PDA

View Full Version : Moving purchased content between non-Steam and Steam versions of FG

DMJBone
September 16th, 2015, 05:01
Just curious - if I purchase a content pack like Out of the Abyss from this site - will that content be available to my FG license through Steam on a Mac?
I'm thinking about a scenario where I prepare my game on my Mac - via Steam - but host and run the actual game session on my PC. Is this possible?
Would I need to manually move files from the Mac to the PC? If so, how?
Thanks!

damned
September 16th, 2015, 11:41
In your settings - on both Mac and PC - set it to check Steam for DLC and add your forum username and pass from here so it can check the FG store. It ill download the content to both.

Trenloe
September 16th, 2015, 13:04
I'm thinking about a scenario where I prepare my game on my Mac - via Steam - but host and run the actual game session on my PC. Is this possible?
Steam is just a wrapper for the normal Fantasy Grounds application. There is none of your data stored on Steam, that is all stored on your local hard drive. If you do preparation on your Mac you'll need to transfer the campaign data to the PC when you run. Open Fantasy Grounds and on the first screen click the folder button in the top right - this is the FG Application Data directory, I'll refer to this as <FG App Data> below.

Then, on the Mac, go to <FG App Data>\campaigns and copy the directory with the name of your campaign. Do the reverse on the PC - i.e. paste the campaign directory. You'll probably need to use a USB stick or temporarily put the campaign directory on a cloud synch service. DO NOT point a cloud synch service at <FG App Data> on either the Mac or the PC - this contains live data that FG is constantly changing when FG is running and there have been issues of FG campaign data getting corrupted if a sync service is pointed at the <FG App Data> directory.

Note: Don't buy any DLC/Add-ons from Steam that you plan to use on the Mac, even if you use the Steam wrapped version on the Mac. There is an issue where the Mac version cannot download Steam DLC/Add-ons. Purchase your extras from the Fantasy Grounds web store and put your FG username and password in the Update section of the Settings window. This will allow you to download and update add-ons both on the Mac and on the PC. It's fine buying the base Fantasy Grounds application on Steam, just don't buy DLC from Steam if you intend to use the DLC on a Mac.

DMJBone
September 17th, 2015, 05:44
Awesome! Thanks so much for the quick and informative replies guys. Really appreciate it.

ddavison
September 17th, 2015, 15:31
In your settings - on both Mac and PC - set it to check Steam for DLC and add your forum username and pass from here so it can check the FG store. It ill download the content to both.

Actually, that is not correct. The mac wrapper on Steam can't contact the Steam dll libraries to verify purchases; however, it can contact our server just like the PC version using your username and password entered into your settings. We have all the DLC on Steam flagged as Windows only, but Steam doesn't prevent you from buying it on a Mac still (unfortunately.) If you do inadvertently pick up a copy of some DLC on Steam that you want to use on your Mac, you'll need to send a copy of your Steam receipt (or some other proof of ownership) and then send it to [email protected] along with your username from the forums here. I can then link it with your order just as if you had bought it directly from our website and ti will download and install for you on Mac or PC. You will need to have the box unchecked for "Check Steam for DLC" on your Mac for it to work.

damned
September 17th, 2015, 15:44
...if I purchase a content pack like Out of the Abyss from this site - will that content be available to my FG license through Steam on a Mac? ...

Actually, that is not correct. The mac wrapper on Steam can't contact the Steam dll libraries to verify purchases; however, it can contact our server just like the PC version using your username and password entered into your settings. We have all the DLC on Steam flagged as Windows only, but Steam doesn't prevent you from buying it on a Mac still (unfortunately.)

In the original post DMJBone says he is buying from FG Store but using on a Mac and a PC with a Steam License.

Trenloe
September 17th, 2015, 15:54
In the original post DMJBone says he is buying from FG Store but using on a Mac and a PC with a Steam License.
Doug is referring to you saying "In your settings - on both Mac and PC - set it to check Steam for DLC and add your forum username and pass from here so it can check the FG store. It ill download the content to both." You were saying that on a Mac installation you should set Steam to check for DLC. This is what is incorrect. Doug was pointing that out, saying don't set your FG installation on Mac to check for Steam DLC.

ddavison
September 17th, 2015, 16:29
I might have been a bit longwinded, but Trenloe hit on it. Do not check the box for "Check Steam for DLC" on your mac or the update will fail when it is unable to contact Steam.

DMJBone
September 23rd, 2015, 07:41
Just wanted to say it's worked out great. Thanks again damned and Trenloe.
And thanks Doug for clarifying.