PDA

View Full Version : ADD 2E ruleset

Larhalt
September 16th, 2015, 21:48
Hello,
since there's no working ruleset with FG3, I'm searching for a group that can help to create one.
We can start from the ruleset built by Psicodelix (here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/library/ADD2.xcp))

I'm not a coder, but if someone show me what and where modify, I can understand it.

I speak Italian, English and I'm learning German.

leozelig
September 18th, 2015, 01:44
I looked at those files, it's very complicated.

It might be better to start from scratch and layer your own 2E ruleset on top of 3.5E because you can use a lot of that code. The character sheet would have to be rearranged for 2E, mostly the Main tab, so that's a good place to start once you figure out how to set up a layered ruleset.

You also would have to do some coding for initiative, AC, THAC0, and saving throws. I don't know how easy grapple would be to convert, and all of the AC variations give me a bit of a headache. But, I still think that would be easier than trying to pick apart the existing 2E ruleset.

damned
September 18th, 2015, 02:10
Or use the most excellent DCC ruleset!

JohnD
September 18th, 2015, 05:07
The question I'd be asking myself is this; do I want to spend my time coding or gaming?

There's DCC and/or Castles and Crusades - both will give you something very close to what you want, without the extra work. IMO at least.

Larhalt
September 18th, 2015, 07:54
Just to clarify, very close doesn't mean the same.
Can you show me, please, where is the saving throw for breathe weapon in the character sheet of DCC and/or C&C?

drvolk
September 18th, 2015, 08:01
Hello,
since there's no working ruleset with FG3, I'm searching for a group that can help to create one.
We can start from the ruleset built by Psicodelix (here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/library/ADD2.xcp))

I'm not a coder, but if someone show me what and where modify, I can understand it.

I speak Italian, English and I'm learning German.

Hi Larhalt,

i also like to to have a 2E ruleset based on CoreRPG (e.g. ported from the current 2E version or OSRIC to a FG3 based on CoreRPG ruleset).

Currently i am working on a "patched" version of the PFRGP(3.5E) ruleset to get it "fully" localized and so i learned a lot of the code struture and how things works within the FG3 framework (but my.FG3 Coding Skills are still at beginner level...).

So i could not spent much time into an other project, but i could try to help you if you want to (i speak german and english .. a little bit ...).

regards
drvolk

leozelig
September 18th, 2015, 12:14
Can you show me, please, where is the saving throw for breathe weapon in the character sheet of DCC and/or C&C?

I agree. As someone who decided they wanted to replay to old AD&D modules a few years ago, I understand that you want to play vintage AD&D and not a close relative. Fortunately, I had the OSRIC ruleset then, which was close enough to AD&D to work, but that ruleset is no longer supported.

I might be able to help you decipher some of the CoreRPG and 3.5E code since I have spent quite a lot of time looking at it recently myself and have a basic idea of what is going on most of the time. I can give you a very amateur perspective on it, since I am not a professional coder. :)

On the other hand, the existing 2E ruleset code has a lot of templates and functions that seem overly complicated, take up a lot of space, and most of the time already exist in some form in the CoreRPG / 3.5E rulesets. I found the 3.5E code to be much cleaner, again, from a very amateur perspective.

Larhalt
September 18th, 2015, 14:47
Thank you so much leozelig, if you want, you can add me to skype. I send you a pm

JohnD
September 18th, 2015, 15:34
You're right; close isn't the same. I was just thinking you might want to play instead of program... but if you have the urge to create, all the power to you! :)

I can't speak for DCC, but in C&C a save vs Dragon Breath would be based off of a character's Dexterity attribute, whether or not it is a Prime stat or not (base save calculation starts at a 12 vs 18), modified upwards by the HD of the creature using the attack.

That might sound a little difficult, but in practice this takes you about 2 seconds to calculate and adjudicate after the roll is made.

-----

So, a Rogue has an 18 Dexterity and it's a Prime stat for him (as per his class). A 7 HD dragon hits the Rogue with a breath weapon requiring a save.

That means his base save is a 12.

To the d20 roll he'll add +3 because of his actual attribute score.

On the CK side, you would add +7 to the base save roll required (12+7=19).

This is all accomplished from the character sheet (the roll and deciding prime/non-prime).

Larhalt
September 18th, 2015, 16:07
I know what you mean, I bought C&C hoping it was what I looking for, but unfortunately, the ST in the 2E works different, they change by level and class, not with statistic.
The statistics points have other rules, they modify your CA, spells bonus, HP, Dmg, ST etc.

