PDA

View Full Version : What is actually needed to be purchased to run a homebrew game

Polarus
September 12th, 2015, 05:35
I have a campaign setting of my own design for 5E I think would work well, just not sure what pieces are a "must" and what are nice. I could probably manually add the monsters, but are classes a good buy? Do I need the 5E basic rules pack? Just looking for advice.

damned
September 12th, 2015, 06:08
Polarus you can add all your own monsters. You can add your classes but the official classes books do work easier.
I would honestly buy the $3 basic rules to give you a taste of what is in the other packs which are of course much more expensive.
The basic rules gives you the four base classes and over 100 monsters and spells.

dulux-oz
September 12th, 2015, 06:32
To add to damn's excellent advice - you don't need anything but the 5E Ruleset (which comes with Fantasy Grounds)

But the various "add-ons" such as the Basic Rules, etc, do make things easier.

Then you could go one step further and look at some of the various Extensions that are available (from the Wiki for free) - my Locations Extension, as an example, will allow you to organize your campaign on a geographic basis, while the various Token Packs and Maps that Community Members put up will also prove useful.

Cheers

Polarus
September 12th, 2015, 06:56
Excellent, good to know. I have just been watching youtube videos about Fantasy Grounds and reading reviews and it seems really awesome. Just trying to get it working for a reasonable price. I appreciate the advice guys. Any other people, feel free to chime in too.

Mask_of_winter
September 12th, 2015, 07:06
You have everything you "need" with a FG license. The rest depends how much work you're willing to put in vs the $$ you want to put in. Buying the complete core class module will save you many many hours of work. If you have time on your hands but tight budget use the Par5e and make it yourself. If you have little free time but disposable income, buy it. Same with the Monster packs and adventure modules.

Griogre
September 12th, 2015, 07:08
As a DM you want the monster manual if you use normal monsters. Sure you can add monsters manually but if you have the bucks to afford it it will save you tons of data entry - which is never fun. The PH like class stuff depends on whether you allow the classes. The Basic rules module is everything in the free PDF from WotC. Its a great deal at $3 like Damned said as a sample or intro but if you know you are going to get the monster pack and classes pack then everything in the Basic pack is in and more is in those two packs.

Trenloe
September 12th, 2015, 16:22
If you haven't watched them already, the two following videos might help to give you an idea:

1) Shows how to create a PC using the 5E character packs. Without the packs you'll have to enter the PC information manually:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurEMR4JJeU

2) Manually entering a 5E monster. Shows what you'd have to do if the monster isn't in the MM or basic rules pack, or if you don't have those packs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-POluSDHAc

Polarus
September 12th, 2015, 23:28
Thanks for the info guys