from you doing any kind of address translation (which will nullify any work you're trying to do), or to ensure that your provider's equipment is also functioning as a router, putting you in a "double-NAT" scenario (see below).

Once you've ensured that you are getting the IP address the rest of the world sees you connecting from, then the issue is either with how your ports are forwarded or a firewall issue on your machine. Basically there are three main places for the connection to fail:

Your provider. Some folks are on "double-NAT" connections. I myself have set these up in apartment buildings where there is a shared internet connection. Residents get "internal" addresses from a single router onsite. Situations like this would require you to use a VPN provider like Hamachi (doing the test I mentioned above may either confirm or eliminate this is option). This is also common when user's get a modem/router gateway from their provider and also purchase their own router to plug into it--in this scenario you're setting up the port forwarding to your machine in your router, but the traffic isn't getting to your router due to the provider's equipment sitting in front of it.
Your router. If your router is not configured to forward the ports correctly to your computer's IP address--or your router is configured to forward the ports to *an* IP address that your computer used to have, but no longer does--then the connection will fail. Also--as noted above--if the IP address your router is receiving is not the IP address you see at sites like canyouseeme.org or ipchicken.com, then there's another router in front of yours (either onsite or upstream somewhere) that you'd need to also forward ports on (or switch to bridge mode).
Your PC. Once you've eliminated the above, then the likely issue is that your computer itself is blocking the connections. One way to test this is to open Fantasy Grounds on your computer and load up a campaign. Then use another machine on your network (laptop, etc) and launch Fantasy Grounds there as well and try to connect to your computer's internal IP address. If you can't connect locally then nobody externally will be able to connect to you either. If this is the issue then your firewall is blocking the connections at the computer level.

I'm sure damned or somebody else can clarify anything I've posted (I'm on the phone working on another issue right now, so I may have rambled a little). Also, I'd be interested in knowing if opening two copies of Fantasy Grounds on the same machine would work as the local test? I'm not sure if that would still get blocked when connecting to localhost or not (since the client traffic is originating from the same machine as the host).

Nylanfs
September 21st, 2015, 21:58
Assuming that I know Azrael, and I'm pretty sure I do. I am 90% sure that this is the exact situation he is dealing with.

azrael2112
September 22nd, 2015, 02:05
Thanks, midas.

I think that this is an issue of provider. I live in an apartment where my router plugs directly into the wall (I don't have a modem myself). I take it I'm going to need something like Hamachi in order to host?

midas
September 22nd, 2015, 02:08
It sounds that way.

If you look at the WAN IP of your router and it's something like 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x (or 172.17, 172.18 blah blah up to 172.31.x.x) then for sure you're in a double NAT environment and would need to use something like Hamachi.

damned
September 22nd, 2015, 09:09
It sounds that way.

If you look at the WAN IP of your router and it's something like 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x (or 172.17, 172.18 blah blah up to 172.31.x.x) then for sure you're in a double NAT environment and would need to use something like Hamachi.

Yep or do a tracert to 8.8.8.8 and look at the first two hops. Am happy to jump on with you and have a look - if you want to send me a PM.
Read the Hamachi guide I posted some time ago - it is straight forward and works - you just have to get you players onboard too.