The two rulesets DCC and C&C doesn't have this kind of mechanics :(

JohnD
September 18th, 2015, 16:16
I forgot to include that character saves are modified by level as well. Still, all the best in getting a 2e ruleset done.

demonsbane
September 18th, 2015, 16:37
This ruleset would be great news. Cheers

ShadeRaven
September 22nd, 2015, 21:30
So what would be considered the best ruleset base to develop 2E from?

Honestly, I could make ADD2 work, but the lack of multiple attack forms on the CT is a bit unfortunate. It certainly has that classic AD&D look to it, which gives that warm, fuzzy feel of going back in time. Trying to find the code where I could fix that particular problem has proved challenging, though.

Trenloe
September 22nd, 2015, 21:49
If the ADD2 ruleset is 60-70% there I'd say use that. Of course, this means that the ruleset will be static - i.e. it won't benefit from updates to CoreRPG in future. However, if there are just a few things missing in the ADD2 ruleset it probably better getting that going rather than trying to start from scratch with a ruleset that isn't similar enough for 2E.

ShadeRaven
September 22nd, 2015, 22:07
Well, in looking through the code, I did figure out at least how to get multiple attack options. It uses OR and AND to separate weapon attacks, so that's a start.

I must say, the organization of the latter rulesets is pretty nice. It's taken a bit to sort through the scripts to find which contain the functions called by others. Obviously, a lot of hard work went into preparing these rulesets - that's easy to see when perusing the code. It probably could use an overhaul, but I can see why there's some hesitancy involved. It does look like some time and effort would have to be taken,

As someone said earlier, that hard part is deciding to dedicate time to the coding side when that could be spent playing or, as crazy as it sounds, enjoying the company of family, friends, etc. :P

Still, there is a bit of an itch to dive in some and take a crack at it. The main worry is seeing it through to the end. I am not sure there's enough of a AD&D community out here to make it worth while or to pick it up or aid in the process should the initiator waver. I know, personally, how hard it is to stay on track with long projects where there are plenty of distractions out there in life to pull you away, especially when there's a low motivation index for it.

JohnD
September 22nd, 2015, 22:47
ShadeRaven your last paragraph is part of the reasons I keep suggesting that people look at C&C - spend your time gaming not coding, with the possibility of never finishing, and a really small target market so to speak.

Don't want to rub anyone the wrong way; AD&D and 2e content converts 90% or better without much alteration.

ShadeRaven
September 22nd, 2015, 22:52
Your input is honest and straight forward, John. I know I take no offense to it. :) That said, you know how us D&D geeks are - we tend to be very enthusiastic about our current endeavors. It's hard to be close but not quite there when it comes to our RP. It's why we love house rules and option books so dearly.

10% might not seem like much... and it isn't... but I know I tend to be detailed oriented and sometimes that 10% is the itch between the shoulder blades that drives one to distraction.

damned
September 23rd, 2015, 01:02
As has been said on other threads coding a ruleset - even one built on CoreRPG is a significant venture (I know you know this ShadeRaven but some other readers might not) and will usually take upwards of 100hours of solid effort and that is a big commitment. It can be rewarding personally - and that is the only reason I would take on a project like that - if I personally wanted it enough.

JohnD
September 23rd, 2015, 02:17
I hear that. :)

Larhalt
September 23rd, 2015, 16:06
I'm trying to modify the 2E ruleset based on the Psicodelix work.
Unfortunately many issues as come to light.
The GM rolls are always visible to player.
There's very few option.
I tried party sheet and calendar, but maybe I'm not able to understand how they works.
The table doesn't work. I can populate it, but when I roll the dice, nothing appear on the chat. (see attached file)

Larhalt
September 30th, 2015, 20:33
Someone have a tip for me about the previous post? Somewhere to look?

Trenloe
September 30th, 2015, 20:43
The GM rolls are always visible to player.
I already replied on this here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25938-Need-help-with-many-issues-Ruleset-2E&p=229867&viewfull=1#post229867

There's very few option.
There are three tabs down the right hand side of the options window: Personal, Game and Combat.

I tried party sheet and calendar, but maybe I'm not able to understand how they works.
Need more info - what steps have you carried out, what errors are you getting?

The table doesn't work. I can populate it, but when I roll the dice, nothing appear on the chat. (see attached file)
Need more info - what steps have you carried out, what errors are you getting?

