PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds Interface Partial Lockup [Confused]

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 05:01
Hello,

So I've noticed this twice now. I'm running FG on a Mac via Steam and my FG interface will lock up. This latest one is keeping my Maps and Images tab open, along with a map that was open. I have lost the ability to click on anything in the interface. I can move the open windows, I can't click on any of the buttons or tabs on the right side of the screen. I can't open Librairies, PCs, Combat Tracker, nothing. I can right-click though and reset my dice layout, roll dice, and chat. But any other clicking in the interface doesn't do anything.

Thoughts or suggestions.

I'm posting screen shots in hopes that it might help.

Thank you.10868

damned
September 4th, 2015, 05:45
Disable the Steam Overlay when running FG. They dont play nice with each other.

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 05:53
Disable the Steam Overlay when running FG. They dont play nice with each other.

I did that a long time ago when I had problems with another game.

So, if the Steam Overlay was already disabled before, what is something else that could be causing this?

ddavison
September 4th, 2015, 16:50
What is weird about the screenshot is that your menu at the top left says Chrome. It's almost like Chrome has the current "focus" instead of the FG window. When you open the window, do you maximize it or just drag the window borders to fill the screen? I would recommend the 2nd option. Also, in your FG Settings screen, make sure you have Linux and Mac Compatibility turned on.

I don't see the Steam overlay in the screenshot, but the Steam overlay setting can be toggled for individual apps separately in Steam. To check it, go to Steam's Library and right-click on Fantasy Grounds to choose the Properties. It should be a toggle checkbox on the first screen of the properties.

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 17:07
Once again, I assure you, it's not the Steam overlay. I've had other issues with the Steam overlay on other games that aren't FG, so I'm positive that it's not the overlay (see screen capture). I made sure that overlay was off for Steam as a whole and specifically in the FG properties.

However, interesting that you ask me about the screen maximizing. So, this is what happens with that. When I first launch the program, the FG window is very tiny. Like 800x600 pixel space on my 27" iMac screen (see screen capture).

So, I right-click on the "table top" and select "maximize" from the radial menu. When I do that, I either lose the bottom part of the FG interface, where I can't see my dice, or the Hot Bar anymore -OR- this happens (see screen capture).

I have been dragging the lower-right corner to resize my screen to full size, and that's what you saw in the screen capture from before (and in this screen capture).

So I checked my settings, at the box you recommended was already checked (see screen capture).

Any other ideas?

I feel horrible, because I just dropped $100 on the Core Class and Core Monster books. I realized that I had purchased FG twice, once in 2006 and again in 2008. I'm trying to get all my table top groups to switch from Roll20 to FG, but if I keep having issues like this, I might need to get a refund for the Core Books I purchased and just stick with Roll20.

Great software isn't great if it doesn't work the way its supposed to.

But I'm open to troubleshooting as much as need be before I throw in the towel.

Thanks,

Jake(DM)

Trenloe
September 4th, 2015, 17:20
When you have the screen showing like it does in image 4 (post #5) does it work OK? i.e. the title bar shows Fantasy Grounds, unlike your screenshot in post #1 where the title bar shows Chrome.

ddavison
September 4th, 2015, 17:24
If this is a repeatable error or issue, would it be possible to record a quick video showing the steps that lead up to the issue? The only thing that jumps out at me as being weird is that the Title bar menu says Chrome on the first screenshot you posted instead of "Fantasy Grounds" like in the 4th of 5 screenshots you posted later. It would seem like something was interfering with and capturing the clicks before they reached the FG user interface.

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 17:26
When you have the screen showing like it does in image 4 (post #5) does it work OK? i.e. the title bar shows Fantasy Grounds, unlike your screenshot in post #1 where the title bar shows Chrome.

Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.

Sometimes, it works and shows Fantasy Grounds at the active program.
Sometimes, it works and it shows another program (that isn't Fantasy Grounds) as the active program.
Sometimes, it doesn't work and shows Fantasy Grounds at the active program.
Sometimes, it doesn't work and it shows another program (that isn't Fantasy Grounds) as the active program.

Sometimes it locks up completely.
Sometimes it partially locks up.
When it does partially locks up, sometimes it will only let me rearrange my dice and roll dice. But everything else, like all the right-side buttons and toggles, or anything active on my screen, can't be clicked or interacted with.
When it does partially locks up, sometimes I can do only certain things, but not others. Like click the PCs button, but not the one below it. Or move one active screen, but not another.

I'm beginning to get really frustrated with all of this. I used to use this program back in 2008. When it was REALLY buggy on a Mac. Sadly, it appears that things for Mac users haven't improved much.

I'm still open to figure out what's going on and get this program working though. I have faith that it DOES work on a Mac.

ddavison
September 4th, 2015, 17:28
I only have a single Mac available for testing but I can't reproduce the error. Is it possible that you have a hotkey set up to launch Google Chrome and that you are entering a key combination or mouse shortcut that is essentially launching that shortcut.

