PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with wizards familiar (5E Ruleset)

lordjeb
September 9th, 2015, 05:23
I have searched the forums and can't find any information on this. What is the best recommended way to handle a wizards familiar (Owl) in FG? Is there any way to create a PC from the Owl NPC in the Monster Manual, or something similar so I can have access to all the attacks, etc.?

Morgentaler
September 9th, 2015, 05:34
Two method's I've used..

#1 Create a PC with the Owl's Stats..movement attacks etc..and have the player manage his familiar as another "Character"

#2 Create a owl NPC..drag him into the combat tracker set him as friendly have the Wizard figure out where he wants his familiar moved or what actions to be done. And have the DM run him as another creature.

dulux-oz
September 9th, 2015, 06:25
Two method's I've used..

#1 Create a PC with the Owl's Stats..movement attacks etc..and have the player manage his familiar as another "Character"

#2 Create a owl NPC..drag him into the combat tracker set him as friendly have the Wizard figure out where he wants his familiar moved or what actions to be done. And have the DM run him as another creature.

I've also done it both ways - I favour Method #1 for Familiars and Animal Companions (they are, after all, a type of Henchman and so I treat them as such).

I favour Method #2 for Warhorses (inc. a Paladin's Warhorse), Dogs and other creatures (such as Swarms and Summoned Creatures).

Cheers

Draca
September 9th, 2015, 14:58
Cant you drag the owl to the npc record , then drag form there to the pc portrait to give the player full control?

jshauber
September 9th, 2015, 17:35
Cant you drag the owl to the npc record , then drag form there to the pc portrait to give the player full control?

Yes you can, just be sure as DM you don't close the window or it will close on the player's end as well.

Trenloe
September 12th, 2015, 04:37
Yes you can, just be sure as DM you don't close the window or it will close on the player's end as well.
If a token linked to the shared NPC record is on the map then the player can double-click that token to open the NPC sheet - even if the GM has closed it on their side.

Full steps from a GM and player side to do sharing/control of NPC records is given here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20711-Any-interest-in-a-Summon-Monster-Nature-Ally-module&p=171712&viewfull=1#post171712