PDA

View Full Version : Warlocks Sheet

Danimal66
September 9th, 2015, 02:28
I did a search and couldn't find a topic. One of my players is a Warlock and I'm finding this the most difficult character to manage in FG. Here is a list of things off the top of my head.

Spell slots seem off. For example of 5th level Warlock should have 2 3rd level spell slots but the player sheet show 1 first level and 2 second level slots.
Invocations are hard to manage. For example Armor of Shadows is just a Mage Armor spell how do I get this to be a cast at will spell
Other Invocations are also hard to implement

Just curious if anyone else has a Warlock charcter and how you manage these things?

whiteTiki
September 9th, 2015, 16:43
What you're trying to do is quite easy. I'm guessing you're new to FG? Because I've been a user for less than a month now and I find it simple now that I understand, here’s how (and I’m not going to give a lot of details cause there’s really a lot of info out there)

1.- Just modify the total spell slots you have in level 5, if you’re making a new character that starts ABOVE Level 1, FG won’t level up the character for you, so you have to drag and drop new traits, feats, spells and modifying stuff which includes SPELL SLOTS. Go to your actions tab, then preparation mode and change the spell slots you have as a warlock level 5.
2.- Drag and drop the Mage Armor spell from the PHB (if you bought) or create a new one.
3.- It can all be managed perfectly If you learn how to create spells, add actions to it and effects.

Again, there really is a lot of info out there, as I told you before, I’ve been user less than a month now (20 days) and I’ve learned everything from reading and watching videos, my first post on the forums was for some doubts I had about advanced stuff, editing and creating spells and effects just yesterday.

Anyways, hope that worked. Remember FG is a software after all that requires some studying and learning to master.

Danimal66
September 9th, 2015, 16:58
I've read and watched a number of videos. Going through an hour long video when I'm just asking for advice on a few things is not something productive to me.

FWIW I leveled up the character one level at a time in FG, I don't know what you mean about adjusting spell slots I'll look into that. The other spell casters leveled up spell slots perfectly using the same method just not the Warlock.

Dragging Mage Armor from the spell list works ok, but it is not an at will spell. I found out last night if I dragged it from the description under invocations it does come in correctly. Why the difference IDK.

Redemption77
September 9th, 2015, 17:13
Im not sure how you're having this issue My warlock as well as the PC warlock in the game Im running have tracked their spell slots properly. I'll make a few more warlocks and see if I can replicate this spell slot error and let you know what went wrong

Danimal66
September 9th, 2015, 17:15
Im not sure how you're having this issue My warlock as well as the PC warlock in the game Im running have tracked their spell slots properly. I'll make a few more warlocks and see if I can replicate this spell slot error and let you know what went wrong

I appreciate that. I was thinking of just recreating him from scratch and see if that fixed it.

whiteTiki
September 9th, 2015, 17:15
I'll try making some warlocks too and see whats the problem. I have one in my party and it Works perfectly so its weird

Danimal66
September 9th, 2015, 17:17
I appreciate the offer from both of you to make Warlocks but if they are working for both of you then somehow this character must just be screwed up. He was the first one I made when buying the program it is entirely possible I did something wrong. I will remake him from scratch tonight.

whiteTiki
September 9th, 2015, 17:18
If I get it right I'll post some images but they'll need aproval first so it will take a while before they appear

whiteTiki
September 9th, 2015, 17:58
Here are the images on how to do what you're talking about

Danimal66
September 9th, 2015, 20:58
Thanks for those, I'm going to mess around when I get home because my actions / spells area looks nothing like that. My spells are not grouped by level etc.

Danimal66
September 10th, 2015, 02:55
So I removed all the spells and re-added them and they are now grouped by Level. No idea why they weren't before. I'm still unclear on how you made brown headers for the invocations. I'm looking all over the wiki for how to do that.

Danimal66
September 10th, 2015, 03:59
Nevermind I'm an idiot. I figured it out.

damned
September 10th, 2015, 06:00
Nevermind I'm an idiot. I figured it out.

Don't be so hard on yourself! Post your answer because you can bet someone else will go thru the exact same process you just did :)

Danimal66
September 10th, 2015, 15:26
Well I was going crazy because I had done this before but forgotten how and I couldn't find anything upon searching.