Larhalt
September 30th, 2015, 21:37
Hi Trenloe, here some other info

The GM Rolls are always visible even with the option "Chat: Show GM Rolls" and with the option /die hide rolls (maybe wrong words, but I use the exact time I found out in one of your post)

That's all the option I have

And here is the table. If I don't insert number in the field, I can throw the dice and something appear in the chat, as you can see. But when I insert more than
two number and the "d2" dice label appear on the top, I can roll the dice, but nothing happen.

Trenloe
September 30th, 2015, 21:56
Ah, OK. So this is actually *not* the ADD2 ruleset, this is all stuff you're bringing in from CoreRPG.

You're going to have to try to debug these issues in your ruleset. As this works fine in CoreRPG, but it not working in your ruleset, it could be any number of different issues.

You'll have to work through the code you've added - adding Debug.console messages within the code, and open the console by typing /console in the chat window, is a good place to start.

For the dice roll visibility, look at the dice roll code left in the base ADD2 ruleset, there will be some code that was looking at the old option I mentioned above - you'll need to change this to use the new option.
Calendars and party sheet: These are launched by buttons on the desktop. CoreRPG will more than likely use a different way to launch these than the ADD2 ruleset. You'll need to change the code to make this happen.
Tables not displaying in chat - this will be because the table functionality relies on the CoreRPG "action" mechanism (how FG processes the result of the dice roll) and this isn't in the ADD2 ruleset.

As I mentioned above (post #14): if the ADD2 is close to what you want then use that. It appears that this is not the case as you're trying to bring in a lot of extra functionality from CoreRPG. If this CoreRPG functionality (tables, party sheet, calendars, CoreRPG options, etc.) is what you want in the ruleset then you're best building the ADD2 ruleset on top of CoreRPG - perhaps start with the 3.5E ruleset, because at least this has the base 6 abilities and relevant graphics.

If you just want to fix issues and get a base ADD2 ruleset running (which is what I thought you were looking for) then you're best updating the ADD2 ruleset, but this won't have the nice CoreRPG bells and whistles without a lot of work.

Larhalt
October 9th, 2015, 22:08
I decided to do it from scratch, based on the 3.5

So far there's no automation at all, but hey, at least I have the charsheet (25% done 'til now)

So begin with the problem:

How can I remove the name and the portrait from every tabs except the main?
There's a "+" in the AC icon, someone know in which template I can find it and remove it?

Trenloe
October 9th, 2015, 22:20
So begin with the problem:

How can I remove the name and the portrait from every tabs except the main?
There's a "+" in the AC icon, someone know in which template I can find it and remove it?

1) I wouldn't recommend removing the name and portrait on other tabs. This helps for players running multiple PCs or GMs looking at PCs to easily see which PC each of the windows is for when they have them open on any of the tabs.
2) The + sign indicates that this is a temporary modifier (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Number_Fields) field that allows a temporary modifier to be added to the field using CTRL+Mouse-wheel. If this field might have the need for these temporary modifier then I'd recommend leaving this in place. If not, look for control/template using the <number_modifier> template.

Larhalt
October 9th, 2015, 22:33
I need to remove the the form because I need all the possible space in every tab.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2015, 22:44
I need to remove the the form because I need all the possible space in every tab.
Really? Are you saying that 2E needs more space than 3.5e?

I still wouldn't recommend it - it will get very confusing for people with multiple PC windows open. I had to add this code into the Star Wars ruleset as it was too confusing not having the name and portrait/token visible at the top of the PC window on all tabs.

But, if you really want to do it, then look at the code at the top of record_char.xml and move this into record_char_main.xml.

damned
October 9th, 2015, 23:28
I agree with Trenloe - dont remove the portrait/name section - make the tabs longer or wider or add another tab.

Larhalt
October 9th, 2015, 23:58
Excuse me, I understand what you're trying to explain, but since I'm doing this ruleset, I'll do as I need, can I?

Trenloe
October 10th, 2015, 05:18
Excuse me, I understand what you're trying to explain, but since I'm doing this ruleset, I'll do as I need, can I?
Fair enough. We're just trying to give you the benefit of our own experience around just such this matter - possibly saving you some re-coding in future. But, you're quite right, you're doing the ruleset...

Larhalt
October 10th, 2015, 07:50
I want to apologize for my post, yesterday was a really bad day.

Thank you Trenloe for you advice, but I've encountered another problem. I did the modify to the code, but now I can't go any higher with the frames, It's like there's still something that block.

