PDA

View Full Version : Having Trouble with #zl; Links

jajen2003
September 15th, 2015, 20:26
Hey all,

So I'm parsing the Elemental Evil Player's Guide. I'm about 90% of there way there. I have all my .txt files set up and the module is loading. Problem is, I'm having weird issues with my #zl; links.

The Svirfneblin Magic feat for Deep Gnomes has a few spells that it references in the written copy. Using the following code, I seem to be getting these links to reference the DD PHB Deluxe Module working. This allows the feat to load from the library and I can see the feat and a quick link to the spell, from the DD PHB Deluxe mod.

#zls;
#zal;spell;nondetection;<i>Nondetection</i>
#zle;

But, when I attempt to link to the Svirfneblin Magic feat from the races.txt file, using the following code, I get nothing. Feats, Spells, and Races all show up in my library. And any #zal; tags I add, seem to be working fine. But none of my #zl; tags are working at all.

#zls;
#zl;feat;Svirfneblin Magic
#zle;

So I know the "spell" link is working, as it is reference a completely different module. But the #zl; command, which references it's own module, isn't working.
Update to this previous thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22308-zl-tag-for-PAR5E-(5E)

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Jake(DM)

jajen2003
September 15th, 2015, 20:32
Here are some screenshots of my code and my FG interface so you can see what I'm talking about.

Images of the Feat and how it looks in Fantasy Grounds (links external module-spell work correctly)

Images of the Race and how it looks in Fantasy Grounds (link to internal module-feat doesn't work)

Hope this helps someone help me pin this down.

Thanks

Jake(DM)

Trenloe
September 15th, 2015, 20:33
I'm moving this to the thread where you have already posted for this issue.

Please don't post multiple posts in different threads to do with the same issue - it causes confusing, wastes people's time and doesn't assist in getting you a clear answer. Thanks.

jajen2003
September 15th, 2015, 20:34
**mods please delete post** thanks

Trenloe
September 15th, 2015, 20:41
That other thread is more than a year old and Zeus never replied. Stands to reason that a new thread is warranted. Thanks.
In that case just open a new thread. Rather than necroing another thread and then immediately starting a new thread.

Please keep specific questions to individual thread. Posting the same issue across multiple threads can waste community members time. If you *have* to post in multiple threads then please indicate that you have posted elsewhere too and provide a link to the main thread for that.

Sorry, this might seem anal, but I have seen far too many times where community members are wasting their time replying to one thread asking for information to help the poster when that information (and more) has been provided in another thread. You did exactly that here - posted a brief description of your issue in an old thread, then starting a completely new thread about the same issue. It would be too easy for community members to start looking into your issue on the original thread without knowing that you had posted more info elsewhere.

Troubleshooting an issue can take a lot of time for the helpful community members assisting you, please make it easy for them by keeping the information in a single thread or, if you must post in other threads, link to the main thread where you provide more information.

Thanks.

jajen2003
September 15th, 2015, 20:46
**mods please delete post** thanks

Trenloe
September 15th, 2015, 20:54
This could've all been avoided if you just left it alone in the first place.
Please re-read post #14 above, as I think you've completely missed my point.

Posting here, then opening a new thread and not posting a link to that thread here means that you could be wasting community members time with them looking at an issue which has information in two different threads and not getting the full picture. This has happened to me a few times and it's really annoying.

You're asking community members to spend their time helping you and working on your issues. Please do them the courtesy of making it easy for them to do that and keeping information in one place - and, if you *have* to post in multiple threads, provide links in those threads to a central thread. It's not much to ask... Thanks.

Zacchaeus
September 15th, 2015, 21:15
According to the manual you need a ';' after Svirfneblin Magic.

jajen2003
September 15th, 2015, 21:50
According to the manual you need a ';' after Svirfneblin Magic.

Well, according to the "manual" a bunch of things are needed.

In my latest experiment, I thought that maybe because I'm linking from races.txt to feats.txt, it might be a problem.

So, I linked to from races.txt to a Fireball spell from the PHB Deluxe mod. The fireball link worked, but the feat link did not work. see screenshots of code and FG interface.

