PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid changes being destroyed by a future patch?

Lizard Lips
January 12th, 2005, 03:18
I'm planning on running Mutants and Masterminds with FG. I just purchased the full license and I'm starting to poke around the xml. Since M&M is OGL, and not d20, I was thinking of creating a new rules set and replicating all of the files from the standard d20 so I can change them as much as I want. The only thing I'm worried about is further patches making updates that won't be incoprorated into my M&M rules.

What's the best way to make drastic changes to the rules, but not have your changes overwritten by a patch?

msd
January 12th, 2005, 03:29
I'm planning on running Mutants and Masterminds with FG. I just purchased the full license and I'm starting to poke around the xml. Since M&M is OGL, and not d20, I was thinking of creating a new rules set and replicating all of the files from the standard d20 so I can change them as much as I want. The only thing I'm worried about is further patches making updates that won't be incoprorated into my M&M rules.

What's the best way to make drastic changes to the rules, but not have your changes overwritten by a patch?

Maybe just create another ruleset for M&M? Have you checked out this thread?

https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/viewtopic.php?t=40

Hope that helps. Sorry to interfere if not...

Matt

Lizard Lips
January 12th, 2005, 04:34
Thanks for the reply! I did check out that thread. I believe what Goblin King is suggesting is to leave all the references to the d20 set alone, and only create custom files where your ruleset diverges from the core rules.

My problem is that Mutants and Materminds is OGL, not d20, and so diverges from the core d20 rules by a wide margin. (No classes, no hitpoints, etc.)

I'm worried that if I leave the references to the d20 rules intact in order to take advantage of patch upgrades, my significant changes to the core rules will be overwritten.

Bagpuss2
January 12th, 2005, 08:43
As long as you create your ruleset in a different directory they won't be overwritten, say a M&M folder.

You might get some problems but I think it is unlikely, especially if you use a similar structure.