It might be worth checking to see if you have any defined
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18418?locale=en_US

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 17:29
If this is a repeatable error or issue, would it be possible to record a quick video showing the steps that lead up to the issue? The only thing that jumps out at me as being weird is that the Title bar menu says Chrome on the first screenshot you posted instead of "Fantasy Grounds" like in the 4th of 5 screenshots you posted later. It would seem like something was interfering with and capturing the clicks before they reached the FG user interface.

I will try my best to QuickTime screen record me messing around with the interface and give you some live feedback.

Give me a few moments. How do I upload a video for you to review? Would you rather me send it via WeTransfer.com to your [email protected] email?

ddavison
September 4th, 2015, 17:31
When it appears to be "locked up", does it still let you type things in?

I'm starting to remember one obscure issue someone had where the mouse pointer and where it was being shown on the screen were slightly out of sync and I'm wondering if this might be what you are seeing.

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 17:32
I only have a single Mac available for testing but I can't reproduce the error. Is it possible that you have a hotkey set up to launch Google Chrome and that you are entering a key combination or mouse shortcut that is essentially launching that shortcut.

It might be worth checking to see if you have any defined
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18418?locale=en_US

Here is a screen capture of my current App shortcuts.

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 17:33

I'm starting to remember one obscure issue someone had where the mouse pointer and where it was being shown on the screen were slightly out of sync and I'm wondering if this might be what you are seeing.

Yes, I can still type in the chat window, roll dice, rearrange dice, but nothing else. I can't click, drag or move any in-game windows that might be open. I can't interact with the buttons and toggles on the right-side of the screen.

Trenloe
September 4th, 2015, 17:34
If you make the FG window smaller does it start working?

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 17:34

Often times, when it does lock up, or misbehave, I simply have to restart the program. Which sucks if I'm attempting to host a game.

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 17:36
If you make the FG window smaller does it start working?

When you say working, do you mean consistently?

The issues I'm having are hit and miss. Like I said, sometimes it works just fine. Everything runs smooth. Other times, something happens, it gets all wonky on me and starts acting up.

Should I close all my other programs down. Close mail, close chrome, close messages, close everything except FG?

And why does it hide my lower part of the screen when I maximize? It cuts off my dice area and my Hot Keys.

ddavison
September 4th, 2015, 17:40
I will try my best to QuickTime screen record me messing around with the interface and give you some live feedback.

Give me a few moments. How do I upload a video for you to review? Would you rather me send it via WeTransfer.com to your [email protected] email?

That works... or you can post a private video up to Youtube if that is easier and just post the link.

If it lets you type in stuff, it sounds like there is something wrong with the mouse. It would be interesting to see if you move the pointer around slowly near the stuff you want to click if you can get it to still drag if you try nearby.

Also, don't maximize the screen. Just drag the window frame edge/corner to manually resize the screen to fill up as much of your desktop as you want. There is a known issue with maximizing things being wonky on Mac.

Trenloe
September 4th, 2015, 17:40
Other times, something happens, it gets all wonky on me and starts acting up.
When it starts acting up try resizing the screen to a much lower resolution and see if that makes it start working. I know this isn't a solution, I'm trying to work out what might be causing the problem.

ddavison
September 4th, 2015, 17:41
I'm on Skype at ddavison76 if you wanted to do a screenshare instead of a video.

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 17:54
When it starts acting up try resizing the screen to a much lower resolution and see if that makes it start working. I know this isn't a solution, I'm trying to work out what might be causing the problem.

No, that's a great idea! Maybe the app window is too large. :D

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 17:54
That works... or you can post a private video up to Youtube if that is easier and just post the link.

If it lets you type in stuff, it sounds like there is something wrong with the mouse. It would be interesting to see if you move the pointer around slowly near the stuff you want to click if you can get it to still drag if you try nearby.

Also, don't maximize the screen. Just drag the window frame edge/corner to manually resize the screen to fill up as much of your desktop as you want. There is a known issue with maximizing things being wonky on Mac.

Doug, I'm sending you a video capture right now via WeTransfer.com. It's coming from my [email protected] email address.

Once again, I really appreciate all your help. :D

ddavison
September 4th, 2015, 18:47
Okay, so one of the things we noticed was that his Steam copy was running under the Fantasy Grounds Demo (using his Full license key in the settings) instead of the full version of Fantasy Grounds on Steam using the same license. I walked him through adding a game and activating it using the existing license key and then we re-installed FG that way. Initially, it appeared that the update within Steam didn't fully remove and replace the demo version of the app, so we then had to manually delete the FantasyGrounds.app file and re-install. Doing this fixed a number of issues that may have been problematic -- the maximize setting, the improved Finder folders and just generally better responsiveness in the program.

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 18:50
User error on my part. The game is running much smoother and faster since it's been installed correctly.

Many thanks to ddavison and everyone else. This has been THE best customer service I've ever received... ever... for anything.

Doug, thank you so much for all your help. :D

ddavison
September 4th, 2015, 18:58
I'm glad we got it sorted.

