PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Thanks and Question

Morik
September 16th, 2015, 08:49
A quick thank you to to the folks who developed this wonderful piece of software. This has brought an old group back together for some great fun and nostalgia. We have a player in Illinois, Indiana, Alaska, and Australia (plus me in in Indiana again). There's no way we could all get back together to start gaming again without this. I'd also like to thank everyone for putting up with my endless, annoying questions about effects and such :D

Now for the question(s)... I'd like to use a couple of old modules, converted to 5E. Not sure which ones yet, but let's use Rescue at Rivenroar as our example (that was the first mod from the big 4E super-adventure). Let's say I get this all set up in FG and we play it out. Now can I share this packet with other DMs, or would that cause trouble, since I don't own rights to it? I'm not sure that I'm even asking this right. Hope you folks know what I mean.

dulux-oz
September 16th, 2015, 08:53
You can convert something like that for your own use, but you cannot distribute it as this would be a copyright violation.

The Community as a whole tends to tread very, very softly around copyright issues - we don't want to jeopardize what we already have :)

On a completely different note (and a Shamless(TM) Self-Plug): are you aware of the various Extensions available for your gaming enjoyment available from the FG Wiki?

Morik
September 16th, 2015, 09:00
Sort of. I'm still pretty new and know know much about extensions :)

Although I am getting ready to try out the World of Darkness rule-set soon.

dulux-oz
September 16th, 2015, 10:24
Sort of. I'm still pretty new and know know much about extensions :)

Although I am getting ready to try out the World of Darkness rule-set soon.

Well, an Extension is an addition to the way a Ruleset works. A Ruleset provided the "mechanics" for playing an RPG with FG; a Module contains the "gaming stuff" for use with a Ruleset (things like the Monsters, the Character Classes, an Adventure, the plans for a Space Station - whatever); an Extension fits in the middle: an Extension provides a change in the Ruleset, such as a different Theme (background, buttons, etc), "house rules", or extra functionality. As an example, my Weather Extension provides a system to determine the weather for an RPG.

Extensions are pretty cool, and there's lots of good ones available to help in all sorts of ways.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Morik
September 16th, 2015, 15:25
Oh, I do like the Weather Extension. I just started playing with it though.

And I'm looking for more themes. All I have is the normal one and the DnD 5E (the white with red dragonhead icons... that one is kind of hard to look at).

Trenloe
September 16th, 2015, 15:33
And I'm looking for more themes.
A few themes available here: https://www.fg-con.com/free-downloads/

BOOM! :)

ddavison
September 16th, 2015, 16:03
Thanks Morik,

Yes, the sharing of mods based on another person or company's IP is typically not allowed unless expressly permitted by the original creator or IP owner (if different.) Normally publishers don't like to receive requests for usage from individuals, but sometimes a community member does a conversion or ruleset and then checks in with us, who in turn approaches the IP owner to request permission or to establish a royalty arrangement and contract that clarifies allowed usage, ownership of the IP and derivative copy, etc. Talking company to company normally works best because they can hold us accountable much more easily than they can an individual.

More specific to your scenario above, the 4E stuff is something that Wizards of the Coast has yet to approve us to do. If we receive permission to start converting any older edition content over to play on 5E, then we will certainly post about it as soon as possible and look for community developers who want to take part in it on a commission basis.

Morik
September 16th, 2015, 16:08
Awesome! Thanks guys :D