PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Abyss - [requesting reviews]

dj-wedge
September 16th, 2015, 16:59
I have been thinking of going for a more Horror based custom campaign - just for something different. Then Out of the Abyss showed up. This seems to fit the bill quite nicely. But I'd like to hear from those I trust using the FG.

What is your opinion/impression of Out of the Abyss from a Fantasy Grounds perspective? Please be sure to use spoiler tags if you include them in your review.

Thanks in advance!

Zacchaeus
September 16th, 2015, 17:57
I wouldn't say OotA is horror, but it is an excellent module extremely well put together by TAS.

I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for here, have you got a paper copy and wonder how it runs in FG or are you looking for someone to recommend buying it? If the latter that's a difficult question to answer since it depends on what kind of campaign you like running. Having said that OotA would run very well as a RP heavy campaign and as a dungeon crawl depending on how you want to run it. Because of the setting it will also allow the players to play more unusual races such as Drow.

I'd certainly recommend it but do get hold of my maps (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26028-Zacchaeus-Out-of-the-Abyss-Map-mod) before you do (This is a shameless plug).

kylania
September 16th, 2015, 18:37
I'm still waiting for the worthless post office to deliver my book. USPS can suck it. Haven't really looked at the FG module yet since we're about to start a game on Sunday. Here's a good review of it though:

https://www.nerdsonearth.com/2015/09/review-of-out-of-the-abyss/

As for FG though, SmiteWorks feels it's one of the best modules they've put out and plays and reads really well due to how they laid it out.

Redemption77
September 17th, 2015, 04:04
I have the module and the book and I can say there are aspects which will work in a horror type game like Ravenloft, such as the madness rules. However the game itself doesnt have a horror feel. As for the sheer accessibility of the module this is by far the best module Ive seen for 5e in Fantasy Grounds. If nothing else its worth getting either in book format or FG module to pull apart and mine for your own ideas

hawkwind
September 17th, 2015, 08:23
I wouldn't say OotA is horror, but it is an excellent module extremely well put together by TAS.

I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for here, have you got a paper copy and wonder how it runs in FG or are you looking for someone to recommend buying it? If the latter that's a difficult question to answer since it depends on what kind of campaign you like running. Having said that OotA would run very well as a RP heavy campaign and as a dungeon crawl depending on how you want to run it. Because of the setting it will also allow the players to play more unusual races such as Drow.

I'd certainly recommend it but do get hold of my maps (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26028-Zacchaeus-Out-of-the-Abyss-Map-mod) before you do (This is a shameless plug).

Zacchaeus's maps are very welcome and estential for running the module as they cover the many encounters not mapped in the book

Zacchaeus
September 17th, 2015, 13:14
Zacchaeus's maps are very welcome and estential for running the module as they cover the many encounters not mapped in the book

Aww, hawkwind, thanks. You are a Saint. See what I did there :)