PDA

View Full Version : how to get the biggest bang for my buck?

WansumBeats
September 3rd, 2015, 19:36
New to savage worlds... ive bought the core books and im learning the system, which by the way looks amazing.

What im curious to know as ive been playing D&D for 37 years is, there is so many settings in savage worlds i dont know where to start.

Id like to start by keeping it simple.. and sticking with what i know.... fantasy.

From what im reading there is no "generic" fantasy setting or at least i cant find it. ive been to the PEG website and looked at the material they offer. The last parsec seems to be the new sci-fi setting, deadlands is the old west settings with a twist, slipstream seams to be like flash gordon futuristic, and lankhmar from what ive read is just a city? (not sure about that one)

what im looking for is what to buy in fantasy grounds. (ive got the core books)

Id like to try deadlands, and i think my son would be interested in weird wars, the confusion im having is about deadlands reloaded? my understanding is that reloaded means its a futuristic setting that takes place after the original.. but on fantasy grounds deadlands reloaded seems to be deadlands with savage grounds architecture. ive read that deadlands used to be a d20 system?

so what deadlands do i buy that will give me the "CORE" setting and do i need to buy a players guide and marshals guide?

is there a fantasy setting with modules in the store?

is there enough pregenerated material in fantasy grounds to get me up and playing and learning the rules?

just not sure where i should invest my money. in 5e you can buy all the class packs and monster packs, not realizing you could just buy the players handbook and monstermanual and get everything and i dont want to double up on stuff.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Wansum

Mask_of_winter
September 3rd, 2015, 21:49
Deadlands Reloaded is the weird west setting for Savage Worlds. Deadlands Is another game, it's precursor. And yes it was also a d20 setting at some. The futuristic Deadlands you must be talking about is Deadlands Hell on Earth. It's post-apocalyptic spin off. There's also Deadlands Noir. If you want to play Deadlands Reloaded yes you need the Marshall and Players guide.

Savage Worlds doesn't do generic settings really. Not from PEG anyway. Everything has got a spin. Closest thing is the Fantasy Companion. A tool kit to create generic fantasy settings or adapt a fantasy setting.

I can understand you wanting to stick to fantasy. I do however recommend you start out with something else because you may spend too much time comparing it to D&D.

The Lankhmar series (3books) extends to all of Nehwon and is a complete sword &sorcery setting.

For pre-gens on Fantasy Grounds there are some in most settings, some you have to drag and drop from NPC to the PC window. ETU comes with 10 ready to play PCs, same with War of the Dead.

I'm running A Lankhmar one-shot Sunday afternoon (US Eastern) if you'd like to give it a try.

But if you must go Fantasy, Hellfrost is well supported on Fantasy Grounds with many adventure modules. Daring Tales of Adventure has many adventures as well if you like Indiana Jones. Deadland Reloaded also has many campaigns and adventure modules.

Anything else you'd like to know, just hit me up.

WansumBeats
September 3rd, 2015, 22:11
Thanks for the input... so in fantasy grounds Deadlands Reloaded are the core books the players guide and the marshals guide. ill pick those up. and take your advice and try a different setting in Savage Worlds to start.

Have you tried the weird wars II setting? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=PEG106002FG2

It looks like it has everything to get started.

Lastly do any of the items they have on the store cross over, like class packs and players handbook in 5e? anything i shouldnt buy because it comes with a core book or something?

WansumBeats
September 3rd, 2015, 22:13
Id love to check out your game on sunday... i run expeditions on sunday noon to 3pm PST which is 3-6 EST i think. not sure if i could make it... ive never played a single game of with savage worlds on FG could use a run down of how the GUI works in FG.

ty for your time :)

Mask_of_winter
September 3rd, 2015, 22:21
I have Weird Wars II in pdf, hardcover and the Fantasy Grounds conversion. It's an amazing setting. The conversion doesnt come with pre-gens but PEG has some here (https://www.peginc.com/freebies/WWSavageWorlds/WWIIPregens.pdf) , by using the NPC maker extension you can quickly and effortlessly port those over to FG. It has campaign frames and a campaign, as well as a mission generator.

