PDA

View Full Version : Creating tokens based on known universes, such as Middle-earth or Star Wars

Shockbolt
September 3rd, 2015, 20:10
I've been toying with the idea, and been approached by people who'd like to see me create and sell tokens and tiles based on Star Wars and Middle-earth.
I can't blame them for asking, for those are two of several fandoms of my own. But I can't help think that if I ever did that, without a license, I would have lawyers
competing to knock on my e-mail inbox door. And I would assume that acquiring a license to be able to market and sell using any names or brands would cost me
quadruple times more than I would ever earn from selling these art kits.

I guess I should've introduced myself first on the top of the post here, My name is Raymond Gaustadnes and I'm the creator behind the GMC Fantasy art kits.
Some of you may still remember me, some even feel a bit of anger as I've not been able to cram out as many addon art kits as I've wanted lately, but that will change.

Right now, I'm starting the process to get more of them art kits compatible with the FG marketplace. I'm also looking to start expanding into scifi themes, which is why Star Wars
for example was brought up as a subject. And I'd love to start creating complete campaigns, with specialized maps and tokens.

Is there anyone who has any sort of experience creating artwork for sale, tokens, maps, tiles, that is based on known brands such as the two mentioned?
I'd love to at least send the proper people an e-mail but I don't know where to address it. I guess one way would be to create the art, and wait until the first lawyers start appearing, and then ask *heh*

Some apparently lost dude in white plastic armor:
https://www.digitalartwork.no/SW/Stormtrooper_a_01.jpg

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2015, 22:13
Devin Night does Star Wars tokens, but he doesn't sell them: https://immortalnights.com/tokensite/?p=13158

Whether this would actually cover him from a Cease and Desist notice is debatable, but he is careful not to release them as commercial products. Patrons commission these tokens and Devin releases them as free products.

Shockbolt
September 4th, 2015, 19:37
I found a Chris Holm working for Lucasfilm and sent him an e-mail regarding the matter, I guess it's a snowballs chance to survive in he** that I will receive a reply, let alone a reply that will hint towards the possibility to create something with the SW logo slapped onto it. But we'll see.

Shockbolt
September 9th, 2015, 19:18
I received this reply today, they are pretty clear that no non-licensed SW stuff are to be distributed, and that they won't allow for a possibility to acquire such a license.

Dear Raymond,

Thank you for contacting us about producing Star Wars branded fantasy art roleplaying kits for commercial use. In order for you to do this, you would need to have a license from Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC as the exclusive owner of the Star Wars based intellectual property rights, including Star Wars trademarks. Although we appreciate your interest, we receive many requests seeking permission to use materials from Star Wars and we cannot grant you the license you seek. Without a license, you would not be able to produce and distribute items based on the Star Wars intellectual property.

Lucasfilm Ltd. is the sole and exclusive owner of the Star Wars motion pictures and any other Star Wars properties. These properties and unique elements that appear therein are protected by the copyright and trademark laws of the United States and other nations. Please note that any unauthorized use of these names, characters, music and images would, at a minimum, be inappropriate.

Sincerely,

/S/

Christopher Holm

Business Affairs

Lucasfilm Ltd.

jshauber
September 9th, 2015, 21:51
Not the answer you wanted, but at least you got an answer...

damned
September 10th, 2015, 06:20
Not the answer you wanted, but at least you got an answer...

And quickly too. That's a company that takes their IP rights - and their licensees - seriously.

Shockbolt
September 10th, 2015, 15:13
Yeah, it wasn't the answer I'd hoped for. But in return, I will pump out some kickass scifi art kits of my own creation.

JohnD
September 10th, 2015, 15:38
Not a surprising response. But... at least you asked.