PDA

View Full Version : Zacchaeus Out of the Abyss Map mod

Zacchaeus
September 15th, 2015, 10:43
For those of you who own this, or are thinking of buying it then you will want more maps, and Zacchaeus' OotA map mod fulfils that need.

This module contains a total of 27 maps, with roughly half of them being for encounters where I felt a map would be useful (or even necessary) and the other half for use with the many potential random encounters. I have wrapped the package up in a module with story entries for each map pointing the DM in the direction of where the map can be used and other (hopefully) helpful information (see screenshot).

Unfortunately the module is far too big to post on the forum so I've put it in dropbox and you can download it here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/8o07f2pogmteap7/Zacchaeus%27%20OotA%20Maps.mod?dl=0).

I attach one of the bigger maps as a sample of the work. All of the maps are at 96dpi, are gridless (with a guide square) and were drawn at a scale of 1 square = 5'.

Once you have downloaded the module place it in your User/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds/modules folder. Next time you load FG you will find the module in your library ready for use with OotA. Of course the module can also be used, as is, with any 5e campaign (although the story text won't make much sense). If you want to use the maps without the story text download the mod and then right click on it. Choose 'Rename' from the drop down menu. Now change the extension .mod to .zip. You can now unzip the newly renamed file and you will find all of the maps in the folder you unzipped it too. You can then drag any of the maps into any FG campaign.

EDIT: Following some excellent advice from the inestimable Trenloe I have managed to reduce the size of these maps by a very significant amount. The mod has now shrunk from 30mb to just a tad over 14Mb. This will mean that some of the bigger maps will share much more quickly and I would strongly advise that you download the mod again if you have already done so. (If you haven't what are you waiting for?) There is absolutely no reduction in quality in any of the maps following this magical transformation.

Goltron
September 15th, 2015, 12:30
Thanks alot mate, these will come in handy for this adventure and many more, i'm sure. ;)

Wonderbringer
September 15th, 2015, 15:05
Indeed, excellent job Zacchaeus.

CrawlingChaox
September 15th, 2015, 15:57
This is some excellent work! Thank you so much, Zacch.

Thegroo
September 15th, 2015, 18:26
Thank you so much

Wazoodust
September 15th, 2015, 19:38
Grabbed them anyhow, I can never have enough maps handy, as I've yet to figure out a program and imaged I'm comfortable with.
Thanks

epithet
September 16th, 2015, 16:39
Thanks Zac, that's some good work and it will definitely come in handy when I run the adventure.

Nyghtmare
September 16th, 2015, 17:57
Downloading them even as I am typing here.

Thank you so much for the maps!! :)

demonsbane
September 18th, 2015, 17:00
Thank you for your effort, Zacchaeus.

David32780
September 18th, 2015, 17:24
Thanks so much Zacchaeus, A+

Zacchaeus
September 18th, 2015, 17:53
You are welcome chaps, and thank you for your feedback.

JustinFreitas
September 27th, 2015, 07:30
Awesome contribution to the community!! Thanks so much! Starting my OotA this week. :) -Justin

Tysmiha
October 17th, 2015, 04:02
Thanks for the maps, Zacchaeus! Appreciate your work!

Dustin
October 21st, 2015, 15:13
these maps are fantastic! thanks alot made our campaign that much better!!

Do you have a "general" list of what maps are played first through last (using your map names?)

IE
1. The maze
2. Keel boat
3. Underdark caves

would be a great reference guide.

Did i say these maps were fantastic yet?

Zacchaeus
October 21st, 2015, 15:18
Dustin,

No the maps aren't presented in any particular order but it should be fairly obvious from the names and from the part of the module you are on which maps are relevant to which section. Also I take it you downloaded the module and read the story text; that should tell you generally and often specifically where the map should (or could) be used.

HPDDJ
November 6th, 2015, 00:43
Registered on the forum just to say thank you, Zacchaeus!

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2015, 09:11
Registered on the forum just to say thank you, Zacchaeus!

Hey HPDDJ, welcome to the forums and to the community and thank you for the feedback.

DMHERETIC
November 12th, 2015, 22:29
I just tried to download and it opens up media player. is there anywhere else to download these maps from?

Trenloe
November 12th, 2015, 22:47
I just tried to download and it opens up media player. is there anywhere else to download these maps from?
Don't try to open the download - some desktops see the FG module file (.mod) as an audio file. Just put the .mod file in the <FG App Data>\modules directory and then activate the module in your 5E campaign.

