PDA

View Full Version : Need help with many issues [Ruleset 2E]

Larhalt
September 9th, 2015, 10:57
Talking with psicodelix, who did the ruleset ADD2 for FG, he pass me the link for downloading (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Ruleset:_2E) this ruleset.
Is a good ruleset, but I have so many problem with it.

1) The GM rolls are always visible
2) Can't (or don't know how) insert portrait for characters.
3) Table won't work
4) Calendar won't work
5) d20 Monsters and Spells doesn't work

And probably other.

It's the only 2E ruleset that "works" with all the features of FG 3, could someone help me to fix it, please?

damned
September 9th, 2015, 12:02
Larhalt none of the things you are asking for are easy. psicodelix is a very good programmer - if he hasn't added these features its not because he couldn't be bothered - its because it takes time - and a fair old chunk of it. All the things you are asking for are in other rulesets so the code is there. Its accessible to everyone.
Calendars are a complicated feature.
Tables are pretty complicated.
Dice Tower and Hidden Rolls might be easier
Portraits *might* be somewhere to start...
Why would d20 Monsters and Spells work? Its not a d20 ruleset?

Trenloe links to a free LUA scripting book here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25679-Random-Table-in-another-ruleset&p=229136&viewfull=1#post229136
Get notepad++ and then look at a simple extension first and see how that is put together.

Honestly - with your wishlist you would be better off rebuilding the 2E code as a CoreRPG layered ruleset...

Does all that make you go aaarrggh! and want to run off and hide? Don't. It can be done. It can be done without programming skill IF you are willing to put in the time.

Larhalt
September 9th, 2015, 12:11
I see your point, and is true.
Unfortunately I don't have so much time to learn HOW-TO modify and adapt the script. I just moved to Germany from Italy and I'm working and studying the language.

Anyway, thank you for your reply, damned :)

Edit:
I have the exact problem described in this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17835-quot-Database-node-not-owned-quot-error). After 3 years, someone have a solution?

Trenloe
September 9th, 2015, 14:37
1) The GM rolls are always visible
Works OK for me. The GM sees the roll but the players just see the shadow roll and no result. If the GM side shows a question mark ? to the left of the roll then it is hidden from the players.

If this is not the case for you, then go to Options -> Game and set the "Show GM dice rolls" to Off.

2) Can't (or don't know how) insert portrait for characters.
The player adds the portrait, not the GM. If you're the GM and want to do this, open another instance of FG on the same computer and "Join Game" with an address of localhost then add the portrait to the PC using the portrait button in the top right of the desktop.

Trenloe
September 9th, 2015, 14:40
I have the exact problem described in this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17835-quot-Database-node-not-owned-quot-error). After 3 years, someone have a solution?
The solution is mentioned in that post. The ruleset developer needs to code to handle the player side updating data owned by the GM. When do you get this issue?

Larhalt
September 9th, 2015, 14:57
Thank you Trenloe, I alway test the ruleset with a client connected to localhost, but I see the gm rolls and can't find a way to set portraits.

The problem I have is exactly what is explained in the post. When a client roll the initiative, insted put the value in the combat tracker, I get that error.
Same file, same line, same error.

Trenloe
September 9th, 2015, 15:02
Thank you Trenloe, I alway test the ruleset with a client connected to localhost, but I see the gm rolls and can't find a way to set portraits.
See my updated post above - use the campaign options to hide the GM rolls.

For protraits: on a player instance, open a character sheet then click the portraits button in the top right of the desktop. If you have a lot of portrait files installed it might take a while for the window to appear. Then double-click on the portrait you want to use and it will appear in the desktop in the top left. Drag this image to the token space on the character sheet to create a token.

Trenloe
September 9th, 2015, 15:03
The problem I have is exactly what is explained in the post. When a client roll the initiative, insted put the value in the combat tracker, I get that error.
Same file, same line, same error.
The best way around this is for the GM to either add the init manually to the combat traker after the error (the GM can drag/drop the Init result from the chat window and drop it on the Init entry for the relevant PC in the combat tracker), or for the GM to roll initiative for everyone from the Combat Tracker menu.

Larhalt
September 9th, 2015, 15:06
That's what I always do, but if there's this function, why not using?
I mean, maybe someone knows a workaround for it

Trenloe
September 9th, 2015, 15:14
That's what I always do, but if there's this function, why not using?
I mean, maybe someone knows a workaround for it
The "work around" I mention above - either do it manually or change the code as listed in the thread you mention: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17835-quot-Database-node-not-owned-quot-error OOB messaging needs to be used so that the GM sets the value, not the player. Or an Init result field can be added to the character sheet and this could be linked to the combat tracker.

This is a community ruleset - developed by a community member in their own time (it will have taken many, many hours) and provided free to the community. It is very rare for community rulesets to be 100% complete - as this would take 100s of hour to do. As such, there are occasionally unsolved issues in community rulesets. Please keep this in mind.

Larhalt
September 9th, 2015, 16:13
I'm not able to modify the code, so the only way for me is to continue adding manually the init rolls.

leozelig
September 10th, 2015, 01:08
It seems like there have been a lot of requests for 2E lately. I recently cracked this thing open with the intention of cleaning it up, but it didn't take long to realize this thing is beyond my skill level. For as long as I can remember, AD&D has been an elusive ruleset on Fantasy Grounds.