One other thing why I remember it... I recommend closing the app by right-clicking on the empty part of the FG desktop and choosing Exit > Exit to Windows as opposed to closing by clicking the X on the window or right-click > quit. This should ensure that FG has a chance to save all changes gracefully. It's still a bit finicky on a few things. Hopefully we can squash a few of those things when we finish the move to Unity.

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 18:59
I'm glad we got it sorted.

One other thing why I remember it... I recommend closing the app by right-clicking on the empty part of the FG desktop and choosing Exit > Exit to Windows as opposed to closing by clicking the X on the window or right-click > quit. This should ensure that FG has a chance to save all changes gracefully. It's still a bit finicky on a few things. Hopefully we can squash a few of those things when we finish the move to Unity.

Will do. Much appreciated again for all your help. It was invaluable.

I'm sold. You got me! I'm in.

Trenloe
September 4th, 2015, 19:09
I'm sold. You got me! I'm in.
Awesome! Glad Doug could get you sorted out. :)

jajen2003
September 14th, 2015, 12:56
Hi there,

A few weeks back [MODERATOR: Moved the posts from this new thread to be part of the original thread], I was having an issue with Fantasy Grounds partially locking up. Up until last night, I was not able to recreate the issue. I can now recreate the issue at will.

Step 1. Host a campaign.
Step 2. Have players connect to the campaign.
Step 3. Share a map with the connected players.
Step 4. Go to the Images and Maps tab.
Step 5. Find the shared map (annotated with the "P" icon)
Step 6. Disable sharing of the map by clicking the "P" icon
Step 7. The screen locks, partially.

Partial Screen Lock. I can access the main desktop radial menu to exit, or arrange dice. I can roll dice in the chat window or the desktop. I cannot click or move ANYTHING else on the screen.

The only fix I've found so far, is to exit to the Launcher and relaunch the campaign.

I can send a screen recording to demonstrate this, if need be. But sure enough, I've figured out how to reproduce it like this, every time.

I guess the next question is: What is the officially recommended way to stop sharing a map with my players?

Best,

Jake(DM)

Trenloe
September 14th, 2015, 13:56
Clicking the icon is the way to stop sharing.

Do you have the image open when you click the icon?

jajen2003
September 14th, 2015, 15:09
Clicking the icon is the way to stop sharing.

Do you have the image open when you click the icon?

Yes.

1. Map is open.
2. I go to the Images and Maps window and click the "P"
3. Partial lock up.

I will try it as follows:

1. Close map
2. Go to the Images and Maps screen and click the "P"
3. [results to follow]

Standby

jajen2003
September 14th, 2015, 15:14
Yes.

1. Map is open.
2. I go to the Images and Maps window and click the "P"
3. Partial lock up.

I will try it as follows:

1. Close map
3. [results to follow]

Standby

From above:

1. Close map
3. [no partial lock up]

So apparently, the order in which you perform operations makes a difference.

That should be updated in the user guide since it is procedural.

Trenloe
September 14th, 2015, 16:22
From above:

1. Close map
3. [no partial lock up]

So apparently, the order in which you perform operations makes a difference.

That should be updated in the user guide since it is procedural.
This is great that we've tracked down a way to reproduce (and a way for you to work around the issue).

I'd be interested if other Mac users see this issue as I can't reproduce on a Windows PC.

jajen2003
September 14th, 2015, 16:25
There seems to be a bunch of issues with FG on a Mac.

I've given up on the Maximize/Restore screen options. I just leave the window as an editable frame, squeeze it up to the top left corner of my screen and drag it out to the bottom right.

I'm hoping with the Unity switch, FG will finally run natively on a Mac. [crosses fingers]

Nylanfs
September 14th, 2015, 17:25
I agree lets burn all the MAC users at the stake! <I kid>

Trenloe
September 14th, 2015, 17:26
I'm hoping with the Unity switch, FG will finally run natively on a Mac. [crosses fingers]
Jeez, what do you want? Unity version or Library editing?!?

Only joking, although trying to reiterate a previously made statement as well... :D

And I know the answer to the above will be "both"! :)

jajen2003
September 14th, 2015, 17:31
LOL. Well coming back in after a long time gone, you start exploring and seeing what works and what doesn't.

Between the awesome customer service (from Doug himself) and the laid back attitude of the community, I'm happy with the game as of now. But I can dream can't I? :D

Zeus
September 14th, 2015, 18:26
I'll have a look at this and will see if we can nail the root cause, although I suspect we may be falling afoul of the pseudo windows environment (Wine) that FG runs in on Mac OS X at present. For Unity, we are aiming to support Windows and Mac natively, so these platform related issues should in theory be reduced in future versions.

jajen2003
September 14th, 2015, 18:28
I'll have a look at this and will see if we can nail the root cause, although I suspect we may be falling afoul of the pseudo windows environment (Wine) that FG runs in on Mac OS X at present. For Unity, we are aiming to support Windows and Mac natively, so these platform related issues should in theory be reduced in future versions.

I concur with your suspicions. I've made my players aware of it and we'll plan accordingly to accommodate.