That's the code

<genericcontrol>
<bounds>-110,0,45,45</bounds>
<icon>charlist_base</icon>
<disabled />
</genericcontrol>

If I use "-110, -20" the frame go on the bottom of the charsheet.

leozelig
October 10th, 2015, 16:45
You can increase the size of the character sheet if you need more room (record_char.xml?), might be easier than removing the top section.

I know what you mean about the space issue... I messed around with a 1e character sheet once, and I would consider it worse than 3.5e (although the combat tab in 3.5e is pretty crazy). AD&D has all of those mods associated with the ability scores and more saving throws with long names - it eats up a lot of space!

Larhalt
October 11th, 2015, 19:18
I modified the record_char.xml and moved the code in the record_char_mail.xml, but I still can't reach the top of the charsheet.

<frame_char name="char_info">
<bounds>15,0,400,75</bounds>
</frame_char>

There's something inside some file that I can't find to remove this "limit"...

Trenloe
October 11th, 2015, 19:52
Look at the <bounds> of each <subwindow> in record_char.xml

Larhalt
October 11th, 2015, 20:30
Look at the <bounds> of each <subwindow> in record_char.xml

Thank you Trenloe, it did the trick.

anstett
October 11th, 2015, 21:19
Larhalt,

I am following this thread because I run a 2nd edition game right now using Klooge. We will be moving over to the new FG3D (or what ever the new version will be called) now that Tabletop Connect has been merged into Fantasy Grounds.

I have much of the data for the rule sets already done in XML and TXT files for Klooge.

I cannot help out with the programming yet until the licensing between Tabletop Connect and Fantasy Grounds is worked out. But I can help provide the data sets for you.

I am starting a project to have all of the spells published for 2nd edition as text files on my site. We have a decent number of Priest spells and Mage spells there as of now. Feel free to grab me and we can organize the data entry work load and provide you with copies.

BOB

Larhalt
October 15th, 2015, 20:18
Aaand, here I am again, but now I really need help with several errors and missing part.
As already said, I'm trying to modify the 3.5 ruleset for creating a 2E charsheet based on Psicodelix's work.

The problems are:

Ruleset Error: subwindow: Could not find windowclass (charsheet_spells) for control (spells) in windowclass (charsheet)
Ruleset Warning: window: Anchored static width ignored for control (breathweapon) in windowclass (charsheet_main)
Ruleset Warning: window: Anchored static width ignored for control (deadparalysispoison) in windowclass (charsheet_main)
Ruleset Warning: window: Anchored static width ignored for control (petripoly) in windowclass (charsheet_main)
Ruleset Warning: window: Anchored static width ignored for control (incantesimi) in windowclass (charsheet_main)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (linkednumber) in windowclass (charsheet_combat)
Ruleset Warning: scrollercontrol: Could not find normal icon (button_scroller) in windowclass (charsheet_combat)
Ruleset Warning: scrollercontrol: Could not find pressed icon (button_scroller_down) in windowclass (charsheet_combat)
Ruleset Warning: scrollercontrol: Could not find zoom icon () in windowclass (charsheet_combat)
Ruleset Warning: scrollercontrol: Could not find zoom pressed icon () in windowclass (charsheet_combat)
Script Error: [string "acmisclabel"]:8: attempt to index global 'label' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "lineavuota1"]:8: attempt to index global 'label' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "lineavuota2"]:8: attempt to index global 'label' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "lineavuota3"]:8: attempt to index global 'label' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "linea1"]:8: attempt to index global 'label' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "linea2"]:8: attempt to index global 'label' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "linea3"]:8: attempt to index global 'label' (a nil value)
Ruleset Warning: window: Anchored static width ignored for control (acshieldbonus) in windowclass (charsheet_combat)
Ruleset Warning: window: Anchored static width ignored for control (acdexbonus) in windowclass (charsheet_combat)
Ruleset Warning: window: Anchored static width ignored for control (acmodifier) in windowclass (charsheet_combat)
Ruleset Warning: window: Anchored static width ignored for control (acmiscbonus) in windowclass (charsheet_combat)
Ruleset Warning: window: Anchored static width ignored for control () in windowclass (charsheet_combat)
Ruleset Warning: window: Anchored static width ignored for control () in windowclass (charsheet_combat)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (turnskeleton) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (turnzombie) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (turnghoul) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (turnshadow) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (turnwight) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (turnghast) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (turnwraith) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (turnmummy) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (turnspectre) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (turnvampire) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (turnghost) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (turnlich) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (turndemon) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (labeledstring) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (labeledstring) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (climbwalls) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (findtraps) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (hearnoise) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (hideinshadows) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (movesilently) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (openlocks) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (pickpockets) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (sheetnumbersmall) for control (readlanguages) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)
Ruleset Error: windowlist: Could not find windowclass (charsheet_proficiencyitem) for control (proficiencylist) in windowclass (charsheet_abilities)

