PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something?

Talith666
September 15th, 2015, 17:00
So, after a long absence, I've come back to FG, mainly because I can see the DnD modules have been added and that should make things easier.

Not so, it would appear.

Yeah, all the info is there... but I could have copied and pasted the info from the books myself If I had been so inclined.

The biggest problem I had with FG was the syntax and mechanics for actions... and none of those seem to be sorted. It's cost me $120 and I'm still sitting here trying to work out how to add an action/effect/whatever for... let's say, Deflect Missile, for example. If hit by a ranged weapon, as a reaction the damage is reduced by 1d10+DEX+Level, and if it drops to 0, missile is caught and can immediately be thrown.

For the price, I really expected all these abilities to be already up and running, not just a description added to the CS. I can read the description in the book... I need to know how to translate that information into mechanics that can be used in FG, and I'm disappointed and kind of annoyed to find that hasn't been done.

Or, as I say, am I missing something?

Trenloe
September 15th, 2015, 17:06
As the D&D 5E RPG is constantly evolving, it's impossible to cover every single aspect of the various nuances of certain powers. Especially edge cases (i.e. uncommon or don't follow the usual format of other powers) like Deflect Missile. This specific power is discussed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24411-What-is-Best-Way-to-Set-Up-Monk-s-Deflect-Missiles

Fantasy Grounds attempts to cover approximately 80% of the functionality with automation. As I say above, it's impossible to cover every single aspect of the system with automation, so there are going to be some cases where automation isn't automatically applied, or simply can't be 100% covered by the ruleset and some manual intervention will be needed.

BlueDrake
September 15th, 2015, 17:23
I ran the entire Tyranny of Dragons campaign before any of the official modules were available and from my personal experience, the time saved by purchasing the modules more than compensates for their cost.

Back in the day I played pen and paper D&D and that had exactly zero automation. FG is a godsend. My group is able to focus more on playing and less on bookkeeping. That said I don't think the system will ever be able to automate 100% of the rules. There are too many odd ball rules that offer exceptions. Truthfully I’m amazed at the level it does automate, and there have been some things I didn’t think it could automate that it can with some clever use of effects.

I think if you give it some time you will come to appreciate the platform. There is a high learning curve though that you need to get past. The forums are a great place to learn.

Zacchaeus
September 15th, 2015, 18:30
As the D&D 5E RPG is constantly evolving, it's impossible to cover every single aspect of the various nuances of certain powers. Especially edge cases (i.e. uncommon or don't follow the usual format of other powers) like Deflect Missile. This specific power is discussed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24411-What-is-Best-Way-to-Set-Up-Monk-s-Deflect-Missiles

One thing to note; since that post the minimum damage 'problem' has been resolved. Unfortunately if there was a critical hit then the deflect missiles effect reduces the damage by 1d10 against each of the rolls (i.e. it reduces damage by 2d10 rather than 1d10), so a bit of manual maths will be required if the hit was a critical.

Talith666
September 15th, 2015, 19:08
Fantasy Grounds attempts to cover approximately 80% of the functionality with automation.

Really? Cos I have created 5 characters and it appears not one of their special abilities has been converted for automation.

There isn't even a 'Sneak Attack' for Rogues!

I've been automating rolls, fights, abilities, etc,using an excel spreadsheet. I've spent months on it, and I expect it covers about 80% of the abilities automatically, using matrices, if statements, etc. I decided to get the modules for a 'nicer UI' and battle-maps... yeah, wasted all that time working out my own building my automated spreadsheet (which even allows the players to roll their own dice and I plug in the numbers, and it automates from that point), but, what the heck... FG will be fully automated, right?

No... anything that isn't generic is not in there. Not one thing. Yes, the description is there... it automatically adds 'Sneak Attack' to the Features section of the Abilities tab... big deal! Now I have to work out how to add a sneak attack...which I did! That was an easy one. In fact,as it was so easy, why isn't it already part of the PHB I just spent $50 on??

The extent of the automation in this product is terrible... what we have here is basically just par5ed info, which again, I could have done myself, saved myself $120 and still had to work out all the actions. It doesn't even seem to differentiate between Actions and Bonus Actions, rather a serious distinction in 5e.

