PDA

View Full Version : Connection Stopped Working

rhuobhe
September 9th, 2015, 11:23
Hey everyone. Used to be running games smoothly on my PC for a few months but needed to switch over to a Mac today. So I moved all my files etc and updated my port forwarding with the Macbook's internal IP. And the connection test suddenly stopped working :S Strangely, it doesn't work on my PC anymore either even when I restore my old port settings.

Extra info:
-I'm not very informed about port forwarding stuff but using a couple youtube vids I set it up like this (https://i.imgur.com/OdiQg2w.jpg) on my Huawei HG552D modem which used to work fine.
-Canyouseeme.org gives a time out error when I test my connection while a FG campaign is loaded.
-Not sure if this site is legit but on portchecker.co I get a port closed message.
-I have enabled connections in Windows Firewall. (Mac's firewall is turned off.) No anti-virus programs.
-Using a second FG client, I CAN connect to my own server inside the computer using the internal ip address (not with alias though).

Any help would be really appreciated as I have a game scheduled this evening.

Cheers.

Edit: This turned out to be an ISP issue. See my 2nd post below.

damned
September 9th, 2015, 12:02
Sent you a PM.

rhuobhe
September 10th, 2015, 08:09
This pretty likely turned out to be some bizarre thing going on with my ISP but we figured it out with Hamachi in the end. My game ran smoothly after all. Thanks again Damned!

damned
September 10th, 2015, 11:29
Hey rhuobhe thinking about this some more - it may be your router. Most routers these days are built to a price and they can become less reliable or fail intermittently. If you have another router about you could test that - or if its an old router sometimes your ISP may even replace it for free. Its a long shot so don't go spending money on it if you don't have access to these.

rhuobhe
August 24th, 2016, 16:50
An update: Hamachi also stopped working after some point which made us quit FG altogether. But eventually I've figured out the root of this problem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

As far as I understand, this is something like an "IP pool" which some ISP's use and it causes a user to have two different IP addresses (one in router and one online) therefore preventing the use of port forwarding. If the IP address you see online (eg. canyouseeme.org) doesn't match the IP you see in your router settings, it might mean you are behind a CGN.

Anyway, some solutions to this:

-Getting a static IP from your ISP (You pay extra for this in Turkey.)
-Resetting your router for randomly getting an IP outside the "IP pool".
-Calling customer support and asking to be removed from CGN or IP pool.

Hope this helps somebody else. Cheers!

damned
August 25th, 2016, 02:02
Many European countries - Germany in particular - have long since run out of IPv4 space and do this....