If someone want to help me, here are the links for downloading the two ruleset for better and fast checks.
ADD2 (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8IUp2Ug5DXPUzJubUowVTNJSTQ/view?usp=sharing)
3.5 modded (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8IUp2Ug5DXPYjNRTmZtSFdRejA/view?usp=sharing)
Thanks in advance.

Trenloe
October 15th, 2015, 22:26
If you get "Could not find ..." errors then you need to do a "find in files" search for the indicated missing item. For example:

"Ruleset Error: subwindow: Could not find windowclass (charsheet_spells) for control (spells) in windowclass (charsheet)"

This means that control spells in windowclass charsheet has a windowclass defined called charsheet_spells. So, do a "find in files" for ="charsheet_spells to find where this windowclass is defined - search in the 3.5E and CoreRPG rulseset (more than likely in the 3.5E ruleset in this case).

If you want to determine where the error is being raised "find in files" for ="charsheet (in this example) to find where the charsheet windowclass is defined, and look for the spells control.

Larhalt
October 16th, 2015, 09:13
I've found "charsheet_spells" only in this piece of code

<windowclass name="charsheet_spells">
<placement>
<size>
<width>252</width>
<height>611</height>
</size>
</placement>
<sizelimits>
<maximum>
<height>100000</height>
</maximum>
</sizelimits>
<nodelete />
<sheetdata>
<genericcontrol name="spellframe">
<bounds>15,20,480,570</bounds>
<frame>
<name>sheetgroup</name>
</frame>
</genericcontrol>

Maybe the problem is that I paste/copy the code from the old version of ADD2 and try to modify to adapt to the 3.5

damned
October 16th, 2015, 11:04
I've found "charsheet_spells" only in this piece of code

Maybe the problem is that I paste/copy the code from the old version of ADD2 and try to modify to adapt to the 3.5

Thats not going to work because you copied a piece of code without any of the supporting code...

Larhalt
October 16th, 2015, 11:06
Damned, did you read all my post?

I'm adding all the template that I found and modify the name of the windows.

damned
October 16th, 2015, 11:41
Damned, did you read all my post?

I'm adding all the template that I found and modify the name of the windows.

I did... did you read all of Trenloes post? Its saying that some of the references are not found. You will have to copy those as well.

If you get "Could not find ..." errors then you need to do a "find in files" search for the indicated missing item. For example:

"Ruleset Error: subwindow: Could not find windowclass (charsheet_spells) for control (spells) in windowclass (charsheet)"

This means that control spells in windowclass charsheet has a windowclass defined called charsheet_spells. So, do a "find in files" for ="charsheet_spells to find where this windowclass is defined - search in the 3.5E and CoreRPG rulseset (more than likely in the 3.5E ruleset in this case).

If you want to determine where the error is being raised "find in files" for ="charsheet (in this example) to find where the charsheet windowclass is defined, and look for the spells control.

You might find that copying code from that ruleset into another ruleset that handles something similar in a different way is not going to be easy. I think you will have a better result editing the existing 3.5 stuff to be similar to your 2e stuff.

leozelig
October 16th, 2015, 11:53
Make sure the file that contains "charsheet_spells" is included in the base.xml file. I have made that mistake a few times.

leozelig
October 16th, 2015, 12:01
Also, there should be a file that defines the fonts. It looks like "sheetnumbersmall" is not in there currently. Maybe search 3.5E for "sheetnumbersmall" and copy it over to one of the ADD2 files (or just add the 3.5E fonts file to your ruleset).

"labeledstring" would be in one of the template files. In 3.5E, this is called something like template_campaign or template_char in the campaign folder. CoreRPG, which 3.5E is layered on, has additional template definitions, so you might need to look there, too. Copy that template definition to one of your template files.

Those two fixes will remove most of the errors. The "ignored width/height" errors occur when a field is anchored to another field that defines the width or height - the anchored fields do not need to restate the width (if anchored above/below) or height (if anchored right/left). I hope that makes sense... The ruleset will still function with that particular error though.

damned
October 16th, 2015, 12:02
You have things like:

base.xml - master index of files
graphics\graphics_common.xml - sub set of graphics files
graphics\common\filename.png an actual graphic file

and then when you want to use that graphic file you dont call it - you call whatever you named it in the graphics_common.xml

for window classes it can be a bit more complex again! basically most things are defined in more than one location. you need all the definitions and all the links to those definitions.