No doubt I will still get the DMG... par5ing is boring as hell, but for the price,this isn't good at all...

midas
September 15th, 2015, 19:25
We did character creation for Out of the Abyss on Sunday and Sneak Attack added fine when dragged to the character sheet. There was only a change we had to make to the effect (I think setting it to SELF) and then it worked fine, though you had to drop the effect on yourself when you were using the sneak attack.

I believe in the case of Sneak Attack at least the automation has to do with the variables involved in how it applies (and when it drops). However having said that I've found very few situations where drag-drop functionality failed. Some of them are bugs that are easily spotted and overcome (Wood Elf movement not automatically updating base speed to 35 for example) but anything else has (as has been mentioned already) abilities that rely on too many variables to effectively automate with software logic. Worst case scenario things are done and tracked the same way they would on the tabletop.

I can agree with what has been stated numerous times by numerous people that there is a learning curve involved (particularly with effects), but once that's overcome there's very little that can't be done. I know this isn't comforting to hear (as you want it to work a certain way out of the box, and you can't be faulted for that), but FG really is the best virtual tabletop option I've seen. This is particularly evident with systems that have a LOT of tracking to do (such as 4e games). After playing a 4e game in FG I really don't think I could do it any other way (including at the table, heh). Being able to CTRL+click a number of enemies to target with a spell, cast the spell and have the system automatically roll all their saving throws, taking damage (or not) as appropriate, that just blew my mind. I probably sat there for 30 minutes just running an encounter by myself with a few heroes and a green dragon just so I could see the saves vs the acid breath and the dragon sometimes gaining it back on its turn and sometimes not, heh.

Zacchaeus
September 15th, 2015, 21:00
It may be the case that you are expecting that simple dragging and dropping a class into the character sheet will automatically fill in everything for you. That isn't how it actually works since the character sheet isn't, and isn't meant to be, a fully fledged character creation tool. Some things are automated in this way, hit points for example, but most things aren't. Another example is if you drag and drop a weapon into the inventory the action tab will populate with the correct to hit and damage rolls (with some exceptions where certain classes can use a different base stat for such things other than the standard one).

For Sneak Attack and other such abilities you should find the ability in the PHB and drag that onto the actions tab of the character sheet. If it is an action which can be parsed by the program then it will be parsed almost all of the time; the rogues sneak attack being one such example. It is perhaps either a case of the documentation not being good enough or there being a lot to learn and you have simply missed such nuances. You will find in time that what Trenloe said is, in fact, accurate. Apart from watching the video tutorials (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Videos) and reading the wiki section on effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects) the best way to learn about the software is to play around with it. Drag and drop things to see what happens, right clicking on things will often bring up context menus. etc.

It's no comfort I know but even after a year of using the software almost on a daily basis I'm still learning things. I know it's frustrating but you will get better at finding out things and you will find that at the end of the day the cost is well worth it; especially if, like me, there is no other way you get to game with your family and friends when they are scattered around the globe.

Also this is a superb community with several very active members and if you don't understand something or if something isn't working for you, post here and you will get very helpful advice in very short order.

Morgentaler
September 15th, 2015, 21:43
Id like to add that while not everything is automated since may the ammount of effects that are in the rule set has grown. And for anything that is not the community is quick to help a brother out.

Sneak attack automatically there? When did this happen? I still created my own a few days ago?

kylania
September 15th, 2015, 21:47
Sneak attack automatically there? When did this happen? I still created my own a few days ago?

He's talking about it automatically adding to the Features list on the character sheet. Something that doesn't happen in other rulesets automatically, so 5E has that going for it. :)

Trenloe
September 15th, 2015, 21:49
You need to drag the sneak attack ability entry to the actions tab. It will create it as base 1d6, so remember to update as you level up.

Morgentaler
September 15th, 2015, 21:54
You need to drag the sneak attack ability entry to the actions tab. It will create it as base 1d6, so remember to update as you level up.

Cool I add a power for my players, then add an effect: Sneak Attack; DMG: 1d6
Self expend on next roll.

Mixed with the remove effect tag extension in case they need to turn it off.
Works great

That said the fact FG can do all these things is still better than what else is available out there.