Crossover? Necessary Evil and Supers Companion, kinda. Necessary Evil is a standalone product. The Supers Companion updated the rules for Supers but doesn't have the Plot Point Campaign.

damned
September 3rd, 2015, 23:05
If you want to try something other than SW then the included 3.5/PF gives you excellent bang for your buck and the $10 castles&crusades stuff is also excellent.

Mask_of_winter
September 4th, 2015, 02:48
Id love to check out your game on sunday... i run expeditions on sunday noon to 3pm PST which is 3-6 EST i think. not sure if i could make it... ive never played a single game of with savage worlds on FG could use a run down of how the GUI works in FG.

ty for your time :)

The game runs in the middle of your game unfortunately.

If you use G+ add me (link in my signature). I run Savage Worlds one-shots every month.

WansumBeats
September 5th, 2015, 18:38
Haha nice... i did a savage worlds fantasy grounds search in you tube and found your videos... watching them now ;)

The extensions you mention at the beginning.. they seem to be incorporated into FG now? I installed the NPC maker and man is that super cool for making NPCs.

Any extensions you recommend or all they all implemented now?

Mask_of_winter
September 5th, 2015, 19:32
Yeah, it seems like the extensions have become a testing ground for new features. When the Savage Worlds ruleset gets a new upgrade, they roll most of the extension features into the ruleset.

The desktop extension is still useful for the Raise Calculator.

But the library extension is my favorite. It's like a parser but it's wysiwyg. You don't have to mess with xml code, you make straight inside of FG. You can create any content you want the same way you would create an adventure module. So even if a setting you like isn't currently supported on FG, you can copy and paste the pdf, add edges, hindrance, arcane backgrounds, skills, gear, etc. and then share it with the players. It can take a few hours depending on the size of the book though. I usually only do the player's portion of it. I made one for Beasts & Barbarians, Lankhmar and Solomon Kane (95%) complete. It's pretty sweet.

D&D may get some high quality content, but I feel we're spoiled with Savage Worlds. The developers are doing a great job and we get neat features the other rulesets don't have.

Mask_of_winter
September 5th, 2015, 19:47
Oh and I have an actual play of Beasts & Barbarians out there too but it ain't in my youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m54btJhPHsA

WansumBeats
September 5th, 2015, 20:46
How do you handle templates? Im entering in Doc Lightning from the pre genereted characters... i see his burst uses cone template... is there an easy way to mark out cone template? the circle ones should be easy to do.. but the stock FAN would be way to wide

Trenloe
September 5th, 2015, 20:53
is there an easy way to mark out cone template?
The Savage Worlds ruleset has specific SW templates within the pointers menu (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images#Pointers)on an image. This includes a cone.

WansumBeats
September 5th, 2015, 20:57
O Snap i fn LOVE you TRENLOE!! that is awesome...

Crymoricus
September 6th, 2015, 00:15
Id like to start by keeping it simple.. and sticking with what i know.... fantasy.

If that's actually important to you, I'd totally go with Hellfrost. Really good traditional fantasy setting... gritty and heavy on atmosphere.

Lysander
September 6th, 2015, 04:26
Although there is nothing right out of the box for it in Fantasy Grounds, I hear 'Shaintar' is a good Fantasy Setting. As with most FG stuff, it's pretty easy to set up manually.

I currently run a game using the 'Evernight' World, but I don't run the actual series of modules, I'm doing my own thing, added a few races and changing it up. Evernight is supported by FG, although it's an old setting and I'm not sure what's in the store is directly compatible (I would expect it is, but I'm not in the know.) I didn't buy it since I am straying far from the plot material.

I hope you are able to get your story up and running. If you have any problems, ask the forums. We were all in your shoes at some point!

Ikael
September 6th, 2015, 07:23
The desktop extension is still useful for the Raise Calculator.

Raise calculator is also part of the core ruleset. No need to use Enhanced Desktop extension anymore.

Mask_of_winter
September 6th, 2015, 07:39
Raise calculator is also part of the core ruleset. No need to use Enhanced Desktop extension anymore.

Sweet, do I need the Desktop extension for anything then?

Ikael
September 6th, 2015, 08:24
Sweet, do I need the Desktop extension for anything then?

No you don't atm. I have been planning to remove anyways