Code
There is no #zls; or #zle; needed anymore.

FG Interface reflecting the code from above

From my experience with troubleshooting, this put the culprit on PAR5E itself. There is something wrong internally with the whatever it's doing.

Dr. Z, the ball is in your court, sir.

Best,
Jake(DM)

jajen2003
September 15th, 2015, 21:58
Here's a look at the code from my feats.txt file and the results they produce in FG.

Code

FG Interface reflecting code from above

I hope this helps. I know there are a bunch of us looking to figure this out and get back to making modules.

Thanks,
Jake(DM)

jajen2003
September 15th, 2015, 22:10
I can confirm that it's specifically something wrong with PAR5E as it relates to linking Feats.

I linked feats.txt to races.txt via a #zl; link to Genasi. See code and FG interface below.

Code

FG Interface

This confirms errors with PAR5E itself. It is not interpreting the #zl;feat;{name} command properly.

I tried also to link an internal spell from spells.txt from races.txt and it worked. So it is specifically feats that is having the issue. Please check code and interface below.

Code

FG Interface

Summary
—I can link from internal races.txt to internal spells.txt via a #zl; command.
—I can link from internal races.txt to external PHB Deluxe mod via a #zal; command
—I can link from internal feats.txt to internal spells.txt via a #zl; command
—I can link from internal feats.txt to external PHB Deluxe mod via #zal; command
—***I cannot link from internal races.txt to internal feats.txt via a #zl; command***

Thanks,
Jake(DM)

jajen2003
September 15th, 2015, 22:18
So, I'm getting closer.

I figured since it's something to do with PAR5E, maybe Zeus fat fingered something accidentally. So I tried feet, faet, feets, faets, and a few others. I then started combining other syntax words.

I found one that makes the link appear, but the linked window is blank when you open it. See code and FG interface screen shots below.

Code

FG Interface

Close. But that only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Still looking that the problem is on Zeus' end with PAR5E. I'll keep figiggetting with it until it works or I smash my computer.

Thanks,
Jake(DM)

jajen2003
September 15th, 2015, 22:27
Here's a list of what doesn't work:

#zl;feat;{name} — According to the documentation, this is supposed to work. Sadly it doesn't
#zl;faet;{name} — Nothing
#zl;feet; {name} — Nothing
#zl;faets;{name} — Nothing
#zl;feets;(name) — Nothing
#zl;referencefeat;{name} — Nothing
#zl;feat_feature;{name} — The link shows up, but when you click on the link, the window is completely blank.
#zal;feat;{name} — Nothing. I didn't think it would, just seeing what sticks.
#zl;racialfeat;{name} — Nothing.
#zl;referencefeat_feature;{name} — The link shows up, but the new window is blank. I'm seeing a pattern here.
#zl;feature_feat;{name} — Nothing.
#zl;f eat;{name} — Nothing. The space was intentional.
#zl;grst;{name} — Nothing. Looking for fat fingered mistakes now.
#zl;fest;{name} — Nothing.
#zl;feat;;{name} — Nothing. The extra ; was intentional.
#zl;feaf;{name} — Nothing.
#zl;feas;{name} — Nothing.
#zl; feat;{name} — Nothing. The space before "feat" was intentional.
#zl;fear;{name} — Nothing.
#zl;feat:{name} — Broke the parse; wouldn't export.
#zl;FEAT;{name} — Nothing. Just in case capitalization had something to do with it.
#zl;faat;{name} — Nothing.

I'll keep adding to the list as I go.

Thanks,
Jake

Zacchaeus
September 15th, 2015, 22:30
Reading the other post (the one that is a year old) it does seem as though Zeus was saying that there was something erroneous going on. It's very possible that this was never fixed and due to a) Par5e no longer being supported and b) Zeus's extended recent absence may well never be fixed. You may be stuck I'm afraid.

jajen2003
September 15th, 2015, 22:48
Reading the other post (the one that is a year old) it does seem as though Zeus was saying that there was something erroneous going on. It's very possible that this was never fixed and due to a) Par5e no longer being supported and b) Zeus's extended recent absence may well never be fixed. You may be stuck I'm afraid.