Anyway I dragged Mage Armor off the spells list into the actions tab and it of course went into the level 1 spells. I then went into preparation / summary and in the second field whatever it is called typed in Eldritch Invocations which created a Power Group (again not sure if using correct terminology).

I then opened the Mage Armor spell in the actions list by using the shield icon and the edited it's level to 0 so it could be cast as a cantrip as will. I had no idea before last night I could edit a spell in the actions tab, I thought that effected all spells.

I added other items in this list and tried to create effect for other invocations.

I still find the whole thing a bit hit or miss when looking for information. For example a Google Search entitled "how to create a Power Group in Fantasy Grounds" brought up no useful information on how to do the above. I've started making a cheat sheet so I can remember everything.

damned
September 10th, 2015, 15:48
a lot of this stuff is very new. its a product that is being developed continuously. unfortunately the doco is not always easy to find the answers from. dont be afraid to share your cheat sheet too - others might learn from it and even add to it.

Zacchaeus
September 10th, 2015, 16:05
I haven't rolled up a Warlock ever so I'm probably not the best to give out advice here, but it seems to me that what you need to do is create the Power group 'Eldritch Invocations' first before you start dragging over spells. Then when the character gets such an invocation drag the spell and drop it on the bar which says 'Eldritch Invocations' and the spell will be added to that group. If you just drag it into the actions tab it will create a new spell group such as Cantrips, 1st Level spells etc if such a group doesn't already exist; if such a group does exist then it will be added to that group.

When you set up the Eldritch Invocations Group for the first time, click on the little magnifying glass on the right hand side of the bar and a dialog will pop up. Change the 'Group Type' (by clicking on the little sword icon) to Spells and in the Ability box change that (again by clicking on it) to Cha. You can also change the 'Attack' and Save DC to Cha as well. Now when you drag a spell into this power group (and if the spell is capable of being parsed) then the correct attack, spell save DC and damage will automatically be calculated.

Not every spell can be parsed however and for a variety of reasons. Those you will have to look into to see if you can create the effects manually.

whiteTiki
September 10th, 2015, 16:10
I still find the whole thing a bit hit or miss when looking for information. For example a Google Search entitled "how to create a Power Group in Fantasy Grounds" brought up no useful information on how to do the above. I've started making a cheat sheet so I can remember everything.

Well yeah, you're right. Most of the "simple" stuff you wont find in google, you'll need to watch the tutorial videos if you want to learn, or ask in forums like you're doing. In my expreience, FantasyGrounds is a complicated software once you're using it. It looks easy, but believe me, you'll have much more questions in the future. There's a bunch of "simple" stuff that are really NOT that simple, but the software "thinks" it's simple for you so there is not much info on those things. Such as the ones you were asking. I ran into the same problem and ended up watching all the videos; which of course consumes a lot of time. A thing not much ppl have.

Danimal66
September 10th, 2015, 16:13
but it seems to me that what you need to do is create the Power group 'Eldritch Invocations' first before you start dragging over spells.

How does one do this? This is exactly the problem I was having and I swear I did it before on other character sheets.

I thought it would be as easy as right clicking on the actions tab and choosing new Power Group but no luck. I tried going int oedit mode and adding a power but it put it under an existing group. I know I am missing something very easy but I would like to do this for a few of my players. For example the Monk. I want to add a section for Ki to track his points and list what he can spend them on.

TASagent
September 10th, 2015, 17:13
Danimal66,

To add a power group, make sure the Display option at the bottom of your actions tab is set to Group, then add a new power. Then, in the empty group box, type in the name of the new group you'd like to create. Voila! By clicking on the magnifying glass next to the group name you can set limitations that apply to the group at large, and/or you can set limits on individual powers in preparation mode. There was discussion of how to do this for sorcerers here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25741-Sorcery-Points-on-the-Character-Sheet).

As for cheat sheets, have you seen the list I've compiled of FG tricks and features here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24644-Advanced-Fantasy-Grounds-Usage-5E-Ruleset-Edition)?

Danimal66
September 10th, 2015, 17:24
Thanks TASagent very useful.