PDA

View Full Version : Characters in Client Cache?

rbeard101
September 9th, 2015, 23:30
I just had a total hard drive crash and discovered my backup is also corrupt. I was wondering if the characters in a campaign are stored in the client side cache? I was always the FG2 server. If they are stored, where can I find them on the player's clients? Where would the files be located? Even if it was just partial character stats, it would help!

Trenloe
September 10th, 2015, 00:48
You might be able to use the FGPEM utility (bottom of this page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guides).

Copy the campaign.dat file from the player cache (on the player computer). This is found on the players side at <FG app data>\cache\<campaign name>. Copy this and rename to campaign.pak. Then point the "Extract" (second button down) section of FGPEM at this campaign.pak file. It should create a "campaign (extracted)" directory with a few files in it. The character that player played will be in "clientcharacters.xml".

You'll only be able to get access to the specific character that player played, so you may have to get the campaign.dat file from each player.

damned
September 10th, 2015, 06:14
I just had a total hard drive crash and discovered my backup is also corrupt. I was wondering if the characters in a campaign are stored in the client side cache? I was always the FG2 server. If they are stored, where can I find them on the player's clients? Where would the files be located? Even if it was just partial character stats, it would help!

Good luck! Hopefully Trenloes method will help you get something back.
Once you get going again - in whatever form - this might be worth doing in future.

Before or After a game session or prep session zip up the campaign file and date it and drop it into onedrive/dropbox/etc and that way you have multiple backups over time.
my files look like this:
DeceitOfAikarn.20150902.zip
DeceitOfAikarn.20150824.zip
DeceitOfAikarn.20150819.zip
etc

Don't move your whole/live campaign path to a sync drive as yo will likely encounter data corruption at some point.