PDA

View Full Version : Recreating a mod

Zacchaeus
September 9th, 2015, 20:15
Let's suppose that I have a mod which contains a story and a bunch of maps. Let's now say that I, for reasons best known to myself, wish to transfer that module to another, new campaign but wish everything to be exactly as it is in the original. So I create a new campaign (and close it down without doing anything at all) and copy the original db.xml file into it overwriting the one that's there. Then I copy all of the maps into the images folder. When I open the new module everything is in it's place; all the links work etc.

So I have two questions. This seems to work but have I overlooked any hidden dangers which will crop up at some later date because I didn't do something vital? And secondly is there a more elegant method of achieving the same result by merging modules via the export function?

jshauber
September 9th, 2015, 22:01
I just export modules and open them in my main campaign game as needed. This saves a bunch of space and allows me to have the characters always log into the same campaign which has the PCs, some random stuff that I need all the time, etc.

This way I can work on parts as needed and have them available to be opened/closed in the library. Great for sandbox style games as I can design multiple locations and just open what I need as players move to that area.

The other thing this allows is for you to run multiple games using the same modules but having everything for each group in a separate campaign.

I haven't merged modules yet by layering them into other modules and exporting again, but don't see how it would be an issue. I just prefer to keep everything small and simple.

Zacchaeus
September 9th, 2015, 22:42
Indeed, jshauber. However in this particular case, for reasons that I cannot go into, I am unable to do what you correctly suggest is the normal way of doing things. I need to split this module up and then have a way of bringing it all together again. The method which I outlined above works but I just wanted to know if there was a more elegant way of doing it, since that method is fraught with danger :)

Griogre
September 10th, 2015, 02:04
That's the best way of doing if if you don't want to export the whole thing or you are changing rulesets.

Trenloe
September 10th, 2015, 02:47
I'm confused. When you say "module" are you referring to a Fantasy Grounds module (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Modules) or are you referring to an adventure module (in the traditional RPG adventure module sense)?

Griogre
September 10th, 2015, 03:02
I'm pretty sure he means adventure module, Trenloe. I've had to do this when I wanted to split adventures into multiple campaigns so they could be exported separately.

Trenloe
September 10th, 2015, 03:07
I'm pretty sure he means adventure module, Trenloe. I've had to do this when I wanted to split adventures into multiple campaigns so they could be exported separately.
OK. Well, in that case, just copy the whole campaign directory and rename it - the name of the directory is the name of the campaign. So, if you have <FG App Data>\campaigns\My LMoP and you want to create a new campaign, with all the same data, copy the whole <FG App Data>\campaigns\My LMoP directory and rename the copied directory <FG App Data>\campaigns\My New Campaign for example. When you open FG and go to "Load Campaign" you'll see a new campaign called "My New Campaign" and it will be an exact copy of the "My LMoP" campaign, which will still be present.