Oh? I was unaware that PAR5E was no longer supported. Do you have a link to a thread for that?

Zeus' extended absence? Hmmm...

Sounds like more of a reason now than ever to just provide that functionality from within FG, like this post suggests https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26002-Any-plans-on-increasing-the-Campaign-Creation-functionality-inside-of-FG-itself

This is why I hate community made content. There's no responsibility or accountability. If SmiteWorks makes it, then they have paying customers to account to. If Joe Billy Bob makes it, then he can stop whenever he wants.

*le sigh*

But I bet the $2.99 Elemental Evil Player's Companion has all the links that work. The old bait-and-switch. :(

"Yeah, alright, I'll see you guys there!" (https://youtu.be/kmLmt_0XDb0)

Thanks anyway,

Jake(DM)

jajen2003
September 15th, 2015, 22:56
Why buy mods, from the same guys who make PAR5E, when they can't even make PAR5E work properly and their mods are all screwed up?

Errors out the wahzoo!

The mods reference page numbers (because they copy and paste right from the PDF), chat frames that don't have all the content that matches the printed material, no QA checks before they are released. I feel dooped.

I'll be sending correspondence to WotC CS regarding this.

Thanks for the help anyway. :D

Jake(DM)

jajen2003
September 15th, 2015, 23:09
In the meantime, since it doesn't look like help is coming, I came up with a fairly decent workaround for not being able to link directly to the feats.txt pages of a module.

Here is a screenshot of the code I used:

Copy and Pastable Code:
#h;Optional Feat
#bp;Svirfneblin Magic
#ip;Prerequisite: Gnome (deep gnome)
You have inherited the innate spellcasting ability of your ancestors. This ability allows you to cast <i>nondetection</i> on yourself at will, without needing a material component. You can also cast each of the following spells once with this ability: <i>blindness/deafness</i>, <i>blur</i>, and <i>disguise self</i>. You regain the ability to cast these spells when you finish a long rest.
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells, and you cast them at their lowest possible levels.
#zal;spell;blindness/deafness;<i>Blindness/Deafness</i>
#zal;spell;blur;<i>Blur</i>
#zal;spell;disguise self;<i>Disguise Self</i>

And what it looks like in the Library in FG:

And of course, the Feat is still in there as well.

Here is the copy and paste code for that:
##;Svirfneblin Magic
Prerequisite: Gnome (deep gnome)
You have inherited the innate spellcasting ability of your ancestors. This ability allows you to cast <i>nondetection</i> on yourself at will, without needing a material component. You can also cast each of the following spells once with this ability: <i>blindness/deafness</i>, <i>blur</i>, and <i>disguise self</i>. You regain the ability to cast these spells when you finish a long rest.
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells, and you cast them at their lowest possible levels.
#zal;spell;blindness/deafness;<i>Blindness/Deafness</i>
#zal;spell;blur;<i>Blur</i>
#zal;spell;disguise self;<i>Disguise Self</i>

*Note: In order for these bits of code to work, you have to have the DD PHB Deluxe Core Class Pack module installed and active in your instance of FG.

For those of you who are still having trouble with this, I hope this helps. Sorry we couldn't get a proper fix.

Best,
Jake(DM)

Zeus
October 18th, 2015, 16:15
My apologies for being absent for so long. I'll take a look at the public version of PAR5E to figure out why Feats can't be linked to. I'll post up a fix this week.

centerNegative
October 27th, 2015, 22:42
I'm going to go ahead and bump this issue with my post here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e&p=236458&viewfull=1#post236458). I thought I'd done a thorough search of the forums but this thread didn't come up. I've had quite a few issues with various #zl link lists and would appreciate a speedy resolution, whether it's an update to Par5e or instructions on how to manually add the correct links to the XML, because I tried that as well and still couldn't get the problem links to work.

damned
October 27th, 2015, 22:50
Im looking to test some zl links over the weekend. will post how I get on here.