PDA

View Full Version : End of Turn and Beginning of Turn Durations for 5E Effects

jajen2003
September 7th, 2015, 00:51
Hey all,

So I'm trying to write up an effect for a barbarian's Reckless Attack.

The feature is written in a way that says the barbarian gets Advantage on all melee attacks for the rest of his turn, not the rest of the round. And all attacks come in against him at Advantage until the start of the barbarians next turn.

So, I figured I can write up the first effect as such:

Reckless Attack; ADVATK: melee
1 RND
Targeting: Self
Expend? On next roll

This will expend this portion of the power on the next outgoing melee attack, then clear itself.

I thought I would be able to use a separate effect for the incoming attacks portion.

Reckless Attack; GRANTADVATK: [range]
1 RND
Targeting: Self
Expend? Never

The problem with this, is in the Initiative order.

If the Initiative Order goes:

1. Enemy1
2. Barbarian
3. Enemy2

On Round 1:1, Enemy1 attacks the Barbarian normally.

On Round 1:2, the Barbarian enacts Reckless Attack. On his first attack, it goes out against Enemy 1 or 2, at Advantage.

On Round 1:3, Enemy2 attacks the Barbarian at Advantage.

On Round 2:1, Enemy1 attacks the Barbarian at Advantage.

On Round 2:2, Reckless Attack wears off and the Barbarian is no longer defending against Advantage attacks.

However, the way the round tracker goes, it removes the second applied effect of Reckless Attack at the start of Round 2. Not at the start of Round 2:2, the beginning of the Barbarian's turn.

Is there a way to enable an effect to expend at the start or end of the target's turn?

I know that sounds confusing, but I hope I got the point across.

Thanks,

Jake

damned
September 7th, 2015, 00:56
Try this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25847-Create-an-Effect-that-ends-at-quot-the-end-of-your-next-turn-quot
using the Initiative to adjust on method...

jajen2003
September 7th, 2015, 01:55
Try this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25847-Create-an-Effect-that-ends-at-quot-the-end-of-your-next-turn-quot
using the Initiative to adjust on method...

Perfect. Thanks.

A quick other question... Is there to just show the effect's name in the combat tracker. So instead of seeing

Rage; ADVCHK: strength; ADVSAV: strength; DMG: 2; RESIST: all, !psychic

They just see Rage.

Kind of like the built in effects like Blinded and Frightened?

EDIT: Yeah, how do you make a custom effect appear in the CT like it was applied like a 'Condition'?

Thanks.

Zacchaeus
September 7th, 2015, 12:17
Amazing how two people come up with the same questions so close together. See this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25893-Name-of-Effects-in-the-CT) for an answer to the first part of your question.

As for the second question you create Effects in the Modifier box by clicking the little button on the bottom right and then on the green cross that appears, then typing your effect into the new line that appears. The syntax is more or less the same as if you were creating the effect in the action tab of the Player Character sheet.

However I suspect what you mean is how do I create an effect exactly like say 'Blindness' so that only Blindness appears on the Combat Tracker but the effect works without showing all of the syntax. The answer is that you can't because the syntax bit is hard coded into Fantasy Grounds. I don't know if it is possible to write an extension for something like that but even if it was it would be an endless task to include all of the possible effects and then keep it current with any changes in the code.

damned
September 7th, 2015, 13:06
Amazing how two people come up with the same questions so close together. See this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25893-Name-of-Effects-in-the-CT) for an answer to the first part of your question.

Funny man!

jajen2003
September 7th, 2015, 15:11

As for the second question you create Effects in the Modifier box by clicking the little button on the bottom right and then on the green cross that appears, then typing your effect into the new line that appears. The syntax is more or less the same as if you were creating the effect in the action tab of the Player Character sheet.

However I suspect what you mean is how do I create an effect exactly like say 'Blindness' so that only Blindness appears on the Combat Tracker but the effect works without showing all of the syntax. The answer is that you can't because the syntax bit is hard coded into Fantasy Grounds. I don't know if it is possible to write an extension for something like that but even if it was it would be an endless task to include all of the possible effects and then keep it current with any changes in the code.

That was me as well. I'm still getting used to which threads and forum areas to use, so I do apologize about the duplicate post. :/

Zacchaeus
September 7th, 2015, 16:18
Oh, good grief. I did not see that it was the same poster. It is I who need to apologize. :)