PDA

View Full Version : Undocumented Features

Bagpuss2
January 13th, 2005, 09:07
Is it worth keeping a log of all the undocumented features Fantasy Grounds has. While the manual has enough to get started, the more time I spend on these boards the more features I can't recall reading about in the manual keep getting mentioned.

Like how large images are handled (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/viewtopic.php?t=186) so that the players keep the map focused on what the DM wants them to see. Its a cool feature.

Or right-clicking on the left tag in the Storys, Personalities, etc, sections to add additional groups to help organise large adventures. (I've noticed this group feature isn't supported by a module export).

Ged
January 13th, 2005, 09:35
We've planned to make a "complete" documentation perhapas as an evolving html page. It would of course be possible to augment the pdf-manual, but then it might become too lenghty for most people to read it to get a good pace of learning the ways of the software.

Even if the first 20 pages were as before, some kind of a quick starter, I fear adding pages to the pdf would give it a more formidable appearance and repel users from reading it at all. Including another documentation in the install pack might confuse people; should they read the short manual or the long manual. I would probably start to read the long one and drop it off after reading a few pages of introduction, acknowledgements, and detailed installation instructions.

What do you people think? Would a well-organized web page do it?

Lizard Lips
January 13th, 2005, 12:17
What about a full sized manual and a briefer "quick start" guide, both PDFs? If you are worried about potential users being thrown off by a large manual, you could just include the quick start guide with the demo, and both with the full license.

Elric
January 13th, 2005, 12:39
I concur - A 'full' manual would be nice to be able to have printed in front of me or on the other monitor. Since FG sucks down so many resources (on my system), I doubt I could get another browser open to be able to run it and FG at the same time. :D

RazorCut
January 14th, 2005, 00:41
Make separate docs if you have to...might be easier to manage as well. Not having a doc in the first place is a big no-no; so you should concider hiring on a writer, even for a short time. But if you feel you really want only 1 doc, keeping it thin in fear of folks not reading it isn't a good reason not to document. Just have a clear, separate chapter for "Advanced" knowledge or something.

Boda
January 14th, 2005, 17:28
I think you'd do well to add both: a .doc in the download package and a web based list would be superb. As far as confusing people, I wouldn't worry about that. It takes a pretty strong mind to wrap itself around tabletop RPGing from the get-go :) . Any sort of list of full features is going to be less confusing than trying to discover them all on our own.

Frankly, I can't understand why it wasn't included from the time you began charging money for this wonderful product. You've got a great program here; please, tell us how to use it to its maximum potential!

Also, I'd highly recommend posting a list of planned features that you are working on on the web site (probably here in the forums). Mostly because I want to drool over them, heh.

Bottom line, Yes, yes, yes please fully document your product. Please!

Bagpuss2
January 19th, 2005, 16:19
More undocumented features

You can macro your die rolls and still have them be invisible - its not noted in the manual but if you add a ? to the die roll hotkey it'll work. For example

/die ?1d20+3 Reflex Save

That would cause a hidden roll on a macro for the GM. This doesn't (obviously) work for the players, however.

WolfStar76
January 19th, 2005, 21:49
I've been quoted! Yay!