PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tracker Overload...help please

TheMetal1
September 9th, 2015, 03:52
So I'm working on a module for Castles & Crusades for my own use. I'm converting Rappan Athuk for Swords & Wizardry to the C&C Ruleset. There are some spoiler for the Wilderness area that will follow...

Anyway, as I was working on Area 18. Lair of Vorlak and his Kobold Gang. I created an "Encounter" which has 112 Kobold Warriors, 1 Ogre, 47 Kobold Raiders, 65 Kobold Women and 100 Kobold Children. Instead of splitting these up I put in them in a single encounter, populated the map with icons, pinned it... it was all fantastic and beautiful.

That is until I added it to the combat tracker. I get the "spiral of death" then a script error not enough memory. Then the game crashes and closes. I left it alone for some time, deleted the map, etc. Then tried again today to simply access the Combat Tracker and it crashed the same way. Looks like I added wayyyyyy to many NPCs to combat tracker and it's crashing.

Is there anyway to clear the combat tracker without actually accessing it?

maybe another way to fix this problem?????????

damned
September 9th, 2015, 04:31
backup your db.xml
open it in a decent editor like notepad++
find <combattracker>
collapse it (ctrl+alt+f in notepad++) and delete from <combattracker> to </combattracker>
save
relaunch FG.

damned
September 9th, 2015, 04:31
backup your db.xml
open it in a decent editor like notepad++
find <combattracker>
collapse it (ctrl+alt+f in notepad++) and delete from <combattracker> to </combattracker>
save
relaunch FG.

Did I mention - backup your db.xml first?

TheMetal1
September 9th, 2015, 05:26
damned,

Thanks. That did the trick (and yes I backed up my db.xml!). I was getting a bit worried as I set that project aside a while ago, and when I checked today I figured I'd have to start all over. You've saved the day. God Bless you!

seycyrus
September 10th, 2015, 01:20
So, I think it is fair to say that the OP went a little overboard in terms of number participants in his encounter...

But is there a guideline as to how many is too much? I routinely run my combat tracker with 6 PCs and 20 or so NPCs. Am I close to some limit? Any idea how that limit is defined?

seycyrus
September 10th, 2015, 01:21
So, I think it is fair to say that the OP went a little overboard in terms of number participants in his encounter...

But is there a guideline as to how many is too much? I routinely run my combat tracker with 6 PCs and 20 or so NPCs. Am I close to some limit? Any idea how that limit is defined?

JohnD
September 10th, 2015, 02:25
I've gone as high as about 40, but you're much better splitting them up that's for certain.

In big combats I frequently have a combat tracker that scrolls more than twice the screen length... those combats last 2 or 3 sessions.

TheMetal1
September 10th, 2015, 04:44

Yeah. Rappan Athuk, at least from what I've gone through in the Wilderness Areas, doesn't have maps for some stuff, and then if they do - as in the case of the Kobold - just gives you a big number for the tribe or bandit group with general locations on the map - Ogre lair, Kobolds, Females/Children, prisoners, but that still puts a lot of tokens (165 in one case) in an area. Ideally, you should break down room by room, but in translating this to C&C I wanted to stick as close as possible to the text and maps provided in the adventure.

I do like the encounters as it is easy to adjust. I've considered setting up the encounters with just one monster and adjusting on the fly as the CK can increase or decrease the number as needed. But I felt in translating adventure, I wanted to see what they would all look like placed on the map and then added to the combat tracker (Hence my the problem)

Well, I do know that 333 is too much for the tracker handle! :) More realistically, I've had around 50 or so in combat no issues.

Nickademus
September 10th, 2015, 11:47
Not all NPCs are the same when it comes to the tracker. Ones with spell classes that have spell actions take much more time for FG to parse into the tracker. For a large number of creatures (333 is probably still too many), keep the middle tab of the NPC character sheet blank. If you really need spells and ability effects, link a separate NPC character sheet containing them to the third tab of the creatures going into the CT. The link copies into the CT but not all the content of the link so the CT doesn't have to copy any spell action data.