PDA

View Full Version : Question about modules and subscriptions.

acid_rain
September 15th, 2015, 00:11
I had a basic question about FG and modules. Some friends and I decided to try out FG, and I bought a subscription for FG (Ultimate license subscription). We would like to purchase the $50 D&D Complete Core Class Pack, but what happens to that purchase if I later cancel the subscription? How can I reapply the purchase if later I choose to purchase the lifetime Ultimate version of FG? In addition to that question, will everyone need to buy this to use it if I'm using the Ultimate edition of FG as well?

Trenloe
September 15th, 2015, 00:17
The purchase of any add ons is separate to the subscription. They will be linked to either your website ID for store purchases on this site, or your Steam ID if you purchase from Steam (if you run on a Mac, don't purchase DLC from Steam, just from the website store here).

So, purchases of add ons stay with you and you'll be able to use the products with a subscription or a permanent licence.

The GM shares all enabled add ons with players when they connect to the GM for the game. As long as they're connected to you there's no need for the players to buy anything, not even a licence if you have ultimate.

acid_rain
September 15th, 2015, 00:18
Thanks for the super-quick response! That's exactly what I was looking for!

RedNinja
September 22nd, 2015, 12:01
Hey Id like to add on this question. Is there any plans in the foreseeable future to have like an ultimate ultimate license or subscription where you have access to everything? Me and some friends were looking into this as we are currently working a pen and paper campaign and would like to move it over to VTT but all the modules and class packs its insane. we also want to maybe try the other games without commitment. and if we go through steam and buy everything its like $1.4k and we dont have that money. Id totally be willing to pay $20 a month for a ultimate license that would grant me access to everything. not only to play our game but to pick up savage world and give that a try.

damned
September 22nd, 2015, 12:11
Hey RedNinja I believe that SW have looked at offering a monthly sub on DLC but I think they were looking at paying a sub for each item... anyway - NO ONE has $1400 worth of DLC. It would take you a seriously, seriously long time to play them all. Anyways the best option for you if you want to try 5e is either the $3 Basic Rules which does limit you to 4 classes but gives you a good entry into the game. Otherwise get the Lost Mine of Phandelver which is a great beginners campaign and it includes pregens and the Basic Rules. As Trenloe sais you will keep the DLC in your account once you reactivate your subscription.

RedNinja
September 22nd, 2015, 12:14
well i was thinking of getting an ultimate license but what all modules come with it? like right now were doing a D&D 3.5E Campaign but we want to try savage world and maybe try others to see what we like without making a commitment and be out 30-40 bucks if we dont like it.

Edit: Also like other D&D campaigns we might want to play but if we dont like it back out without spending $35 (E.G. D&D Rage of Demons: Out of the Abyss)

dulux-oz
September 22nd, 2015, 12:45
Hi Red,

The ONLY difference between the Full and Ultimate Licenses is that a GM with the Ultimate License can have his/her Players connect on ANY License, while a GM with a Full License needs his/her Players to connect with either Full or Ultimate Licenses themselves.

If you're looking at try-before-you-buy, why don't you get a 1 month Ultimate subscription ($10) for the group and see how you go. The other thing you can do is join in on a one-shot game as a Player(s) to see how things work, and/or check-out the various Tutorial Vids on the FG Wiki (damned's, Xorn's or my own, for eg).

Just an idea :)

Cheers

damned
September 22nd, 2015, 13:02
well i was thinking of getting an ultimate license but what all modules come with it? like right now were doing a D&D 3.5E Campaign but we want to try savage world and maybe try others to see what we like without making a commitment and be out 30-40 bucks if we dont like it.

Edit: Also like other D&D campaigns we might want to play but if we dont like it back out without spending $35 (E.G. D&D Rage of Demons: Out of the Abyss)

The Ultimate has NO additional modules with it. Ultimate means that you can GM for anyone regardless of whether they have a license or not.

The core 3.5 and Pathfinder stuff is included - they are OGL and able to be shared.

