PDA

View Full Version : can't load without error

krb243
September 4th, 2015, 00:24
ok, I've had the nasty hd melt-down and have replaced it with a new one. fg is the last program to be re-loaded and all seemed fine during the installation. then I went to settings and placed my acct and license info in the correct spots and the update dies at the update of the 3.5 magic item mod. I've re-entered the info and tried re-loading several times and even uninstalled and re-installed again, but it still dies at the 3.5 magic items mod during update. went thru the faq and read thru the forums, but no luck. what the heck is going on?

ddavison
September 4th, 2015, 00:37
Are you using an older installation file or the newest All Licenses download from the website? I would recommend pulling the latest installation from here if you haven't already.

krb243
September 4th, 2015, 00:57
the newest file from the download page

Trenloe
September 4th, 2015, 01:02
Try running the updater on its own and with administrative privileges - use "Run as Administrator" on UpdateEngine.exe in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds directory.

ddavison
September 4th, 2015, 01:54
It might also be a problem with a partial file already present in that directory. I'd recommend manually deleting the application data folder specified in your settings or at least rename it temporarily before retrying an install.

krb243
September 4th, 2015, 02:55
after yet another fresh install using another new dnld of the fg all license file, again the updater errors out at the 3.5 magic items mod. yes before I re-installed I completely deleted the fg program and went into the fg folder and also deleted it and I tried run as admin with the same results. I'm at a loss.

ddavison
September 4th, 2015, 03:00
If you go into your Settings, there is a checkbox for Enhanced update logging. Turn that on and re-run a Check for Updates. Send the Update.log file from your Application Data Folder and a screenshot of your Settings screen to [email protected] and we can hopefully spot what might be causing it.

krb243
September 4th, 2015, 20:36
just to pass along a resolution that others might find helpful...the issue that caused fg settings to have additional characters added to the user name and appdata file entry spaces in the fg updater was caused by super shield. it's an add-on for pcmatic that blocks viruses. after LOTS of trial and error and working with mr davison, the problem is resolved!!! I uninstalled just the super shield portion of pcmatic, leaving the rest in-tact, and now fg runs great.

damned
September 4th, 2015, 22:20
well done guys.