Zacchaeus
November 13th, 2015, 09:34

Indeed, all my mods used to show up as mp3 files as well. To fix this right click on one of the modules in your modules folder and slecet 'open with' from the drop down menu and then 'choose another app' and navigate to FantasyGrounds.exe

Also, Trenloe isn't it about time you stickied some more of the maps in this forum to your post above :)

Trenloe
November 13th, 2015, 13:57
To fix this right click on one of the modules in your modules folder and slecet 'open with' from the drop down menu and then 'choose another app' and navigate to FantasyGrounds.exe
You don't need to do this. Trying to open a FG module by double-clicking on the .MOD file and opening FantasyGrounds.exe will give you an error. Don't double-click on the .MOD file at all, just load up your campaign and activate the module through the library.

DMHERETIC
November 13th, 2015, 15:53
Thanks That worked!!!

GBE300
January 29th, 2016, 11:57
Thanks for this great mod Zacchaeus!

yukifeifate
February 11th, 2016, 10:27
Thanks a lot it's pure gold

BubbaGrim
February 21st, 2016, 03:15
A great idea putting a reference square in the corner of the map. That's the kind of thing that should be in a "hints and tips" post (if it isn't already)

Zacchaeus
February 21st, 2016, 09:10
A great idea putting a reference square in the corner of the map. That's the kind of thing that should be in a "hints and tips" post (if it isn't already)

It's not in any hints and tips but most people who do maps for FG do it this way. It's a sort of acquired thing.

LordEntrails
February 24th, 2016, 01:20
It's not in any hints and tips but most people who do maps for FG do it this way. It's a sort of acquired thing.
Acquired, like an STD...

Zacchaeus
February 24th, 2016, 10:25
Acquired, like an STD...

Well, maybe not quite like that. More like osmosis :)

Axeking
February 24th, 2016, 17:03
You don't need to do this. Trying to open a FG module by double-clicking on the .MOD file and opening FantasyGrounds.exe will give you an error. Don't double-click on the .MOD file at all, just load up your campaign and activate the module through the library.

What Zacchaeus was suggesting this for was to change the icon shown in windows explorer. Trenloe is correct in that you shouldn't open mods by double clicking, while changing the default app for a file type as Zacchaeus suggested will change the icon used when you look in the folder and see .mod files. :-)

drakonin
March 1st, 2016, 04:25
MORE MAPS! Awesome work!

damned
March 1st, 2016, 05:19
What Zacchaeus was suggesting this for was to change the icon shown in windows explorer. Trenloe is correct in that you shouldn't open mods by double clicking, while changing the default app for a file type as Zacchaeus suggested will change the icon used when you look in the folder and see .mod files. :-)

Most .mod files on most computers are Movie files.

The-Zen-Gamer
March 16th, 2016, 21:51
You beautiful bastard. These are a gift from Mystra herself!! You are amazing!

Zacchaeus
March 16th, 2016, 21:55
You beautiful bastard. These are a gift from Mystra herself!! You are amazing!

Well, thank you! And welcome to Fantasy Grounds and to the Community.

static
April 11th, 2016, 02:18
I'm new here, but where's the download link?

LordEntrails
April 11th, 2016, 07:01
I'm new here, but where's the download link?
Third paragraph of the first post in this thread has a link on the last word "here".
In this case its to a dropbox since the file size is so large.

static
April 11th, 2016, 18:05
Sorry. Don't know how I missed that, but thank you.

ShadoWWW
April 13th, 2016, 20:16
Thanks!

Koreapsu
April 23rd, 2016, 01:03
I wish I'd known about this mod when I started OotA!

derpeus00
May 3rd, 2016, 18:05
I have been having trouble downloading the file as when I open it in the dropbox it says the file it corrupted.

Trenloe
May 3rd, 2016, 18:10
I have been having trouble downloading the file as when I open it in the dropbox it says the file it corrupted.
Don't open the .mod file, download the file and place it in your <FG App Data>\modules directory, then activate the module within a FG campaign.

Davian Goliath
May 13th, 2016, 16:17
Wow...this is a huge help. Was watching Tabletopping and was agonizing over having to make all those maps myself.

Thanks indeed!

Mixylplyx
May 18th, 2016, 02:37
Just found this, thanks!

Slrk
May 23rd, 2016, 12:47
For those of you who own this, or are thinking of buying it then you will want more maps, and Zacchaeus' OotA map mod fulfils that need.

This module contains a total of 27 maps, with roughly half of them being for encounters where I felt a map would be useful (or even necessary) and the other half for use with the many potential random encounters. I have wrapped the package up in a module with story entries for each map pointing the DM in the direction of where the map can be used and other (hopefully) helpful information (see screenshot).

Unfortunately the module is far too big to post on the forum so I've put it in dropbox and you can download it here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/8o07f2pogmteap7/Zacchaeus%27%20OotA%20Maps.mod?dl=0).

I attach one of the bigger maps as a sample of the work. All of the maps are at 96dpi, are gridless (with a guide square) and were drawn at a scale of 1 square = 5'.

