PDA

View Full Version : New Player Doc

Falantrius
September 11th, 2015, 08:32
I have an ultimate license and I have some new players who want to get started. Is there a document that outlines what the players need to install and from where to get them started.

I would hate to have to write up my own document - much better to just send them a link to a forum message or something in the WIKI.

dulux-oz
September 11th, 2015, 11:54
Here's the link to the Wiki User Doco page https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/User_Guides.

The links in my sig are to my Tutorial Videos (which will given them everything they need to know to get started).

Short answer: download the demo version of FG from the store or from Steam and install it

Long answer: watch the Vids/read the Wiki page :p

Cheers

damned
September 11th, 2015, 13:31
Short answer: download the demo version of FG from the store or from Steam and install it

Long answer: watch the Vids/read the Wiki page :p

Methinks that Falantrius is rightly pointing out that the doco could be better... that it could do with a players guide...
Of course there are challenges to this - how much do you doco, should this piece of info go here or there, its a brand new feature, it works differently with the new version, what goes in the CoreRPG guide and what goes in the ruleset guide etc etc.
None of which really matters to a new player. A players guide would be good...

dulux-oz
September 11th, 2015, 15:04
Methinks that Falantrius is rightly pointing out that the doco could be better... that it could do with a players guide...
Of course there are challenges to this - how much do you doco, should this piece of info go here or there, its a brand new feature, it works differently with the new version, what goes in the CoreRPG guide and what goes in the ruleset guide etc etc.
None of which really matters to a new player. A players guide would be good...

There is a Player's Guide - mine was installed when I installed FG for the first time - its available on the FG Library page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/library/) - admittedly its a little old but the info is still relevant - AND I found it within 30 seconds after I went to the FAQ (from the home page of the FG site).

Yes, the doco could be improved (we've all be saying that for years) but it is available - and without too much effort - both Official and Community.

The question becomes how much effort are people willing to put in - the doco creators put in a lot of effort, but "you can't make a horse drink" if the horse don't want too.

Should everything be presented up-front? Maybe. Could people have a go and create their own to try to improve things? Some people have. Could people take 30 seconds to read the FAQ? I don't know. Could things be easier to find? Again, I don't know.

But in the meantime there's Trenloe, damned, Moon, Doug, myself and others to point people in the right direction :)

Cheers

Zacchaeus
September 11th, 2015, 15:38
One thing I did notice was that the link to 'Video Tutorials' down the right hand side of the main Fantasy Grounds front page links to 'Downloads' rather than video tutorials.

Before I bought the software I read a lot of the guides via the Steam community and watched a fair number of the videos linked there too. Ultimately however I learned how to operate the software by playing around with it and reading posts (and making a few) on the forums. And I can guarantee that none of my players have ever watched a video or read even a sentence of a guide - the lazy buggers :)

Mask_of_winter
September 11th, 2015, 15:40
Yeah lucky him if he has players that actually want to read something :) hehe

dulux-oz
September 11th, 2015, 15:50
Yeah lucky him if he has players that actually want to read something :) hehe

Yeah, true - RTFM!

Not!

:p

Griogre
September 11th, 2015, 17:52
Maybe we need to do just a step by step of how how to connect to a server for a new player and add it to the FAQ? IE

1) Download and install Fantasy Grounds from Steam or here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/

2) Start Fantasy Grounds

3) If you have a license key for Fantasy Grounds on the Launcher screen

Press the "Settings" button and enter it
Enter your Message Board User Name and Press the "Update" button and enter your message board password
Select the "Check Steam for DLC" if you have bought content from Steam. Install and login the Steam client if you haven't done so already. Note: Steam DLC (other than the base Fantasy Grounds install) won't download on a Mac - if you are running a Mac only purchase additional Fantasy Grounds DLC from the Fantasy Grounds store, not Steam."
If you have purchased any additional Fantasy Grounds content, run an update to install the latest versions of this content.

4) To connect to a GM's server from the Launcher screen

Get either the four word alias or the GM's external IP address from the GM
Click the "Join Game" button
For Username enter your player name and for Host address enter the GM's alias or IP address he gave you
Click the "Start" button and enjoy :)

Zacchaeus
September 11th, 2015, 19:04
That sounds like a jolly good idea Griogre. You could also add step 5) Your DM will have read all the documentation and watched many videos so he will be able to tell you everything else you need to know :)

JohnD
September 11th, 2015, 19:06
That sounds like a jolly good idea Griogre. You could also add step 5) Your DM will have read all the documentation and watched many videos so he will be able to tell you everything else you need to know :)
:ninja:

Trenloe
September 11th, 2015, 23:22
Maybe we need to do just a step by step of how how to connect to a server for a new player and add it to the FAQ? IE

1) Download and install Fantasy Grounds from Steam or here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/

2) Start Fantasy Grounds

Enter your Message Board User Name and Press the "Update" button and enter your message board password
Select the "Check Steam for DLC" if you have bought content from Steam

For Username enter your player name and for Host address enter the GM's alias or IP address he gave you

Good list.

Perhaps amend 3.3 to: "Select the "Check Steam for DLC" if you have bought content from Steam. Install and login the Steam client if you haven't done so already. Note: Steam DLC (other than the base Fantasy Grounds install) won't download on a Mac - if you are running a Mac only purchase additional Fantasy Grounds DLC from the Fantasy Grounds store, not Steam."