Larhalt
October 16th, 2015, 13:35
Thank you leozelig, it did the trick.

Thank you damned, I've found out the problem with icon.

For the font problem, I've only one file called graphics_fonts.xml with nothing inside but this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

<!--
Please see the license.html file included with this distribution for
attribution and copyright information.
-->

<root>
</root>

leozelig
October 16th, 2015, 17:55
If it's a font from 3.5E, it is probably defined in the CoreRPG ruleset. I would guess in the common or graphics folder, but not sure about that.

Larhalt
October 17th, 2015, 14:03
Script Error: [string "scripts/template_d100roll.lua"]:25: attempt to call field 'DoubleClickNPC' (a nil value)

This error appears when I try to roll a dice from a thief ability field.

That's the part of the code. If you help me to understand what is the problem, I can fix all the same error.

function onDoubleClick(x,y)
ChatManager.DoubleClickNPC("skill", getValue(), self.description[1].text[1], {npc = window.getDatabaseNode()});
end

I think that most of the tag and definition has changed since this ruleset is created, right?

Trenloe
October 17th, 2015, 14:10
Whenever anything says "a nil value" then that means it doesn't exist. DoubleClickNPC being a "nil value" points to the ChatManager.DoubleClickNPC function doesn't exist within your ruleset environment.

ChatManager is a global script - defined with a <script= ...> entry - usually in base.xml in your ruleset. This will point to a LUA file. In the CoreRPG you'll find:

<script name="ChatManager" file="desktop/scripts/manager_chat.lua" />

FG is looking for a function in that LUA file (desktop/scripts/manager_chat.lua) called "DoubleClickNPC".

See "Script packages" here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/scripting.xcp

Larhalt
October 17th, 2015, 14:20
Thanks Trenloe,
but in the 3.5E, in the scripts folder, there's no manager_chat.lua.
I've imported a file called chat_chat.lua from ADD2 and renamed manager_chat.lua and write it in the base.xml file

<script name="ChatManager" file="desktop/scripts/manager_chat.lua" />

But I still receive that error

Trenloe
October 17th, 2015, 14:36
I'm guessing that the ADD2 ChatManager global script had the function "DoubleClickNPC". I'd recommend moving this to a new global script (try not to modify the base CoreRPG ChatManager script so that future FG upgrade don't break your code. You may need to move more from the ADD2 ChatManager package as DoubleClickNPC might rely on other scripts.

However... I'd recommend trying to use the rolling built into FG. Have a look at double-click code on some of the 3.5E fields to see how that works. I think this particular example is trying to roll a d100 from a NPC? Look at some of the 3.5E NPC sheet code for dice rolling to see how CoreRPG/3.5e does things.

Try to build 3.5e to work the way you want - rather than trying to force some of the old ADD2 code into the 3.5e ruleset.

Trenloe
October 17th, 2015, 14:38
but in the 3.5E, in the scripts folder, there's no manager_chat.lua.
That's why I said "In the CoreRPG you'll find..."

Remember that 3.5e is layered on top of CoreRPG. So you will need to look at both the 3.5e and CoreRPG rulesets when looking for code. 3.5e code will override CoreRPG code as 3.5e runs on top of CoreRPG.

Larhalt
October 17th, 2015, 14:41
Ok, now the error has gone, but when I double click any field, nothing happened and nothing appear in the console...
I'm almost done with this project :D

Trenloe
October 17th, 2015, 14:43
Ok, now the error has gone, but when I double click any field, nothing happened and nothing appear in the console...
See post #52 above. Don't just replace script files that exist in 3.5e/CoreRPG, move custom code to new files.

Larhalt
October 17th, 2015, 14:48
The problem is that the file manager_chat.lua doesn't exist in the desktop/scripts folder of 3.5E

Trenloe
October 17th, 2015, 15:02
The problem is that the file manager_chat.lua doesn't exist in the desktop/scripts folder of 3.5E
See post #53 above.

But, as mentioned in post #52, don't replace base 3.5e or CoreRPG script files with files from ADD2, otherwise you will break the base FG functionality. Look to use the 3.5e ruleset code first. Look at the 3.5e ruleset functionality - run a 3.5e campaign and see how that handles certain actions.

