PDA

View Full Version : Player's screens freeze, uploading images take forever

mathandlove
September 7th, 2015, 02:28
I'm GMing Princes of Apocalypse on Fantasy Grounds via a Windows 8 laptop. I have made sure portforwarding is working. Here's a list of issues I'm dealing with. Any idea what is going on.

It takes a long time for players to log in to my session - sometimes up to 10 minutes. Other players can log in a relatively short time (2 minutes). According to speedtest.net my Ping is 33ms, my download speed is 13.35 mbps my upload speed is 0.74 mbps.

When everyone does start playing, some players screens start freezing (most my players are on a mac for what it's worth). Freezing tends to happen when I introduce a new map, or unviel part of a current map. I'm afraid to unveil parts of the map as they freeze so often.

Any idea what is going on? I really like being able to play D&D without having to program everything in, but my players are getting frustrated with the load times and freezes which can take about 30 minutes of our 2 hour session.

-Elliott

damned
September 7th, 2015, 02:44
Hey mathandlove welcome!

You sound like you have typical AUS upload speeds (poor).
Some of the maps in PotA are very large.
1st thing to make sure you haven't done is share the PotA module - don't do this. Only share bits and pieces as you get to them.
The next thing to do is apply a mask to all your maps - or at least the ones that you will use for the next session or three.
Then pre-share these (its a right click sharing option) and have the players connect up 10-15 mins early. This way when you share them again in game they should just load up fairly quickly.

Good luck!