Once you have downloaded the module place it in your User/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds/modules folder. Next time you load FG you will find the module in your library ready for use with OotA. Of course the module can also be used, as is, with any 5e campaign (although the story text won't make much sense). If you want to use the maps without the story text download the mod and then right click on it. Choose 'Rename' from the drop down menu. Now change the extension .mod to .zip. You can now unzip the newly renamed file and you will find all of the maps in the folder you unzipped it too. You can then drag any of the maps into any FG campaign.

EDIT: Following some excellent advice from the inestimable Trenloe I have managed to reduce the size of these maps by a very significant amount. The mod has now shrunk from 30mb to just a tad over 14Mb. This will mean that some of the bigger maps will share much more quickly and I would strongly advise that you download the mod again if you have already done so. (If you haven't what are you waiting for?) There is absolutely no reduction in quality in any of the maps following this magical transformation.

Any way you can post a pdf form?

Zacchaeus
May 23rd, 2016, 12:53
Hi Sirk welcome to FG and to the community.

I have no idea how to put it into a pdf :)

damned
May 23rd, 2016, 13:07
Slrk just use your favourite zip/unzip tool to open the mod and have a peek inside.

Voxpopuli
June 28th, 2016, 01:34
Awesome! Thank you for the hard work

Jalella
September 12th, 2016, 13:47
Great! I'm still looking for a mapping tool by myself. Which did you use for those maps? Fractal Mapper? I have it but I don't know how to get these deep shadows as your maps shows.
Thanks!

Zacchaeus
September 12th, 2016, 15:11
Welcome Jalella to FG and to the community.

I use Campaign Cartographer. The shadows are all done with effects from the sheets layer.

Jalella
September 12th, 2016, 15:14
Ah, ok. I tried CC once, but it takes a lot of time to get used to it. So I hoped you were using a different mapper :-)
Thanks for the quick reply!

Zacchaeus
September 12th, 2016, 15:24
You might find some useful information in this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20879-Map-Making-Software-summary).

Ferrin
September 12th, 2016, 20:38
Excellent work on these maps, and thank you for sharing them.

Teufelhunde87
October 18th, 2016, 22:03
I need to figure CC3+ out. Great maps! Thanks for you efforts!

ILUVATAR77
August 26th, 2017, 02:12
absolutely fantastic maps!!
i´m running OOtA right now, and these maps are bringing new life to my campaign. thanks so much!!

Kryc
December 9th, 2017, 00:45
Very kind of you to share your work. Saved me a ton of time/money!

jerehall
January 30th, 2018, 02:36

So apparently I am not very smart because I can't seem to find the proper folder to put these maps into. . .not sure if using Fantasy Grounds via steam makes a difference but the User/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds/modules path doesn't exist on my machine.

jerehall
January 30th, 2018, 02:58
Ah, I wasn't very smart but I figured it out. :)

Trenloe
January 30th, 2018, 15:06
Ah, I wasn't very smart but I figured it out. :)

Excellent! :)

And welcome to the FG forums.

bnotobo
March 25th, 2018, 20:45
Thank you for the maps. When adding a grid, what size did people make the squares?

Trenloe
March 25th, 2018, 21:02
Thank you for the maps. When adding a grid, what size did people make the squares?
From the Introduction story entry that comes with the modules: "All of them are gridless but have a guide square (usually) in the top right hand corner, for the purposes of setting your FG grid. The maps are all drawn assuming a scale of one square = 5' on a side, so a grid of 50px square should be your aim."

Metalocalypse
January 5th, 2019, 13:51
Hi
Sorry for necroing this post but i was wondering if there was a way to make this work with the pathfinder ruleset?
it works just fine with 5E but it doesn't show up in the modules list in pathfinder. Really love the maps so hope there is a way.

damned
January 5th, 2019, 13:53
welcome Metalocalypse

Try the Universal Modules Extension

Metalocalypse
January 5th, 2019, 14:26
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately it fails when opening a map.
truly a shame

Zacchaeus
January 5th, 2019, 14:51
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately it fails when opening a map.
truly a shame

I've reconfigured the module so that it will now open in an Core based ruleset. You can download the module again from the link in the first post. I've tested it and it now opens in PFRPG campaigns. Let me know if you have any issues.

Metalocalypse
January 5th, 2019, 20:25
Dude that's amazing. It works perfectly now.
Thanks so much for the help

bmos
December 29th, 2019, 16:39
What an awesome set of maps, thanks! I'm even more excited for this campaign now!

SHIV
August 18th, 2020, 04:01
First time poster and just learning FGU. Kids want to do OotA so these are helpful. Thank you!

Zacchaeus
August 18th, 2020, 08:47
Welcome to FG SHIV.

WinterSoldier7
May 27th, 2022, 13:23
Thank you!