You shouldn't need to bring that much code from the ADD2 ruleset into 3.5e. Most of the work you'll do is graphical and layout based. Keep code changes to a minimum, and do custom coding in new files if you can.

Larhalt
October 17th, 2015, 15:33
Ok, I thinks that is as much as I can do, at the moment.
I can't check everything you said 'cause I'm lacking the needed skill, but I thank you Trenloe for the patience showed :)

leozelig
October 17th, 2015, 22:30

That means that the 3.5E ruleset is using the manager_chat.lua file from CoreRPG.

Larhalt
October 17th, 2015, 22:40
And where I can find it?
I've searched in the whole 3.5 ruleset, but no result.

Trenloe
October 17th, 2015, 22:55
And where I can find it?
I've searched in the whole 3.5 ruleset, but no result.
CoreRPG.

Remember that 3.5e is layered on top of CoreRPG. So you will need to look at both the 3.5e and CoreRPG rulesets when looking for code. 3.5e code will override CoreRPG code as 3.5e runs on top of CoreRPG.

Larhalt
October 17th, 2015, 23:25
I removed the CoreRPG.pak file and everything is working. How it's possible?
If I have to modify the chat_manager.lua to make some script working, if the 3.5E works even without the CoreRPG, how my modifications will work?

Edit: My bad, I removed the .pak file but didn't see the folder CoreRPG. When I restarted FG the program crashed.

damned
October 18th, 2015, 12:12
Lots and lots of functions and classes and elements are defined in CoreRPG.pak - you need to expand this and see whats in there too. You dont want to change anything in here though.
The files that you cant find in the unpacked 3.5e.pak are in the CoreRPG - or you have to add them in your modified 3.5e ruleset.

FG can load an unpacked ruleset or a packed ruleset. FG will load an unpacked one as the highest priority (this facilitates you doing your coding work) but wont switch between a packed and unpacked one when doing a /reload and you add or delete one - you have to do a full restart of the app.
Many of the rulesets are layered on CoreRPG and FG cant load them if its missing. When you launch a 3.5e game FG first loads CoreRPG and then adds (and sometimes replaces core files with) the 3.5e stuff. If you are doing Pathfinder it adds this after 3.5e, after CoreRPG.

Maelwys
January 1st, 2016, 20:04
Thread necro...

Any luck/movement here? If there's a team working on this, I'd love to join in and help. My friends and I still play 2E on a weekly basis (same campaign we've been running for about 15 years now), and with me moving away next summer, I'd love it if I could help get a working 2E FG ruleset put together before then, so I can continue to join in the weekly game night.

JohnD
January 11th, 2016, 19:08
Thread necro...

Any luck/movement here? If there's a team working on this, I'd love to join in and help. My friends and I still play 2E on a weekly basis (same campaign we've been running for about 15 years now), and with me moving away next summer, I'd love it if I could help get a working 2E FG ruleset put together before then, so I can continue to join in the weekly game night.
An officially supported ruleset, Castles and Crusades, is highly compatible with what you're playing now - AD&D and 2e AD&D content and the approach to the game translate almost effortlessly to C&C (plus $10 is all the ruleset costs). Something to consider if this effort looks like it isn't going anywhere fast.

xKrisx
January 11th, 2016, 20:27
Well, you and me both are wondering. I really think Smiteworks needs to support a working 2e rule set. I know their priorities are probably elsewhere but it should really be looked at and updated, I don't know anything about coding or building rule sets, and every time I try to learn it's slow. There is no easy way to build modules for it as well, seeing how it's not compatible with the parse 5e program. They support every other Edition of D&D but not 2e. And lots of people would play I'm sure or have more interest if there was a decent one made. And updated regularly. I see a ton of people playing 2e on roll20, I'm wondering if there was a working 2e rule set, if that would attract more players looking for older AD&D games. I do not believe 2E is dead, and there are people even on FG looking for a better rule set for it, although FORCED in a way to not play because well, it needs an update(and people keep trying to force C&C instead of looking at an update for 2E). And I don't think it's something to difficult to do, you can't take something like the Castles and Crusaders rule set and modify it for Thac0 and a few other things? It's pretty well done and there are a few minor things that would need to be changed(at least from someone who doesn't know anything about building rule sets) I think, but would it be hard to do? Not to mention any plans to get licences for the other editions of D&D? I just think of all the lost content, not experienced by people, in a digital age, why wouldn't WotC want to sell older D&D products. Especially having a VTT like FG at their disposal. Things I'd like to see in the future at least... Hopfully... :)

GunnarGreybeard
January 11th, 2016, 20:50
I would agree with the need for getting a good working AD&D ruleset. Although WoTC obviously preyed on the old gamer nostalgia feelings, they must have determined there was enough interest if they went through the hassle of reprinting the old books and making the AD&D modules available in .pdf. Not sure about roll20 but I see bunches of people on Facebook playing play-by-post games.

