PDA

View Full Version : Create an Effect that ends at "the end of your next turn"

neologiker
September 3rd, 2015, 00:45
I'm trying to add an Effect for the Guiding Bolt spell, which says "the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage". The effect text itself is pretty simple, just "GRANTADVATK", but I can't seem to figure out how to configure the duration and expend parameters so that it will actually end after my next turn (if nobody else attacks it, that is).

darrenan
September 3rd, 2015, 01:28
This is one that FG doesn't handle automatically, because effects are always expired at the beginning of your turn. I usually set the duration to 2 and then have the GM remove it at the end of my next turn.

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2015, 06:06
Or leave the duration at one and change the "Initiative to adjust on" to be just after the Init of the actor in question. e.g. if they have an init of 10, put the effect to expire next round and have the "Initiative to adjust on" set to 9, or even 9.9.

neologiker
September 3rd, 2015, 14:09
Or leave the duration at one and change the "Initiative to adjust on" to be just after the Init of the actor in question. e.g. if they have an init of 10, put the effect to expire next round and have the "Initiative to adjust on" set to 9, or even 9.9.

Thanks, Trenloe. I tried that, but it didn't work. When I do that, it still expires as it becomes my turn in the tracker. Setting it to 2 rounds and changing initiative as suggested does work, however.

Sure would be nice if we could set that behavior automatically. There are quite a few effects that behave that way, I believe. Is it a matter of appropriate events not being exposed in the programming model? Our just that nobody's written the logic yet? Is it something an extension could add?

damned
September 3rd, 2015, 14:18
It has been expressed just recently in another thread.
Effects are extremely complex to write the code for.
You can post requests on the official wishlist here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/
I had a look and didnt see it already there.

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2015, 15:47
Thanks, Trenloe. I tried that, but it didn't work. When I do that, it still expires as it becomes my turn in the tracker. QUOTE]
Works fine for me. See the example below:

1) Initiative of actor = 18.
2) Set "Initiative to adjust on" to 17.9.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/5E/Expire%20End%20of%20Next%20Turn%201.jpg

Then this effect is still active when it comes to the actor's turn, but expires immediately after their turn:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/5E/Expire%20End%20of%20Next%20Turn%202.jpg

If you set the effect on the actor's turn with an "Initiative to adjust on" of 0.1 after the actor's turn, then you'll need to set the duration to 2 rounds - as it will decrement by one immediately after the actor's first turn. It all depends when the GM changes the "Initiative to adjust on" - just keep an eye on when the GM does that in the combat turn. It's a little bit of manual work from the GM when the effect is first added, but that then means it will expire on the right point.

The issue can be if there are two (or more) actors on the same init value with the main actor being higher in the order. Then it's just worth increasing the actor's init value slightly - perhaps making the "Tester" actor in the above screenshot 18.2 and the "Initiative to adjust on" 18.1, for example.

Zacchaeus
September 3rd, 2015, 18:22
In the case of Guiding Bolt the effect is dragged from the PC onto an NPC, which I think is the reverse of what Trenloe is demonstrating. In that case the effect needs to be for two turns and the initiative to adjust on set to 17.9, otherwise the effect disappears as soon as the player who set the effect's turn starts. When it is set for two turns it will decrement to 1 turn as soon as the PC's turn ends (that's the turn on which the effect was placed). It will then remain in place until the PC ends their next turn.

I think this is what Trenloe is actually saying but I had to try it all out for myself and so I thought I'd add my tuppence worth anyway :)