Then add a new item: "If you have purchased any additional Fantasy Grounds content, run an update to install the latest versions of this content."

Falantrius
September 21st, 2015, 08:39
Thanks Again Dulux

One more quick question - I'm running a new group - first game - would like it to really show off Fantasy Grounds. Playing Pathfinder - so - are there any good pre-made adventures that have good maps, good play, etc for a starting group of Pathfinder players. Would be a lot of work to do it from scratch - but If I don't find something - that's the plan.

This group plans to meet once a month...so I have time.

Falantrius
September 21st, 2015, 08:43

2) Start Fantasy Grounds

Select the "Check Steam for DLC" if you have bought content from Steam. Install and login the Steam client if you haven't done so already. Note: Steam DLC (other than the base Fantasy Grounds install) won't download on a Mac - if you are running a Mac only purchase additional Fantasy Grounds DLC from the Fantasy Grounds store, not Steam."
If you have purchased any additional Fantasy Grounds content, run an update to install the latest versions of this content.

This is more of what I am looking for - these players barely have a computer that can run fantasy grounds and they don't have the attention span to watch 5-10 videos on how to use it.
Though I did link up all 8 videos for starting players from Dulux - got the comment already from two of them "Its too damn slow - just tell me what I need to do"

Falantrius
September 21st, 2015, 08:50
This is more of what I am looking for - these players barely have a computer that can run fantasy grounds and they don't have the attention span to watch 5-10 videos on how to use it.
Though I did link up all 8 videos for starting players from Dulux - got the comment already from two of them "Its too damn slow - just tell me what I need to do"

Also - shouldn't "TeamSpeak 3" be part of the instructions?

Also before they start a "Pathfinder" game - don't they need to download Data Modules and add them under "Modules" before they can play? I know as a GM I can make them visible but don't they have to have them also?

damned
September 21st, 2015, 08:53
https://www.fg-con.com/information/teamspeak/

dulux-oz
September 21st, 2015, 08:56
got the comment already from two of them "Its too damn slow - just tell me what I need to do"

You can tell them that its paced at that pace so that it's easier to learn - people have to learn to crawl before they can run. 99.9% of the feedback I've gotten is positive: most people appreciate the thougherness of it.

FG is a very powerful, feature rich piece of software - If people aren't willing to put the time in to learn (and its not that much time) then all they are going to do is both miss out on a hell of a lot of what FG can do and frustrate themselves and their gaming group.

But each to their own, as I always say.

And no offense taken or meant :)

Cheers

Trenloe
September 22nd, 2015, 20:44
I know as a GM I can make them visible but don't they have to have them also?
If you "allow" or "force load" player library modules then the players will have access to them in their library when connected to you - no need for them to have the modules installed.

Don't allow or force load adventure modules, just the player library modules.

Nickademus
September 22nd, 2015, 21:31
got the comment already from two of them "Its too damn slow - just tell me what I need to do"

You can tell them that its paced at that pace so that it's easier to learn - people have to learn to crawl before they can run. 99.9% of the feedback I've gotten is positive: most people appreciate the thougherness of it.

The tutorials are great at providing the information, but people learn in different ways. What happened to that idea of a summary of tricks at the beginning/end and in the YouTube comment? That would help people (like me) that learn better from concentrated facts rather than a walkthrough.

dulux-oz
September 23rd, 2015, 02:25
The tutorials are great at providing the information, but people learn in different ways. What happened to that idea of a summary of tricks at the beginning/end and in the YouTube comment? That would help people (like me) that learn better from concentrated facts rather than a walkthrough.

Its on my To Do List, along with everything else people are clamoring for (& unlike SW I don't get paid for this stuff so it gets done as part of my "fun" after family, work, eating, sleeping (sometimes), etc, etc, etc) :)

Nylanfs
September 23rd, 2015, 03:03
But I thought you were a bot now?

dulux-oz
September 23rd, 2015, 03:13
But I thought you were a bot now?

Cyborg, actually - and I still haven't cracked the quantum equations for time manipulation (I also don't know the Haste spell) so I still don't have more than 24 hours/day and I still need $$$ for the fleshy parts and for general maintenance (and upgrades)

Falantrius
September 24th, 2015, 08:04
If you "allow" or "force load" player library modules then the players will have access to them in their library when connected to you - no need for them to have the modules installed.

Don't allow or force load adventure modules, just the player library modules.

Just to be clear - so if I want a player to have Nickademus's great update " PFRPG Classes and Races" that I just downloaded. All I have to do is "Force load" for the players connecting and they will have it in their library?

Nickademus
September 24th, 2015, 11:46
Correct.

kylania
September 24th, 2015, 14:55
Just to be clear - so if I want a player to have Nickademus's great update " PFRPG Classes and Races" that I just downloaded. All I have to do is "Force load" for the players connecting and they will have it in their library?

Personally I'd leave it as the green checkmark for "Allow player load". That way if they want it they can load it, but you're not automatically pushing it down to everyone that connects.

Force loading is a huge connection killer and can interrupt games when people join in since the host can lock up spewing down all these modules people probably don't really need all the time. :)