There are additionally included rulesets for D&D4 and D&D 5 and Numenera. These do not come with any source material. 5e has purchasable licensed content. The other 2 do not. You *could* download the 4e content for your own use with a DDI account but that looks like it has stopped working very recently. You can still add your own material.

There are very good value licensed rulesets for Castles&Crusades - $10 for everything you need, Savage Worlds $10, Fate Core $5 and then there are rulesets for Rolemaster, Call of Cthulhu and Mutants and Masterminds.

Then there a re excellent community rulesets which have great character sheets and combat trackers and other great features for rulesets from Warhammer FRP to Star Wars, Trail of Cthulhu to Extinction Event, World of Darkness to GURPs, DCC to Maelstrom etc... these dont include source material but really make playing these systems easy.

RedNinja
September 22nd, 2015, 13:09
Thank you all for the information. Yeah im thinking of getting ultimate and having my friends get the demo so they can play with me. one last question and sorry if its already been answered just really new to the VTT and i want to make sure im getting this right. but if i get the Ultimate and my friends get the demo they can join me. but if i bought Lost Mine of Phandelver as previously stated will they be able to roll new characters and use them in the adventure even if they do not have that adventure? i know the demo has the rule set just making sure they can join in on the fun and have their own character they can keep throughout the adventure without relying on us all buying it.

damned
September 22nd, 2015, 13:13
that is correct.

acid_rain
September 22nd, 2015, 13:55
Thank you all for the information. Yeah im thinking of getting ultimate and having my friends get the demo so they can play with me. one last question and sorry if its already been answered just really new to the VTT and i want to make sure im getting this right. but if i get the Ultimate and my friends get the demo they can join me. but if i bought Lost Mine of Phandelver as previously stated will they be able to roll new characters and use them in the adventure even if they do not have that adventure? i know the demo has the rule set just making sure they can join in on the fun and have their own character they can keep throughout the adventure without relying on us all buying it.

I'm not sure if you caught it or not, but I sent you a PM as well.

Nylanfs
September 22nd, 2015, 14:13
Also note that if you buy the DLC through the webstore you can get a 6/mo payment plan through Paypal for amounts more than $100.

ddavison
September 22nd, 2015, 14:35
I wanted to comment on the idea of a subscription that also included everything (i.e., all modules.) I agree that this would be very welcoming as a customer. The reason why we can't do this is because we actually have 26 or so publishers that we are partnered with and for a wide range of different systems and it would be next to impossible to get all parties to agree on an equitable split. When people buy individual add-ons, we know that the customer wanted that specific content and the owner of that IP gets that full share. We could potentially do it by system or by publisher, but many of these systems also have multiple publishers or multiple products that are all compatible, like the map and token packs or the multiple publishers producting content for 3.5E or Pathfinder.

acid_rain
September 22nd, 2015, 18:14
I wanted to comment on the idea of a subscription that also included everything (i.e., all modules.) I agree that this would be very welcoming as a customer. The reason why we can't do this is because we actually have 26 or so publishers that we are partnered with and for a wide range of different systems and it would be next to impossible to get all parties to agree on an equitable split. When people buy individual add-ons, we know that the customer wanted that specific content and the owner of that IP gets that full share. We could potentially do it by system or by publisher, but many of these systems also have multiple publishers or multiple products that are all compatible, like the map and token packs or the multiple publishers producting content for 3.5E or Pathfinder.

Off topic a bit here, but are you guys hiring?

JohnD
September 22nd, 2015, 18:16
If you're open to non-5E rulesets, your cost of entry is much lower in all likelihood.

Nickademus
September 22nd, 2015, 18:33
Off topic a bit here, but are you guys hiring?

This (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?11156-Want-to-produce-official-FG-products-adventures-rulesets)might have some information. I'm not sure how current it is though.

ddavison
September 22nd, 2015, 20:24
acid_rain, we just might be... soonish.