PDA

View Full Version : Good ol connection issues :)

WansumBeats
September 8th, 2015, 15:05
Ive been running monday night games for about 2 months. straight up d&d 5e... ive had 5 people connect to me from the internet plus my son who is upstairs on the house network wifi (im assuming he connects to the internet and then to my pc through the internet)

So ive had roughly 6 different people over the last couple months connect to me and had little to no issues with connection.

Last night a regular player i have, updated fantasy grounds, and it said he was connected in the chat window... but because we were playing savage worlds for the first time he had a bit of a download to do. Last night was a first savage worlds fantasy ground attempt and i have to say it was awesome. (learning glitches but still awesome). So he got stuck at the downloading files screen... the bar would move very slowly and then nothing.

I looked at my network traffic and i was streaming 48kpbs (turns out thats standard for ventrilo). Then another player connected and my sending spiked up to 3-5 Mbs and it took this player seconds to get in. Also it didnt take my son anytime to get in but im not sure how this game handles traffic, as his wifi and my pc share the same router.

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions as to why one player who has connected to me multiple times before couldnt, yet 2 others had no problem? (one was in my house and the other was at thier house)

anything i should look for?

i also went to canyouseeme.org and checked my port and it said it could see me and listed my ip.

Wansum

damned
September 8th, 2015, 15:16
Heya Wansum the player in question should do these things:

Delete the cache for THIS campaign by going to %appdata%\fantasy grounds\cache\<campaign name> and deleting all its contents. If this is a challenge he can nuke all cache using the nuke symbol top right of the splash screen.
If he is using wifi he could try moving closer to the WiFi or testing using a LAN cable

The issue is probably not at your end...

Trenloe
September 8th, 2015, 15:20
Sometimes the connection for the large download can drop/timeout on the FG side. If it's taking too long (i.e. over 5 minutes) with the loading bar still showing then get the player to press the cancel button and try connecting again. Get them to do this when no one else is joining your game so there's no other major upload traffic going on.

WansumBeats
September 8th, 2015, 15:54
damned can you image the nuke button your talking about? im at the starting window and i have three buttons, a restore window and exit and an open data folder... right about 3.1.2 ultimate... i take it this isnt the window?

WansumBeats
September 8th, 2015, 15:55
never mind... i see it.. i just loaded up a second localhost to check it out.. i see the button ;)