Just my 2 Pfennigs.

Trenloe
January 11th, 2016, 21:17
The big reason is that, at the moment, there is not a SmiteWorks supported AD&D ruleset is that WotC have not given SmiteWorks a licence for AD&D, only for 5E. 3.5E was possible (with libraries) because of the OGL; 4E was purely a gaming framework, without the excellent community created DDI parser all additional data would have had to be added in manually and I very much doubt that we would be seeing the number of 4E games played that we see: https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3134-Which-Games-Were-Most-Played-On-FANTASY-GROUNDS-In-2015-(Hint-D-D!)#comments

For AD&D, without a licence from WotC, only a rules framework would be able to be produced - and I doubt that there would be a charge for it. All else: monsters, classes, proficiencies, etc. would have to be created manually by each GM. Without official support I would doubt if it would be financially viable for SmiteWorks themselves to support an AD&D ruleset.

Referring to the link above, there was a three-fold increase in 5E games played once SmiteWorks got official support. Before that, there was still a large amount of people playing the base ruleset and entering data manually (perhaps using Pare5E to ease that process). The large amount of people was mostly due to it being the most recent "shiny" version of D&D. How much would the 1,272 AD&D games played on FG last year increase if there was a SmiteWorks supported (more than likely free) ruleset provided with Fantasy Grounds but no available data to use? This would only be financially viable if it attracted a lot of new users to Fantasy Grounds - without library data, I doubt if that would happen. On the forums I regularly see GMs complaining when they look at a community or unofficial ruleset and there is no data with it - they feel it is not a ruleset and that it is incomplete. I'm sure potential new users would feel the same if they were looking at FG with a view to playing AD&D - they wouldn't see any value in shelling out FG licence fees for the base AD&D ruleset structure only.

SmiteWorks has stated recently that they will only work on the 5E ruleset and products directly themselves, that they rely on community developers for the other products - even the paid licenced products like Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Castles & Crusades, Rolemaster, etc.. So, I would imaging that if anything is going to happen regarding AD&D there needs to be a community ruleset developed first, then official support might come because of the decent community developed ruleset. I doubt if SmiteWorks would develop an AD&D ruleset without official support and I'd be surprised if official support would come without at least a half-way decent ruleset. Chicken and egg situation. But, who knows, perhaps there are discussions in the corridors of power that I'm not privy too...

damned
January 12th, 2016, 00:24
xKrisx even on roll20 where there is no rulesets created 67% of games are 5e/PF/3.5e/4e.
Less than 2% are AD&D and they include AD&D and 2e together there so the actual number of 2e games could be way less than that again.
And nice of you to drop AD&D out of the mix all together! I didnt play 2e/3e/3.5e/4e - ive only played BECMI, AD&D and 5e.
And then we have OD&D too.
Agree or disagree with the strategy of Smiteworks it seems to be doing the trick. There are twice as many games being run on FG today than there were 12 months ago...

It is nice of you to point out how easy it is to build a ruleset and then walk away from the statement.

BTW this isnt meant as an aggressive response to your post - ive re-written it 3x and it still comes out looking like it could be read that way - so I apologise in advance if it is read that way.

leozelig
January 12th, 2016, 00:43
This is on my list of things to do if no one else gets to it first. I am kind of a hack as a coder, but there is enough existing code from other rulesets that I can scavenge... It's just a matter of finding time for it, like a month or two of solid work at least to produce a ruleset with minimal bells and whistles.

But ultimately, I agree that someone needs to do this! :)

David32780
January 13th, 2016, 22:54
The problem nowadays is that WoTC pretty much throws away any older editions that currently is not what the current edition is. There used to be a small overlap in editions in the past but unfortunately it is not the case now.

bestellen
March 16th, 2016, 11:07

damned
March 16th, 2016, 13:19
Well...

If you are doing a new ruleset it should be a CoreRPG ruleset.
Then you could either pinch what bits you can from the 2e and build the rest... otherwise probably 3.5e - its already CoreRPG but has plenty of different mechanics to rework.